Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop can't align lifted jeep without special ball joints

Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the title says, the alignment shop I took my jeep to says they can't correct the alignment without adjustable or offset ball joints. I have heard bad things about these like they are hard on axles and that they wear out quickly. Not to mention it costs around $600 to get them installed. The lift is a 2.5" RK max travel(new adj front track bar, and new adj f/r LCAs) and here are the specs of the alignment. Should I try another shop? Do you guys use these type of ball joints? Any other suggestions? Thanks a ton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140602_122251.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	557178

Last edited by JK_Convert; 06-02-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by JK_Convert
Like the title says, the alignment shop I took my jeep to says they can't correct the alignment without adjustable or offset ball joints. I have heard bad things about these like they are hard on axles and that they wear out quickly. Not to mention it costs around $600 to get them installed. The lift is a 2.5" RK max travel, and here are the specs of the alignment. Should I try another shop? Do you guys use these type of ball joints? Any other suggestions? Thanks a ton.

Attachment 557178
they should have set your toe anyway. That is pretty accurate that camber can not really be adjusted without offset ball joints and caster would need either geo correction brackets or adjustable control arms.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

I have adjustable control arms(forgot to mention that in the op, sorry) so it sounds like I am good on the caster. Is there any other option for the camber?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had same problem when I put my Teraflex 2.5" coil lift on. The dealership where I bought it did my alignment. And the suspension guru said the same thing about the only way is with adj ball joints and/or adj control arms. He said he wouldn't do the ball joints especially since the jeep only had 1000 miles on it. He set the toe and got the camber and caster as close in green as possible. My launch angle was almost perfect so no issue there either. Jeep has 7200 miles now and rides smooth with no issues
Old 06-02-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everything on your sheet can be properly adjusted, expect for camber. Your camber spec is not far enough off to be an issue. I have one side that is further out of spec than that and have no issue. That very small amount out of spec won't hurt anything. You'll even corner a little better
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have added that you need to reduce caster. Right now you are running a negative pinion angle. Between 4.5-5 is good for a lifted JK. You have a bit too much toe-in as well. I found that with 37s, the high end of stock range (.12) drives really well.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Everything on your sheet can be properly adjusted, expect for camber. Your camber spec is not far enough off to be an issue. I have one side that is further out of spec than that and have no issue. That very small amount out of spec won't hurt anything. You'll even corner a little better
I agree that left camber is about as close as can be. I just had my 14 on the alignment rack and it was further out then that and the tech said that almost all new wranglers are coming right off the rail car that way. He said is more uncommon to see the left side actually in spec vs then out of spec. my left was -0.9.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks a ton for all of this info. I am going to get it aligned either tomorrow or Wednesday with this new info.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your caster is way too high and yourtoed in too much as well
Old 06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

My lift manufacture (Rancho) lists alignment specs as follows:
Caster 4.6° ±1.0°
Camber (fixed angle) -0.25° ±0.63°
Toe-In (each wheel) 0.15° ±0.15°
Thrust Angle 0 ±0.15°

No way I would use adjustable offset ball joints to fix caster.

Quick Reply: Shop can't align lifted jeep without special ball joints