Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some tire/rim questions - Commander HULK Rims!

Old 10-28-2006, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some tire/rim questions - Commander HULK Rims!

Here is what I am getting and just had a few questions.......(here or ebay not sure yet what ever works out)

" Hulk Cast Aluminum Wheel in Mineral Gray with 5 on 5" Bolt Pattern in 17x7.5 Size & 6.25" Backspacing "
http://www.savannajones.com/products/92702_800.htm

I want to change the rims and tires on my new JK 07 Wragler...and believe these will fit fine.....if I am wrong please tell me.
Also plan on adding 33's and NO lift hopefully, all the research I did states 33's (only slighly larger then the 32's that come from the factory) will fit 99% of the time maybe some possible trimming on some plastic worse case and slight rub if off road and mucho flex but not really around town rubbing...... Again if I wrong please let me know.... I plan on adding some wheel spacers as well. I want my new tires/rim set up to sit flush with the flares or possibly bulge slightly.

So my questions are will these fit OK, can I fit 33's and if so whats the ideal size 33' x 10.5 x 17's for these rims?? And if you may know or be able to recomend the correct spidertrax wheel spacer size to get the look I am going for? Thank you all in advance for any comments, thoughts, ideas..... I will post pics once set up. I am getting a 07 Jeep Green Sahara and think these will look great on it!

Finally would like a 33' tire with a nice looking tread but decent highway ride, would also love peoples thoughts on this as well on tire recomendations.

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-28-2006, 11:01 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, by the looks of things, these wheels are a direct replacement for the factory wheels. And, if you install 33x10.50's, you will not need to add any wheel spacers as they will fit without any problems. If you go with a 12.50 or wider, you need to get the 1.5" wheel spacers that Spidertrax makes. Even if you do go with the 10.50 wide tire, you will most likely rub your front air dam at a full turn. As far as tires go, are you looking for a mud terrain or would you be okay with an all terrain. In my opinion, mud terrains look the best but they are a lot louder on the highway and can
behave poorly in wet/icy conditions. Nothing you can't deal with mind you, they just need more attention when driving. All terrains look pretty good as well and they do a heck of a lot better on the high way. Either way, I'd recommend going with a BFGoodrich as they make one of the quietest and longest lasting mudders around (assuming you are diligent about rotating them every 3,000 miles) and the all terrains they make are some of the best on the market too.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Could you cut the air damn and not rub with a 33x10.5 and no lift???:confused:
Old 10-29-2006, 12:32 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozz
Could you cut the air damn and not rub with a 33x10.5 and no lift???:confused:
Yes. You would just need to cut the corners off and you should be good to go.

Here is a shot of a factory Rubicon 32" tire at a full turn...

As you can see, you've only got about 1" between the tread and the air damn. And, depending on the actual height of the 33" tire you will be installing, the two will most likely come into contact a bit. I say most likely because not all tires measure up the same.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-02-2006 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

take the fricken plastic off unless you need it???
Old 10-29-2006, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

X2on the take the plastic off. Then get a skidplate for that swaybar disco.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default will 305 70 r17's fit with no lift?

will 305 70 r17's fit with no lift?
Basically I want to go as big as I can with no lift on these 17x7.5 rims....
Is this never going to fly and if so whats the max.... I just hate to change out from stockers which run what 32.+ to a tire only .50 inches taller. Any and all recomendtaions greatly appreciated...

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Yes. You would just need to cut the corners off and you should be good to go.

Here is a shot of a factory Rubicon 32" tire at a full turn...

As you can see, you've only got about 1" between the tread and the air damn. And, depending on the actual height of the 33" tire you will be installing, the two will most likely come into contact a bit. I say most likely because not all tires measure up the same.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-02-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

305/70/17's are about 33.8x12. That's what I'm gonna run w/ a 2" BB. I think you'll probably rub with no lift.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default man if there was just a way to know!

Where are you getting the lift and any ideas on costs? Thanks
Man I wish if I knew if these would fit with no lift! I never off road so flex rubbing won't ba an issue etc.... if I only go 285's that barelly bigger then stock correct and not even worth it.... does tread pattern make a different as I am thinking bridgestone REVOs... thanks again

Originally Posted by 2K1TJ
305/70/17's are about 33.8x12. That's what I'm gonna run w/ a 2" BB. I think you'll probably rub with no lift.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

I'm also interested in putting on as big of tire as possible with no lift. I'm looking at Helo wheels, 17"x8", 4.5" backspacing, with 285-70-17 tires. Anyone know for sure if this will fit?
Wayoflife, you have been very helpful and infomative on this subject. Hope you get achance to respond with SEMA going on.

Quick Reply: Some tire/rim questions - Commander HULK Rims!