Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short arm VS Long arm

Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short arm VS Long arm

Hi guys, I have a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited with 4" lift running 37" tyres.

I currently just run control arm drop brackets on the front, but am however looking to get adjustable short arms or possibly even long arms to better the ride and move the wheels back to the centre of the wheel arches.

If I choose to go short arm, I've decided on the full Synergy kit with Dual Durometer bushings (example here https://www.sbroffroad.com.au/Suspen...r-Control-Arms )

However I'd like some feedback from those running long arms, I understand that it will be a lot of work, more costly, but that it'll give better performance.

Is anyone running long arms able to give some hands on feedback on what they're running, and why they like it?

Cheers,
Aaron

Pic of my Jeep as it currently sits
Click image for larger version

Name:	hankooks.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	675092
Old 09-25-2017, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Most long arm kits are poorly designed and offer little over a good short arm kit like the synergy or metal cloak. If you really want improved performance find a shop that knows what it is doing and have a custom long arm suspension built.

All short arm kits use the factory control arm mounts where long arm kits will have control arm mounts different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Those mount locations will affect eh geometry and clearance so be mindful of the mounts if you do buy a long arm kit.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dirtman nailed it as always. Just to add a few of my thoughts...

With 4" lift you are on the tipping point where a long arm makes sense. I'm also running about 4" lift measured.

I think you can base your decision on how you see yourself using the jeep. If you want to favor off-road use I actually would recommend the short arm Synergy kit you have picked out. It's pretty much what I have. If you want to favor ride quality on road at the expense of clearance off-road, then look into long arms.

PS. If anyone tries to tell you that long arms are better off-road at 4" and under lift height, well they are simply wrong. Short arms will allow you all the travel a shock mounted in a JK factory mount can give and then some, plus you won't be hanging yourself up on lower hanging arms and mounts.

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-26-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Yeah - maybe it would help with axle steer but I hate how all the mounts and arms dangle down below the frame.

Seems like somebody should come out with a new, better kit. I'm not talented enough to work out the geometry for myself :-)
Old 09-26-2017, 02:22 PM
JK Newbie

On road comfort is already pretty great, I think if anything my shocks would be the factor on that (well-used Bilsteins).

I'm thinking a short arm kit would be the go then if minimal gain off-road, also saves a lot of coin and work.

Cheers guys!
Old 09-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sea bass
Yeah - maybe it would help with axle steer but I hate how all the mounts and arms dangle down below the frame.

Seems like somebody should come out with a new, better kit. I'm not talented enough to work out the geometry for myself :-)
Not all long arm kits are created equal. Some kits are engineered to get your brackets up out of the way.

https://www.facebook.com/RKSuspension/videos/1131550346865224/
Old 09-27-2017, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

correct, too bad you don't raise the axle side lower brackets and really do something about clearance. Raising the frame side while leaving the axle end stock increases axle steer and requires more steering corrections while driving down the road. Think about it, do you really gain clearance by raising the high end on something or the low end. Its amazing how these experts in suspension can't see this simple way to improve on the suspension.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Maybe get this one
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo788.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	675117  
Old 09-27-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Maybe get this one
GenRight's Terremoto with their suspension...a better designed system than the RK system.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe get this one
Wonder what all was done to get the flat belly?
That is the most impressive thing I see on that rig at a quick look.

Quick Reply: Short arm VS Long arm