Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I try out these tires?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Should I try out these tires?

Suretrac Wideclimber MT

I can get a set of 5 of these for $1490 CND installed including tax. They're made in China but otherwise look like decent tires and I like the tread pattern. Pretty much any of the big name brand tires would cost an extra $1000 +. Any reason I shouldn't try these out?

RT 256 Premium Steer
Old 12-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

They don't have siping so they won't be great in the ice/ rain.

You should describe your driving style and mileage before asking for advice on tires.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
They don't have siping so they won't be great in the ice/ rain.

You should describe your driving style and mileage before asking for advice on tires.

I'm not expecting any mud tire to be great in rain and especially on ice, so that's why I alter my driving habits when the weather is lousy. I am not very heavy on the gas pedal, don't care to "show off". I don't do a lot of highway driving, mostly in town to work and back and I offroad occasionaly. Planning to get a little more adventurous offroad with the Jeep now that the loan associated with it is finally going to be paid off here in a few months.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 12-06-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you were in the us id have some cheaper options to give but the over the border shipping would probably kill the savings.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cedarraider
If you were in the us id have some cheaper options to give but the over the border shipping would probably kill the savings.

It's a joke how much they charge for a set of big brand tires up here in Canada....and I've heard some local guys say these tires last just as long as expensive brands.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
It's a joke how much they charge for a set of big brand tires up here in Canada....and I've heard some local guys say these tires last just as long as expensive brands.
I'm sure. It's usually a matter of maintenance. If you are close to the birder I'd say get a PO box and jump the border. I had a buddy that did that regularly. I'm going with maxxis razr 35s and can have 5 shipped for about $1165. Maybe look at treadwright they aren't retreads any more but re-molds. And are pretty cheap under 200 each for 35s.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Never heard of them, but the tread pattern reminds me a bit of the maxxis bighorns I ran a few years back. They did fine both on and off road. For that kind of savings, might be worth taking a chance.

One thing I did notice was "is designed to help full-sized pickups... " so I would guess that they are E-rated, and might be fairly stiff under a jeep. Some people are ok with E, others not so much.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:58 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Never heard of them, but the tread pattern reminds me a bit of the maxxis bighorns I ran a few years back. They did fine both on and off road. For that kind of savings, might be worth taking a chance.

One thing I did notice was "is designed to help full-sized pickups... " so I would guess that they are E-rated, and might be fairly stiff under a jeep. Some people are ok with E, others not so much.
Yes, they are E-rated, but so were the Toyo MT's I ran for 7 years. Didn't bother me too much.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
Suretrac Wideclimber MT

I can get a set of 5 of these for $1490 CND installed including tax. They're made in China but otherwise look like decent tires and I like the tread pattern. Pretty much any of the big name brand tires would cost an extra $1000 +. Any reason I shouldn't try these out?

RT 256 Premium Steer
I know your in Canada. I purchased some 295/70/17 Master Craft Coursers. They are sipped, load E rated, M/T made by Cooper and a hell of a lot cheaper then the Pro's. I have been very happy with mine. I guarantee those will have to be rotated sooner than later and as mentioned will not do that well in rain. I had ordered 315's, but felt they were too big for me and were still pretty affordable.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by catahoula
I know your in Canada. I purchased some 295/70/17 Master Craft Coursers. They are sipped, load E rated, M/T made by Cooper and a hell of a lot cheaper then the Pro's. I have been very happy with mine. I guarantee those will have to be rotated sooner than later and as mentioned will not do that well in rain. I had ordered 315's, but felt they were too big for me and were still pretty affordable.

If you look closely, the ones I was looking at are siped as well down the center tread blocks. The Mastercraft have a few extra sipes on the outer lugs, but not enough that would lead me to believe they are any better.

Quick Reply: Should I try out these tires?