Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Break Pedal After Axle Swap ?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Soft Break Pedal After Axle Swap ?

So I swapped out my stock axles with Dynatrac 60’s, which also included going to a larger brake set-up (14.25”) - now my brake pedal travels almost to the floor.

Don’t misunderstand me, the truck stops - but I waaay prefer the ‘stock’ feel as opposed to the nail biting, heart stopping trip to the floor my foot does now.

Anyone else have an issue like this when going to larger brake? Is a larger MC the answer - thoughts ? ....

Neville
Old 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try bleeding the brakes(I imagine you bled them once). To truly bleed the brakes you may have to take it to the dealer unless you have access to a "dealer tool" which is software to activate the abs so that you can assure the air is out of there too.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You definitely have air in your brake system, and definitely need to bleed your brakes.

It's really easy, just make sure you have a friend to help you pump the brakes. Start at the rear passenger side, and move towards the master cylinder. Good luck, and have fun wheeling those 60's.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hummmm - ‘never heard of a ABS bleed procedure.

The breaks were bled twice and all seemed normal - also, the ABS was disabled at the time (kill switch) so ‘not sure if that makes a difference.

i’ll investigare this ABS bleed procedure (that’s certainly the lesser of the two evils) - but I think I may have to start thinking of a larger MC ...
Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Somethings it takes a while to get the air out. Yes abs bleed requires a scan tool. I have alwasys been able to got the air out the standard bleeding way but the last time I had the brakes of I could not and would get a random pedal to the floor. I had to do the abs bleed 3 times.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

If you pump the pedal a few times does it give a more solid pedal feel? If so, then you most likely have air in the system. If not, you may very well need a M/C with a larger bore or longer piston travel.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fromme
If you pump the pedal a few times does it give a more solid pedal feel? If so, then you most likely have air in the system. If not, you may very well need a M/C with a larger bore or longer piston travel.
‘Been a busy beaver since my initial post - DEFINITELY no air in my lines, and the ‘ABS bleed’ didn’t change the situation either (although thank-you for the ‘heads up’ on that procedure - I learned something there ...).

I ended up spending an hour (and the better part of a bottle of Gibson’s) on the internet to find out the best out of two options I had for a larger MC.

So that’s my next Saturday planned out - I will let everyone know the results next week ....
Old 01-06-2018, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

I will add that I installed dynatrac 60s front and rear in my LJ and experienced a softer pedal feel like you describe. But it still stopped well running 39” Krawler stickies. I didn’t like the pedal feel but it worked so I left it alone. It got better as the pads bedded in too. How do the brakes perform?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

As mentioned, the brakes do work / stop the truck - the pedal just feels like the clutch (almost) !

increasing the volume of brake fluid with a larger MC makes sense - especially now I am 100% sure air in the lines is not the culprit.

The truck is now perched on 40”s - likely this is something I should of thought of / addressed when planning out the build ....

Last edited by Creepy Neville; 01-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cant help with the brake issue but just had to say what a beautiful Jeep you have there!

Quick Reply: Soft Break Pedal After Axle Swap ?