Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skid Plates

Old 09-24-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ronin2120
If your big into rock crawling and will use your skids I would caution against the evo set up. I used them and although they held up well the biggest challenge they posed was with their engine skid tying into the drives side control arm mount. Once you start bouncing on that skid you will make it challenging to remove or reinstall when working with that control arm. It's a good set up but I'm glad I swapped to the rock hard skids.
I have the evos and rock crawl never had an issue, but I have synergy LCA's which adjust on the jeep so I never had to remove the arm from the mount to adjust it lol
Old 09-24-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biginboca
You don't have the crossmember skid. That's the one which ties into the control arm mount
He said engine skid. Not crossmember skid.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"
Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mojave MAX
I dealt with the heavy issue by getting the Rockhard Aluminum version. Since I am not aggressive in my rock crawling the rep said it would be fine. It is more expensive, but its 40 lbs lighter and the mechanic really likes the oil pan door.
I have been looking at the aluminum skid as well. Balancing $ vs. weight. After running with them for a while, still happy with your choice?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's a singular anomaly.
Doubtful.
But when lots of cash is spent on my jeep I can't really ever find a reason to be mad about what has been purchased.

Had an aluminum rear bumper, it did ok, but would gouge, on steep descents, on the corners.

Love the aluminum front with synthetic line I dropped nearly 30#.

Sounds like a late night info brainwash.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wcjeeper
I have been looking at the aluminum skid as well. Balancing $ vs. weight. After running with them for a while, still happy with your choice?
Yes they have a few scratches after a couple of rocks on Gold Mtn and what I call the waterfall area by Pontiac Sluice. Actually they look better than the screw head that is half gone.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

So it’s been a year, are you still happy with the gas tank skid? How was install?

thanks

matthew

Originally Posted by resharp001
I was the winner of the Rock Hard skids last week. They were shipped and received in less than a week, and as of last night, are officially on the jeep! Everything about them speaks of quality, right down to the packing and instructions. The transfer case and oil/tranny skids bolted right up with zero alignment issues even though my cross member had taken a good bit of abuse. My factory gas skid/hanger was pretty beat up. I removed it the previous weekend and hammered it back in to general shape. I had one minor struggle getting the last bolt to line up when installing the RH skid over that, but that was due to my previous handy work with the factory skid. Getting re-geared and then it’s time to hit the trails again…..now with a bit more peace of mind! For now, only have pics of damaged factory gas skid and the nice boxes that Rock Hard sent me. I need to snap some with the skids on before getting scraped up. I’d have no issues recommending these skids. It’s really hard to argue with the price of the Rock Hard compared to some of the other systems out there. The fit, finish, and quality are spot on. I would strongly suggest you don’t skimp/pass on a gas skid. If forced to choose, I’d go with an oil/tranny and a gas skid, and stretch the life of the factory TC skid. Don’t let your factory gas skid turn out like mine!

Attachment 657261Attachment 657262Attachment 657263Attachment 657260Attachment 657264Attachment 657265
Old 10-07-2017, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I’ve done a lot of tough wheeling this year, and the only skid I have added is the oil pan. There’s no telling how many times I’ve drug bottom over rocks and ledges. The factory skids have held up very well. Lots of scratches but hardly any dents. I have a standard trans so don’t have that area to protect like an auto does. I’m very impressed with the factory parts.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:04 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeOK
I’ve done a lot of tough wheeling this year, and the only skid I have added is the oil pan. There’s no telling how many times I’ve drug bottom over rocks and ledges. The factory skids have held up very well. Lots of scratches but hardly any dents. I have a standard trans so don’t have that area to protect like an auto does. I’m very impressed with the factory parts.
Mike - your wheelbase isn't as suseptible to riding on the gas skid, but on the 4dr that sucker is where we always end up, making the factory "skid" (or rather gas tank "hanger") pretty inadequate. My factory was damaged terribly. I took it off and beat it back to flag with a sledge (my neighbors loved that one morning) before installing the new over it. Also, it's not a fun job at all....even when you have an empty gas tank. I think I spent more time trying to keep the fuel tank in place as I dropped the skid so I wouldn't have to undo any fuel lines. PITA that I wouldn't want to do again.

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
So it’s been a year, are you still happy with the gas tank skid? How was install?
Y, I'm still happy and they are getting good use. Install was pretty easy and straightforward. Gas skid was probably the hardest, but some of that was due to damage on my factory.....so when I beat that damage back out causing a couple not flush areas the new skid was mating to. I did struggle getting one of the frame bolts to line up, but it's really more about using a floor jack in the proper place. If I recall....I tried to install both frame side bolts when it was loose....and tighten them up together, but what I ended up having to do was get one in tight all the way, then use a floor jack just around the 2nd one to press it firmly in place, THEN put the bolt in.

I would say a couple things in general that are not manufacturer specific. If you're going to wheel a 4dr over rocks, gas skid is a must. Even if it is the cheapest gas skid out there and not part of a whole system. Throw something over that factory POS. I still think that the factory TC skid isn't all that bad, and it would be the last thing I replaced in regards to skids if on a budget. I'd probably choose to relocate the evap on the '12+ rather than put a skid over it. I'd prefer it was just out of the way. With a skid it's still there to get hung up on something....albeit a bit more protected. Also, if you're looking at a full system, by all means get a new HD cross member at the same time.

Edit - just realized you had a 2dr Matthew. I'd still stand by covering up that factory gas skid.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Mike - your wheelbase isn't as suseptible to riding on the gas skid, but on the 4dr that sucker is where we always end up, making the factory "skid" (or rather gas tank "hanger") pretty inadequate. My factory was damaged terribly. I took it off and beat it back to flag with a sledge (my neighbors loved that one morning) before installing the new over it. Also, it's not a fun job at all....even when you have an empty gas tank. I think I spent more time trying to keep the fuel tank in place as I dropped the skid so I wouldn't have to undo any fuel lines. PITA that I wouldn't want to do again.

Y, I'm still happy and they are getting good use. Install was pretty easy and straightforward. Gas skid was probably the hardest, but some of that was due to damage on my factory.....so when I beat that damage back out causing a couple not flush areas the new skid was mating to. I did struggle getting one of the frame bolts to line up, but it's really more about using a floor jack in the proper place. If I recall....I tried to install both frame side bolts when it was loose....and tighten them up together, but what I ended up having to do was get one in tight all the way, then use a floor jack just around the 2nd one to press it firmly in place, THEN put the bolt in.

I would say a couple things in general that are not manufacturer specific. If you're going to wheel a 4dr over rocks, gas skid is a must. Even if it is the cheapest gas skid out there and not part of a whole system. Throw something over that factory POS. I still think that the factory TC skid isn't all that bad, and it would be the last thing I replaced in regards to skids if on a budget. I'd probably choose to relocate the evap on the '12+ rather than put a skid over it. I'd prefer it was just out of the way. With a skid it's still there to get hung up on something....albeit a bit more protected. Also, if you're looking at a full system, by all means get a new HD cross member at the same time.

Edit - just realized you had a 2dr Matthew. I'd still stand by covering up that factory gas skid.
went from a 4 door 2014 jkur to a 2 door 2016 jkr and agree whole heartedly. I have done Moab many times, Colorado trails, Rubicon, Dusy ershim all the local trials in Montana and with the 4 door the only skid that got a regular work out was the gas tank skid. First thing I did was add a gas tank skid to my 2 door and after a trip to Moab which we ran some of the tougher trials (not BFE or pritchet etc) ie behind the rocks, Kane creek, Golden Spike etc and Colorado I did not have a mark on the 2 doors belly anywhere.

Quick Reply: Skid Plates