Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft Top: Quadratec / Bestop NX Glide / OEM

Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Soft Top: Quadratec / Bestop NX Glide / OEM

So I am looking to go back to a soft top on my 2013 JKU Sahara. I've narrowed it down to 3 different ones:Looking for some opinions. I am leaning towards the Bestop NX Glide - but I heard/read about some issues last year and wondering if those are resolves (window channel issues, etc.). I am also amazed that the OEM one is the only one that comes without massive installation (both the Quadratec and Bestop come basically disassembled).

Any thoughts from the someone who has any of those? I know the OEM top - it's great. But expensive unless I find a take-off on craigslist which is a crapshoot.

My other question with the Bestop is do I have to reverse the installation instructions to go back to the Hardtop or is it like the OEM one that unbolts from the roll-bar brackets...
Old 05-11-2018, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Hey David,
Just installed the NX Glide twill on my '18 JKUS and love it. Took me and a buddy about 3 hours, and that included removing the hardtop and cleanup. Honestly could have done it myself, maybe less time with less BS'ing!!. I watched the Bestop video on Youtube 3 times before the install and it was a big help, the written directions can be confusing at times. Its been through a torrential rain with no leaks. I ran it through the carwash and discovered a small leak by the tailgate bar; looking from the back seat toward the tailgate you could see a small hole of daylight by the clips. I was easily fixed with some weather stripping and the second time through the carwash I had no leaks. The back window is huge and is a challenge to get back on. I find that if I start in the upper left corner and lower right corner once I get it started it will go on. It's still tight though and I'm hopeful that it will stretch over time. I really love the versatility of the Glide, you can do the sunrider, bimini or full topless. I can do this by myself, takes maybe 10 min to go fully topless, then around 10 min to go back to fully covered. Once assembled, you should be able to go from soft top to hard top pretty easily, just remove the fabric top and frame as one unit and then remove the door surrounds. I cant imagine that taking longer than 20 min. The fastback looks badass!!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by viteaux
Hey David,
Just installed the NX Glide twill on my '18 JKUS and love it. Took me and a buddy about 3 hours, and that included removing the hardtop and cleanup. Honestly could have done it myself, maybe less time with less BS'ing!!. I watched the Bestop video on Youtube 3 times before the install and it was a big help, the written directions can be confusing at times. Its been through a torrential rain with no leaks. I ran it through the carwash and discovered a small leak by the tailgate bar; looking from the back seat toward the tailgate you could see a small hole of daylight by the clips. I was easily fixed with some weather stripping and the second time through the carwash I had no leaks. The back window is huge and is a challenge to get back on. I find that if I start in the upper left corner and lower right corner once I get it started it will go on. It's still tight though and I'm hopeful that it will stretch over time. I really love the versatility of the Glide, you can do the sunrider, bimini or full topless. I can do this by myself, takes maybe 10 min to go fully topless, then around 10 min to go back to fully covered. Once assembled, you should be able to go from soft top to hard top pretty easily, just remove the fabric top and frame as one unit and then remove the door surrounds. I cant imagine that taking longer than 20 min. The fastback looks badass!!
Thanks for the info! I think I am locked into the NX Glide in Black Twill!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the game, but motivated. Perhaps if you are in a very warm climate, the NX Glide is a good thing. I'm in New England and went with the NX Plus -- it's going back. The glide channels are not strong enough and have "popped". Mind you, I've taken the windows out precisely once (this past weekend). The fit and finish was also an issue, as the seems on the topskin did not line up with the side panels. This seems to have exacerbated the issue with the glide channels. Each time they pop, a little more material is shredded off of the glide rails. Called Bestop and they were great, sending a new topskin (though NOT the new side panel they said was coming). Installed that one and the fit and finish are actually worse than the original. Just ordered a Trektop NX (zippers!) and hoping for the best. Quadratec has been great and are taking the roof back. If the next one has issues, I'll go back to a Rampage roof. Extremely frustrating process. For the record, I've had softops since 2001, and never had issues in the past (stock and Rampage). Not at all impressed with the Glide design.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Bestop may still be running their "test drive" promotion where you can try any top for 30 days and return as many as you'd like. I'd go with their replacement twill top- it's the same as the factory at half of the price. The quadratec is a shit top. I've seen one in person and the fit is all wrong. I've had 3 premium tops on my jeep as well as the original sailcloth, it's safe to say I'll do another Bestop twill (because nobody is selling the factory twill tops on CL anymore). I don't care for the look of the glide, that's the only thing that keeps me from trying it. I had a trektop hybrid pro and it was very neat and functional, but again, I didn't like the look.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Ouch... $1990 for an OEM... I see them posted on craiglist and FaceBook for much less than that... I purchased an OEM twill (premium) with the hardware from a 2016 for $600. Never used. Having used the aftermarket tops and OEM tops, I think the OEM is the better choice.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:41 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The quadratec is a shit top.
This I agree with. Tried the Adventure S -- completely out of square, gaps (between the roof and the surrounds), and never did zip together, despite a 75-degree garage and space heaters bringing the internal temperature to 86-degrees. Absolutely crap. Quadratec DID take it back without question.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the OEM premium installed on the jeep now. I functions great, but it is for sale because I want a Bestop for the Fastback look. Post some pics of the Bestop install? I am between the glide and and the regular NX... I don't like how my OEM top bunches up on the back of the jeep so I am wondering if the Bestop glide has the same issue
Old 06-03-2018, 04:29 AM
JK Newbie

