Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

She Just Arrived! Having trouble pulling the trigger on lift and wheels.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking She Just Arrived! Having trouble pulling the trigger on lift and wheels.

This is my first post although I have used this site religiously for the past several months while getting ready to make the jump from TJ to JKU. Thanks to this site I was able to make a confident informed decision and ended up ordering my 12 black Sahara with all the trimmings last month. She arrived 2 days ago and I am more than thrilled with her(about a 4 week wait).

I've done extensive research on doing a lift and wheels and was ready to get it done as soon as she arrived,,, until she arrived. I am much more satisfied with the ride height and wheel/tire appearance than I thought I would be. I believe this is most because I am coming from an 06 X with the smallest wheel/tire possible. I believe I gained about 6", not sure. I have arranged to do a BDS 2.5" at an off road store ($800 parts $400 labor), 17" black Mamba MR1 or 17" black KMC XD Crank wheels and some 33" tires (not decided).

After reading so many posts I am having trouble being confident enough to get it done. On almost all moderate lifts is seems 95% are happy, 5% are not. I love the stock ride and do not want to mess that up. Also I upgraded the warranty to go 6 years so I sure don't want to mess that up. Am I being overly paranoid. Did anyone else have my same apprehensions but still did it. The obvious answer here is if I don't want to do it, don't and that'll save about $3,000 and possibly some headache. I'm just not sure if I don't want to or I'm afraid to. I originally pictured her jacked with aggressive tires and black 5 spoke wheels. I apologize for beating a dead horse, but this is a new horse for me and I am looking for people to yell at me, one way or the other.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-22_13-05-42_359 small.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	281815
Minor mods so far
clear front turn corner markers
door sill guards
Rugged Ridge grab handles
Mopar coat hangers
Mopar slush mats
Tuffy under seat box
Smittybily tailgate storage
K&N air filter

Last edited by ApolloBlueLine; 02-24-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Nice rig!

My advice would be to drive it for a few weeks or months before lifting it. You can always lift it later when you decide what you really want or need.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

^^ X2. A stock JK will surprise you with what it can do. Drive it for a few weeks/months, and go from there. Plus, it'll save you a lot of money if you do the lift yourself, most lifts (especially from 2-3") are super easy to install and don't require very many tools. If you're happy with the looks and performance now, keep it the way it is. If not, jack that sucker up!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheQuiet1
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Nice rig!

My advice would be to drive it for a few weeks or months before lifting it. You can always lift it later when you decide what you really want or need.
This is perfect advice. You have plenty of time to lift it. Drive it, make friends with other Jeepers and who knows maybe someone will let you drive their lifted Jeep and see what you think.

Lifted jeeps are awesome but not for everybody.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The best advice I can give is take your time and do tons of research before you buy.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

My GF has a 2010 and I got to drive it a bit, on and off-road.

My decison to get a 2012 included the fact that I wanted to NOT remain stock, but, I also didn't want to ruin the improved fuel economy of the 3.6 either.
In addition, I live in suburban NJ and my JK will see 95% street duty. I do want it to be capable off-road though so....
33's and a leveling kit seems to be my ultimate compromise setup.

If money was no object, and I still lived in CO, i'd have ordered a JKU and planned on 35s with an appropriate flexy lift.

It all depends on your needs and desires.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drove my 09 for 2 years before I lifted it and I am so happy I did now but there is no hurry. Enjoy it for a while then decide.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

congrats!!!

I can't seem not to lift them brand new...

My 09 was lifted with 255 miles! 4.5 inch Mopar long arm 37's - Dealer warrantied for as long as I had her.

My 12 is being lifted by the same dealer with an AEV 4.5 and 37's as we speak, and I haven't even taken delivery of the jeep since I purchased in Jan 31st! Written warranty from same dealer that lift and tires won't void factory lifetime bumper to bumper warranty!

I just love the way a lifted jeep looks and drives (if done correctly) !!!

Enjoy your jeep no matter what you do!!!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Newbie

I laugh every time I drive pass a stock Wrangler, they just don't look good without a little lift and bigger tires. That said, do your homework, but if you're doing tires/wheels do it soon, stock set up has good value, I sold mine for $1000.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by livin
congrats!!!

I can't seem not to lift them brand new...

My 09 was lifted with 255 miles! 4.5 inch Mopar long arm 37's - Dealer warrantied for as long as I had her.

My 12 is being lifted by the same dealer with an AEV 4.5 and 37's as we speak, and I haven't even taken delivery of the jeep since I purchased in Jan 31st! Written warranty from same dealer that lift and tires won't void factory lifetime bumper to bumper warranty!

I just love the way a lifted jeep looks and drives (if done correctly) !!!

Enjoy your jeep no matter what you do!!!
I am doing the same thing in CT, although I am going with the AEV 3.5 lift and 35's. The waiting is killing me! Below is the before picture at the dealership before the mods begin. Currently hoping to take delivery within the next 2 weeks...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3359703729.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	281967  

Quick Reply: She Just Arrived! Having trouble pulling the trigger on lift and wheels.