Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smittybilt Tire Carrier Opened Up While Driving Again

Old 06-15-2018, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Smittybilt is great on customer service. They called regarding my email, apologized numerous times for taking a few days, and is shipping the new handle free of charge. $140 complimentary....couldnt ask for better!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by socal73
Smittybilt is great on customer service. They called regarding my email, apologized numerous times for taking a few days, and is shipping the new handle free of charge. $140 complimentary....couldnt ask for better!
Good deal man! So they're sending you a new handle assembly? The market for jeep products is a tough biz, no doubt. Customer service is were companies can help set themselves apart. I would never say Smittybilt has the best quality parts, but they are fairly solid, and they for sure stand behind things as a company. Glad you will have some resolution to your problem!
Old 06-15-2018, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Good deal man! So they're sending you a new handle assembly? The market for jeep products is a tough biz, no doubt. Customer service is were companies can help set themselves apart. I would never say Smittybilt has the best quality parts, but they are fairly solid, and they for sure stand behind things as a company. Glad you will have some resolution to your problem!
Yes they are. He asked if I had a receipt and I told him no the bumper was on my Jeep when I bought it and he said its a safety issue so we are going to help you out. Pretty nice of them
Old 04-27-2022, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by socal73

I have a Smittybilt rear tire carrier on my JK. Somehow the handle has opened up twice now going down the road. I can find no reason/any way this could be happening. First time it happened, I have checked it to ensure secure every morning before I leave....today....the rattling stopped which I found odd, so I looked in mirror and carrier had released and was at a 45 degree angle to the Jeep!

Started looking online and found a "Tech Update/Corrective Action" from internal Smittybilt saying apparently this has happened before and they made a handle with a locking pin to keep it from opening up. Anyone heard of this? Going to email them and see if they have ideas but I dont see how it's letting go while moving......
Smitybuilt has an updated part number from Smitty built #76856-05. This redesign gets rid of the rest in tab were you pull up the locking ring and simply has a deeper locking ring. So far the fit is quite tight so I’m confident that I won’t have my spare tire carrier swinging behind me again.

Quick Reply: Smittybilt Tire Carrier Opened Up While Driving Again