Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I remove my carpet?

Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I remove my carpet?

So I get a ton of sand in my jeep from trails and the dog jumping in the car. I want to remove the carpet cause it a PITA having all that sand stay in the carpet. My question is, if i were to remove the carpet and leave it bare till i possibly rhino line it some time in the future, how bad (or not bad) would it be without the carpet. I would think it would be noisier on the highway, and would my music cover it like it does for my tire noise? Would you think i would NEED floor mats if i did this? (Also I live in Florida if that matters) Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I've run no carpet for almost 4 years. Like you, I say I'll bedline sometime
Mine came out within the hour of bringing it home from the dealership and I have zero regrets.

Kids, dogs, trails, beaches, it all gets sprayed out and runs down the drain holes

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
jdinny (01-08-2018)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I pulled my carpet maybe 5 months or so ago. So tired of dirt/dust and dog hair. I have the Quadrratec floor slush mats. Couple observations:

1. the mats don’t fit all that great without the carpet (as you’d expect)
2. the mats move around quite a bit without the plastic anchor in the carpet
3. haven't been super successful trying to use the same anchor without the carpet
4. the tub gets a bit warm without the mats, but not end of the world i guess unless barefoot maybe
5. without the mats the sound deadening junk is an eye soar
6. the noise level is definitely a bit louder, but it doesn't bother me. my top is off most the time
7. if you don't mind the utilitarian look, it's not that bad at all
8. most the dust that was an issue before remains an issue...it coats the metal instead of the carpet

I am in the process of prepping to raptor line mine. I just started pulling the moldings and working on the sound deadening goo. I am pretty sure once done, I'm just going to scrap the floormats all together. I do expect a little warmth from the bottom of the tub, but nothing that is aggravating. I would say if you're ok with the look, the sound and heat are not issues that should prevent you from pulling it out. I do see how the look might not be for everyone. I pulled roll bar padding, have no fenders, jeep is always dirty, and top is almost always off....so I didn't have an issue. If budget is not an obstacle, I would say that bedtred is a nice product as an alternatice. It's pricey (especially if you have a 4dr), but it does have insulation for the heat and noise and doesn't attract fur like a magnet.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah I pulled mine and threw them out after the first time I got stuck in deep water.

No noticeable difference in noise, the Jeep is already loud as heck. No noticeable increase in heat in the footwells. Maybe I just don't sweat as easily as others? My feet stay toasty, but the footwells aren't radiating heat or anything.

As for floor mats: no you don't need them, but you'll want them. Makes cleaning up a whole lot easier, and it looks 'right.'
Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been without mine for about 3 years or so. Pulled them after I got caught topless and doorless in a stupid strong downpour. Still hopping to get it bedlined one day, but it's not too bad.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at the product that Bedrug makes Bed Tred? It's not carpet but helps with the deadening of sound/insulation a touch. I want to pull my carpets but need something (northeast winters and kids) so I'll probably go that route... it seems like a good compromise
Old 12-14-2017, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default recommend line-x

Definitely pull the carpet.

It will be louder, hotter/colder, and much easier to clean (high pressure air, vacuum, garden hose).

Line-X will help with the noise and some of the heat, though it is not the same as having thick insulation below the carpet. I don't use floor mats with the Line-X, and see no reason to as it grips pretty well and holds-up well to wear.

Hard Top off, climate is not an issue. Hard Top on, I installed HotHead Headliners with Sound Assassin, makes a big difference.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2 dr, that is owned by my 2 GSDs. I went with the BedTred liners, they provide insulation, are claw-proof, and super easy to clean. Hair just blows out now, great for Tailgaters...
The sections have Velcro Strips to anchor them, so no "sailing" with top and doors off.
Much less labor-intensive than Bed Liners to install, and removeable if you want for any reason.
The following users liked this post:
JoeRif (01-08-2018)
Old 12-26-2017, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the BedTred. Run no carpet for a few months, wasn't bad, but once I put the BedTred in I love it. Water, sand, grass, dirt, hair (German Shepard) who cares. I take my leaf blower and all goes right out the door. Leave the plugs out if you do it.(Of course)
Old 01-08-2018, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Pulled them out of the JK after a few weeks. We use safari top and soft doors when raining in summer so it would always be wet with carpets in.
Wife and I actually like it better without carpets for all the reasons mentioned above.
Ours is gecko and we think the interior looks better with the gecko showing

Take 'em out, you won't regret it

Quick Reply: Should I remove my carpet?