JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Smittybilt XRC Flat Fender/ Body Armor Rear bumper Install w/ Pics (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/smittybilt-xrc-flat-fender-body-armor-rear-bumper-install-w-pics-330766/)

tarpon4me 02-16-2016 07:16 AM

Smittybilt XRC Flat Fender/ Body Armor Rear bumper Install w/ Pics

17 Attachment(s)
The installation of these fenders is pretty straightforward, but since people like play by plays with pictures, I figured I would post one up.

First of all, the fenders are all steel, black powder coated and match my Body Armor rear bumper PERFECTLY. ( I swapped my rear bumper at the same time too) They were packaged well and are well built.

Start off by removing the stock fenders. The directions say there are 5 bolts in the front, but there's actually 6 counting the one on the fender support. Remove the six bolts, unhook the side marker light, and snatch them off. It's loud when you pull them off the jeep, but it's all good.

Attachment 637884Attachment 637885Attachment 637886

Now that you've got the fronts off, take a minute and clean up the paint where they were. Since I decided to reuse the front inner liner, I also used a pair of vinyl scissors and trimmed them for reinstall. Real easy, just cut strait down along the seam where the fender sticks out. I used a couple oversized washers and reused the bolts to install the liner. on the bottom, we drilled a hole in the pinch seam and zip tied it.

Attachment 637887Attachment 637885Attachment 637886Attachment 637888

With all that done, the installation of the fender is really easy. First, drink a beer, I recommend Samual Adams. Now, grab you a handful of nuts and bolts and have at it. They line up nice and don't be afraid to tighten them down.

Attachment 637889Attachment 637890Attachment 637891

Ok, time for the rears. Super easy. You remove 6 plastic push connectors. Don't try to save them, snatch them out. Then, same as the front, snatch them off. By now, the beer was really good, so we didn't take beer breaks. We drank and worked at the same time. HA!

Attachment 637893Attachment 637894

Once you get those off, you install two bolts and 5 self tapping screws and your done. Really easy installation. The big white area in the back I rattle canned. Probably do spray bed liner or reinstall the rear wheel wells if I get bored.

Attachment 637895Attachment 637896

Bumper installation is pretty strait forward. Remove the bumper, remove the tow hook and install the bumper with the provided hardware. Took about 15 minutes. I will say this. With the stock tire carrier and this bumper, you will NOT clear a tire any taller than a 33 without an aftermarket tire carrier or a wheel spacer. I have the Teraflex HD hinge and was planning on upgrading to their tire carrier anyhow when my Spare tire grows up.

Attachment 637897Attachment 637898Attachment 637899

Finished product. Just add 35's. Special thanks to my Buddy Stuart for snapping the pictures and providing a warm place to wrench on the jeep. :

Attachment 637900Attachment 637901

Thors_hammer 02-16-2016 07:20 AM

Best play by play I have ever read lol, looks good

CopyGuy 02-16-2016 07:28 AM

So what I'm reading is , blah blah blah, drink a beer, blah blah blah , drink a beer, blah blah blah, fenders and bumper, blah blah blah , drink more beer. 🍻🍻🍻🍻

tarpon4me 02-16-2016 07:30 AM

that's about how it went. HAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Thanks again for the help man. Hopefully we will be doing your bumper and winch next weekend.

Originally Posted by CopyGuy (Post 4188510)
So what I'm reading is , blah blah blah, drink a beer, blah blah blah , drink a beer, blah blah blah, fenders and bumper, blah blah blah , drink more beer. 🍻🍻🍻🍻

SOAZ JK 02-18-2016 08:20 AM

Looks good, now grab some black rattle-can and clean up those inner fenders :beer::beer::beer:

tarpon4me 02-18-2016 08:51 AM

Did that the very next day. Plastidipped the front bracket and a couple other areas and painted the rear inner fender. Looks MUCH better. :beer:

Originally Posted by SOAZ JK (Post 4189200)
Looks good, now grab some black rattle-can and clean up those inner fenders :beer::beer::beer:

iJeremy 03-01-2016 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 639253

Looking good!, very similar to my build.