Apologies - been down in the Caribbean with little access to the internet and wasn't checking into this thread

Originally Posted by CarriageTownJeep
Late to the game, but motivated. Perhaps if you are in a very warm climate, the NX Glide is a good thing. I'm in New England and went with the NX Plus -- it's going back. The glide channels are not strong enough and have "popped". Mind you, I've taken the windows out precisely once (this past weekend). The fit and finish was also an issue, as the seems on the topskin did not line up with the side panels. This seems to have exacerbated the issue with the glide channels. Each time they pop, a little more material is shredded off of the glide rails. Called Bestop and they were great, sending a new topskin (though NOT the new side panel they said was coming). Installed that one and the fit and finish are actually worse than the original. Just ordered a Trektop NX (zippers!) and hoping for the best. Quadratec has been great and are taking the roof back. If the next one has issues, I'll go back to a Rampage roof. Extremely frustrating process. For the record, I've had softops since 2001, and never had issues in the past (stock and Rampage). Not at all impressed with the Glide design.

I am in North Carolina and this will be a Spring/Summer/Fall top only with the Hard Top going back on for the cold weather. With the lifetime warranty it seems like any issues should be able to be resolved. Especially buying through Quadrated who (like you said) will take shit back if necessary.

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Bestop may still be running their "test drive" promotion where you can try any top for 30 days and return as many as you'd like. I'd go with their replacement twill top- it's the same as the factory at half of the price. The quadratec is a shit top. I've seen one in person and the fit is all wrong. I've had 3 premium tops on my jeep as well as the original sailcloth, it's safe to say I'll do another Bestop twill (because nobody is selling the factory twill tops on CL anymore). I don't care for the look of the glide, that's the only thing that keeps me from trying it. I had a trektop hybrid pro and it was very neat and functional, but again, I didn't like the look.

Do you have a link to this promotion? I like the fastback look, especially on lifted Jeeps like mine.

Originally Posted by SheepyTheJKU
I have the OEM premium installed on the jeep now. I functions great, but it is for sale because I want a Bestop for the Fastback look. Post some pics of the Bestop install? I am between the glide and and the regular NX... I don't like how my OEM top bunches up on the back of the jeep so I am wondering if the Bestop glide has the same issue
I had an OEM and sold it after the first season because I wanted to go hardtop only. Now regretting that decision so trying to decide. As for bunching, I found this page that shows it fully retracted at the end, which looks like the OEM I think (https://www.offroadelements.com/blog...otally-badass/).

One issue is the windows - I am still wondering about window storage - I know there is a bag but it seems like a PITA to not be able to roll the windows up...
Old 06-03-2018, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SheepyTheJKU
I agree -- I LOVE the look of the fastback. That said, if the next roof (back ordered) fails and yours is still available, I'm acutely interested. The OEM is much improved since the one on my TJ. I didn't care for the clunky mechanism, but with two people, it was slick. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: Soft Top: Quadratec / Bestop NX Glide / OEM