Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Top Features Question

Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Features Question

I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited with the hard top and I am looking to purchase a soft top for the summer. I really like the fastback or slanted back style soft tops but I want to be able to take the top completely off or roll it completely down without it being a huge hassle. From what I understand however, most soft tops of this style allow you to only roll the top back and the back up, but the back corners still stay in place. Are there any soft tops in this style that anybody could recommend where I will be able to take the top completely off or roll it completely down(top, back, sides, and all), or do I need to stick with the stock style soft top to be able to do this?
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. How about no top and take the doors off. Dirty Dog or Spider Web shade to keep the sun from giving you heat stroke. You can even make one yourself using sunshade woven plastic and bungie cords from a hardware store.

Seems like ease of removal, less hassle is your aim. Consider the stock soft top without the plastic windows.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 01-21-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackRockBurner
Welcome. How about no top and take the doors off. Dirty Dog or Spider Web shade to keep the sun from giving you heat stroke. You can even make one yourself using sunshade woven plastic and bungie cords from a hardware store.

Seems like ease of removal, less hassle is your aim. Consider the stock soft top without the plastic windows.
I thought about using one of those, my problem is that I live in New Jersey and one of the reasons I have the jeep is to drive in the bad weather so I need a top that will keep the elements out both while it is sitting in my driveway and while I'm driving it. Also as far as ease and hassle, it doesn't have to be as east as the stock soft top to remover, its just that with most of the fast back styles it seem that you can either only roll the top and back up unless you completely take it off the jeep, but you can roll everything away while keeping it still on the jeep. And that is essentially what I am looking for.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

I've got buddy's with unlimiteds using the Bestop trek top NX. Nice top and easy enough to deal with. All soft tops are a pain until you use them a while and develop a system that you like for putting up and down. I run my stock top in many variations and it is quick. If you've for a stock softop with your jeep that's a great place to start.

Go to a rally and put your hands on these things. That's the only way it will work for you as an individual. Also. Softops leak. People can debate it all they want. But they do. Just make sure you're willing to deal with that. Not a big deal for me. I've got several jeeps. Some don't leak for a while. But eventually after door removal, top stretch etc... It will happen.

Good luck and post pics when you get it up and running like you want it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out offroad heroes. It can take some time to get your order, but the simplicity, and well thought design made me want one after also not having had my jeep come with a soft top. Only used mine 1 summer so far but I loved every option I was able to try. My fav was front top on for shade with the back top off and rear window off. I will try and find a picture for you. Mine also did extrmely well with highspeeds and rain storms. In fact I cannot remember it leaking at all.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited: Overland build.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ol' Bob
I've got buddy's with unlimiteds using the Bestop trek top NX. Nice top and easy enough to deal with. All soft tops are a pain until you use them a while and develop a system that you like for putting up and down. I run my stock top in many variations and it is quick. If you've for a stock softop with your jeep that's a great place to start.

Go to a rally and put your hands on these things. That's the only way it will work for you as an individual. Also. Softops leak. People can debate it all they want. But they do. Just make sure you're willing to deal with that. Not a big deal for me. I've got several jeeps. Some don't leak for a while. But eventually after door removal, top stretch etc... It will happen.

Good luck and post pics when you get it up and running like you want it.
That's a good idea I'll look for a meet so I can go check some out in person and talk to some owners.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SKTN Rubi
Check out offroad heroes. It can take some time to get your order, but the simplicity, and well thought design made me want one after also not having had my jeep come with a soft top. Only used mine 1 summer so far but I loved every option I was able to try. My fav was front top on for shade with the back top off and rear window off. I will try and find a picture for you. Mine also did extrmely well with highspeeds and rain storms. In fact I cannot remember it leaking at all.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited: Overland build.
That Offroad Hero's top does look pretty sick and simple. The pictures on their site make it look like ill be able to do what im looking to do with it, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Love my Offroad Hereos top! It's a couple years old and it leaks only in our Florida rain storms but it leaks much less than any other brand.

#GFY
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

FYI I have seen ORH tops go on sale once a year for the past couple years. It may be worth it to wait if your weather doesn't quite allow for the use of one yet. I ordered in late feb/early March and it came in April, perfect timing for soft top season here. This is because they are built as ordered I believe. The fabric quality of the cloth is exactly the same as the oem soft top however be prepared for a tricky first time install, the top is designed to fit so snug and tight I had to take a break, eat my Wheaties, then continue with the install lol. Each time after is a little easier. The fit is soooo snug. Sent from my recliner
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a trektop NX on my 2dr - I love it. It's quieter than the stock, has tinted windows, and doesn't leak like my stock one did. It does have the slanted back which I personally like. I shave my head, so I leave the safari top on all the time and just flip the sunrider portion back if I need more breeze. the safari top keeps the sun off my dome and keeps the dogs in the shade. I do leave the top on when I take the side and rear windows out (the back corner/pillar) is part of the window and comes right off along w/the window - easy peasy.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Features Question