Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slider opinions

Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We built our own sliders and mounted to the frame
Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

I've seen severe body damage from tub mounted sliders and sliders mounted from the body mounts.

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 12-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
OR-FAB

Go with the OR-Fab Sliders

The OR-Fab JK Rock Slider is far more superior than the OEM Rubicon slider do to the fact that it is specifically engineered to strengthen the lower rocker by anchoring the body seam to the lower JK body channel with laser cut & formed 3/16” thick A36 sheet metal. We prefer to anchor the rock sliders to the body, rather than the frame, due to the fact that the body is not designed to flex under extreme off-roading conditions and the frame is designed to slightly twist under extreme conditions. Also many people choose to install body lifts on to their JK’s, another thing, JK’s tend to look better with the slider attached to the body rather than the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84307_Vehicle.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	402763Click image for larger version

Name:	REAR-RED-JEEP.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	402764
Old 12-28-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by palehorse
The ACE sliders are "a quality frame mounted slider."

What do you think the body bolts that ACE uses are bolted to? Oh, that's right, they're bolted to (and through) the frame. Hell, you can even get their welded version if you want.

There is plenty of video evidence and testimony that the bolt-on ACE sliders do exactly what they're designed to do, and they do it without flinching.

Why are you differentiating between ACE and other frame-mounted sliders?
Because, ACE sliders are not even in the same category as any of the other manufacturers being listed here. In fact there is another thread that got really out of control when all the guys running ACE got bent out of shape defending ACE sliders, but then still had to explain that to keep from damaging their rocker panels it was necessary to run stock rubicon factory rail as a back up. And even then with stock rails, a few jeeps still received damage from ACE sliders bending into the body. And like you stated, there is plenty of evidence and testimony saying the ACE are not worth it for anyone who is going to play in rocks, especially big rocks.
Hope this helps in why I was differentiating between ACE and other frame-mounted sliders, bottom line they are insufficient for rough play
Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ACE sliders are "a quality frame mounted slider."

What do you think the body bolts that ACE uses are bolted to? Oh, that's right, they're bolted to (and through) the frame. Hell, you can even get their welded version if you want.

There is plenty of video evidence and testimony that the bolt-on ACE sliders do exactly what they're designed to do, and they do it without flinching.

Why are you differentiating between ACE and other frame-mounted sliders?
I would guess because the bolted Ace Rails use the body mount bolts. I wouldnt be comfortable with this but the ACE welded actually tie into the frame and I think would be as good as any.

Ive personally seen two Jeeps with body damage from body mounted (skin type) sliders. They are a bad Idea and dont hold up. I built my own but if I were going to buy them I would go EVO.

Rob
Old 12-28-2012, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See that's what I was thinking. While I really do like the look of body mounted sliders it seems like when you hit a rock with them that it would transfer that energy into the body and I feel like the body wouldn't handle that well. But then you have reputable companies building them and I wonder that maybe I am wrong. Maybe body mounted sliders are more than capable of handling the load and not transfering it to the body. I plan on keeping the Jeep a while and I do realize that at some point it will most likely get body damage from playing in the rocks. However, if I can make wise choices from the beginning and limit the possibilities of body damage that sounds like a better idea. Hence my initial question.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigSteve
See that's what I was thinking. While I really do like the look of body mounted sliders it seems like when you hit a rock with them that it would transfer that energy into the body and I feel like the body wouldn't handle that well. But then you have reputable companies building them and I wonder that maybe I am wrong. Maybe body mounted sliders are more than capable of handling the load and not transfering it to the body. I plan on keeping the Jeep a while and I do realize that at some point it will most likely get body damage from playing in the rocks. However, if I can make wise choices from the beginning and limit the possibilities of body damage that sounds like a better idea. Hence my initial question.
You know if you really like the look of the body mounted sliders, there is the option to go with Nemesis. I have wheeled right next to one of their company rigs on the hardest trails Colorado has to offer and I was amazed at how well they worked. Just do an Internet search for their sliders, tons of YouTube video too. It really is the only body mounted slider that can receive as much punishment as an EVO frame mounted slider. Very high end finish to them, I think they are also priced fairly high, but ultimately worth it if it saves you from body damage. By the way, I ran Teraflex body mounted sliders prior to my EVO's and I can say that they held up okay, but we're going to eventually fail from the abuse I was giving them. So again, I think the Nemesis body mounted sliders are probably the best in that category.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
Because, ACE sliders are not even in the same category as any of the other manufacturers being listed here. In fact there is another thread that got really out of control when all the guys running ACE got bent out of shape defending ACE sliders, but then still had to explain that to keep from damaging their rocker panels it was necessary to run stock rubicon factory rail as a back up. And even then with stock rails, a few jeeps still received damage from ACE sliders bending into the body. And like you stated, there is plenty of evidence and testimony saying the ACE are not worth it for anyone who is going to play in rocks, especially big rocks.
Hope this helps in why I was differentiating between ACE and other frame-mounted sliders, bottom line they are insufficient for rough play
You know what they say about opinions...
Old 12-28-2012, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Taboo customs. That is where I got mine from. They are custom and reasonably priced. I have had my 4 door resting on those only.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

You know what they say about opinions...
Come on man, be nice. No need to go there.

Quick Reply: Slider opinions