Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some tire/rim questions - Commander HULK Rims!

Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes they will fit.....tires at least

still a semi noob here so careful on my advice... but from everything I have read those tires will fit..... possible slight rub at heavy flex... can't comment on the rims though. I am just adding spacers by spider trax which will be out by Mid Nov they hope.... I was hoping to hear that I could squeek by with some 305.70.R17's with no lift but pretty sure I am out of luck and 285.70.R17's is max with no lift.... what stinks is they are about .50 inches larger then the stockers that come on the 17 rims package on the sahara.....

Originally Posted by Goes
I'm also interested in putting on as big of tire as possible with no lift. I'm looking at Helo wheels, 17"x8", 4.5" backspacing, with 285-70-17 tires. Anyone know for sure if this will fit?
Wayoflife, you have been very helpful and infomative on this subject. Hope you get achance to respond with SEMA going on.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Just a question but those rims are $330. apiece? You could buy alot nicer aftermarket wheels for less than that and get them with less backspacing so you can have more tire under there with out fear of rubbing.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default 485 for set of 4 to my doorstep

They are expensive as hell I agree ...... I located 4 brand new take offs with 0 miles on them for 400 in cali plus 85 for shipping so did not even pay 125 each for them..... for 125 they are sweat! I like stock look, stock jeep caps, staying with factory like stuff on some things but still having it look different. I would not have bought these for 1100 for just the rims.... after I mount new REVO's I will be into the whole package for about 1200 dollars.... sell stock set up for 1000 to 1200 and I am even with a better looking set up in my view and better tires a bit taller and bit wider....

Originally Posted by Mike001
Just a question but those rims are $330. apiece? You could buy alot nicer aftermarket wheels for less than that and get them with less backspacing so you can have more tire under there with out fear of rubbing.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

This thread has been very helpful for me. I don't want to do any major modifications...I'll be sticking to the stock Sahara rims, but getting 285/70R17 BFG ATs (it's not too much taller than stock, but it's wider by an inch and has nicer treads) and 2" Full Traction econo lift...I'm trying to avoid to have to regear if I go w/ larger tires...I'll mostly just do performance upgrades...my Jeep will only see city and highway driving anyway....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default here is where I am at, comments welcomed!

so here is where I am at. I need to do something to get these rims/tires out further. Worse then the want for bigger tires is my severe need to get this set up flush with (or slight bulge) the stock flares. I hate the fact that all the stock set ups seem tucked under the flares and to me it gives the truck a wimpy, ackward and top heavy stance.... Like a 300lb man that is bow legged wearing a size 7.5 kids sneaker well not that bad. As much as a larger tires will help the overall looks to me so will tires/rims that sit flush with the flares or again a set up that slightly bulges. I was hoping with wheel spacers and these rims I would get that effect. I believe spidertraxs spacers are going to be roughly 1.25 to 1.375 and stock set up rims/tires all seem to be at least an inch or so tucked under. Hope I am figuring this OK... I would rather not have the swamper look with tires standing a few inches past the flares. Although to be honest rather have them bulding an inch outside the flare then tucked in an inch or so under.

Option ONE
go with a 2 inch budget boost, these Hulk rims, 305's Revo's and wheel spacers... Will I get the look I am trying to achieve? Or based on these mods will I then need to mod more to get everything to work together? Wonder with this set up how much the ride will suffer? I rather a decent highway cruiser then lots of Torque...

Option TWO
no budget boost, No spacers, Hulk wheels, and 285 70 r17 Revos...fear I will still have the "tucked under" look.

Option Three
No Budget boost, wheel spacers, and same tires as option 2 on these commander 17x7.5 5x5 Hulk rims I have on the way....

What will get me the look I want, decent ride, not lead for the need of more mods in this catagory etc....

again can't say how much I apprecaite everyones input... I am doing something for sure and can promise to at least post pics once its done!

Thank you
Steve

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Yes. You would just need to cut the corners off and you should be good to go.

Here is a shot of a factory Rubicon 32" tire at a full turn...

As you can see, you've only got about 1" between the tread and the air damn. And, depending on the actual height of the 33" tire you will be installing, the two will most likely come into contact a bit. I say most likely because not all tires measure up the same.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-02-2006 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mickfluff
Where are you getting the lift and any ideas on costs? Thanks
Man I wish if I knew if these would fit with no lift! I never off road so flex rubbing won't ba an issue etc.... if I only go 285's that barelly bigger then stock correct and not even worth it.... does tread pattern make a different as I am thinking bridgestone REVOs... thanks again

I'm getting the Full Traction 2" BB lift, I think it was $119 at Northridge4x4. They also have free shipping this week. I'm just gonna run the stock shocks for a while 'till the aftermarket puts out more of a variety.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Default steve's sahara options

I just got a Silever Sahara with 18" wheels. I, too, like the Hulk wheels set up with spacers. My solution is paint the spokes and centers of the 18's and add the 1.25" spacers. It's a lot cheaper than buying $400 each 17" Hulk wheels, and the wheels are remarkably similar in appearance...almost identical. I did a lot of research before hand and decided to order the Sahara 4-door with the $175 optional 18" wheels to purposely get the affect. I'll post pictures when completed.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sorry guys- more wheels and tire questions

If I were to sell all 5 stock rims and tires off the Rubicon (if I ever get it), what would be an appropriate price to ask? I would like to put them in the paper, but I don't want to ask too much or too little.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mickfluff, I am real interested in seeing photos of your tire and wheel swap. I take delivery of my Rubi on Monday, and your tire options are exactly what I was thinking.

Option ONE
go with a 2 inch budget boost, these Hulk rims, 305's Revo's and wheel spacers... Will I get the look I am trying to achieve? Or based on these mods will I then need to mod more to get everything to work together? Wonder with this set up how much the ride will suffer? I rather a decent highway cruiser then lots of Torque...

Option TWO
no budget boost, No spacers, Hulk wheels, and 285 70 r17 Revos...fear I will still have the "tucked under" look.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default sure here are some pics!

Looks even better in person.......

http://forum.*******.com/viewtopic.php?t=1454

Originally Posted by jpaddict
Mickfluff, I am real interested in seeing photos of your tire and wheel swap. I take delivery of my Rubi on Monday, and your tire options are exactly what I was thinking.

Quick Reply: Some tire/rim questions - Commander HULK Rims!