Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt bumpers

Old 06-20-2014, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have SRC front. And went with something different for the rear for a different look . Src is good. No problems whatsoever. I went with teraflex hd hinged carrier. No problems at all. Stay away from Smitty bilt tire carrier.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the XRC in front and back and so far I am very happy with them. The tire carrier is solid and stays latched.

Sent from my JKU!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is 18 months old along with my sidesteps. Only part that has rubbed off are the parts that I have slammed into rock. I am very happy with smittybilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	560838  
Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mickjeeper
I have the src rear with tire carrier. Powder coat had held up, but the tire carrier is a POS. The handle is a bastard to close and then won't stay locked. You will drive down the road and the next thing you know you can see you rear tire in your passenger mirror. I put a bungee cord on it now to hold it, but that is not exactly the look I wanted . I sent them an email about it, but to my amazement I got no response. I guess I'll save up and get a teraflex hinge. I do like the look of the new gen 2 src bumper that is supposed to be coming out though .
Try calling them direct. Me another person who delt with thier customer service has been happy. But I will admit they must not like thier email. I would try calling them. What is the worst that could happen?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM
JK Newbie

I had the Smitty rear bumper/ tire carriers my 2 door 09 jk and the bumper was great tire carrier POS opened all the time had to drop kick it to close after adjusting it 1000000000 times don't do it .
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have the front stinger...Cheap and built solid unlike my terrible choice of FabFours for the rear. Also have the xrc armor which is solid but a pain in the arse to get to fit right.

Cheers
Old 06-20-2014, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default I have SRC front on 12' JKUrubi

I have the SRC front bumper. Installed 6/12 so 2 years of hard use on it. I have the Warn 4.0Zeon winch mounted in the bumper. I have winched the jeep from the front out of very deep holes with no problem. I have winched using a snatch block to the D rings to double the tow power to pull out of a hole and over rocks on a steep uphill which was putting close to 12000lbs+ of load on the bumper.

I currently tow the jeep behind my motorhome using the D'ring tabs on the front bumper connected by a Roadmaster tow bar. There has been no strain or wear on the bumper from the towing. And that includes hard towing up and down mountain overpasses and hard braking which buts a heavy load on the bumper!

Very pleased with the bumper.

If something impacts the bumper and scratches through the powder coat the exposed area will rust very quickly. Touch up paint (like rustoleum) is a must!

I also had an XRC front bumper on my previous JK from 2/09 to 6/12 and it held up with no rust and no problems just fine! I did winch with it a few times but not as extreme as I have with the current one.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am running the src stinger and love it also have the xrc with tire carrier and it has been great no complaints yet.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dwcrisp
I have the SRC front bumper. Installed 6/12 so 2 years of hard use on it. I have the Warn 4.0Zeon winch mounted in the bumper. I have winched the jeep from the front out of very deep holes with no problem. I have winched using a snatch block to the D rings to double the tow power to pull out of a hole and over rocks on a steep uphill which was putting close to 12000lbs+ of load on the bumper.

I currently tow the jeep behind my motorhome using the D'ring tabs on the front bumper connected by a Roadmaster tow bar. There has been no strain or wear on the bumper from the towing. And that includes hard towing up and down mountain overpasses and hard braking which buts a heavy load on the bumper!

Very pleased with the bumper.

If something impacts the bumper and scratches through the powder coat the exposed area will rust very quickly. Touch up paint (like rustoleum) is a must!

I also had an XRC front bumper on my previous JK from 2/09 to 6/12 and it held up with no rust and no problems just fine! I did winch with it a few times but not as extreme as I have with the current one.
The actual bumper isn't what I'm concerned with. It's the tire carrier that I'm worried about. The main reason I'm buying a rear bumper first is so I can take the load of the 33 in tire that was on the Jeep when I bought it off of the tailgate. Did you have any issues with the tire carrier?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the SRC rear w/tire carrier for a little over a year and it just started coming open when I hit a big bump. Not cool doing 70 on the highway. But I just made a strap for it and no problems. Plus the strap is behind the tire so it doesn't look funny. Other then that it's a great bumper/TC combo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-797009902.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	560854   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1224766511.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	560855  

Quick Reply: Smittybilt bumpers