Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for a softer ride

Old 07-08-2016, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I bought these based on many positive reviews and I'm not mad at them but I certainly won't buy another set. The ride is alright but not stellar. The price of $45 a corner is tough to beat though.

I may go to the 9000x shocks next.
Its just a trend and they are cheap. Buy a cheap shock that can not be rebuilt and buying new shocks from time to time is what you are going to do. If you want a shock that you can get the best ride out of it then you are going to need to buy something that can be tuned for your ride. Like anything that is done right, it takes time and tinkering to get it set up.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by fishtailer
THanks to all for advice.
Dirtman,
If I read you right, are you recommending that I do go with a nitro shock?
My thoughts.
http://www.jkfreaks.com/forums/showt...uide-to-shocks
Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
THanks for the no-nonsense write-up. Based on this highly acclaimed technical bulletin, it appears that "nitro is the way to go." This treatise, and your Lift Bulletin, have provided interesting perspective, esp. the debate that followed the Lift offering in 2014...doubt you could forget. I have yet to finish reading the whole thread, but interesting sparring.

Will watch for green jeeps when I get back to fishing in CO.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I bought these based on many positive reviews and I'm not mad at them but I certainly won't buy another set. The ride is alright but not stellar. The price of $45 a corner is tough to beat though. I may go to the 9000x shocks next.

What dont you like about them ? I don't think ive heard a negative review yet.
Old 07-09-2016, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

They're just a shock, it's nothing special...very close to the factory ride. I had 5100's that were smoother on the interstate and ate up small potholes better. I've got a friend with fox and they're like glass on the interstate. All shocks were used with the same jeep, same coils, same tires, and same weight.

I also managed to blow out a 5000x so Rancho was on top of it and they sent out a replacement.....a standard 5000. That was an absolute joke. Those are purely hydraulic so there was zero rebound. They saw the difference in part numbers and sent out another replacement. Great service, just 'ehh' shocks in my book.

Last edited by karls10jk; 07-09-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancho 9000 worked for me with heavy Pitbulls. Tuning them in for your weight and ride expectations is the bonus.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Properly valved King's

Quick Reply: Shocks for a softer ride