Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific Trackbar Question

Old 03-26-2019, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Specific Trackbar Question

I am suffering with a driver side drift in my 2.5" lifted JKU. My question is whether or not a front track bar will correct this or if I should change both front and rear. I have tried many other solutions such as new steering stabilizer and alignment. I have replaced the upper and lower ball joints with serviceable ones as well as they were death wobbled. Here's one more thing: a while back, while wheeling in Rausch Creek, I got a shop to box weld my rear sway bar bracket, which had cracked. They did an incredible job and turned the OE rear trackbar bracket into a solid chunk of steel. I can still access the rear track bar bushings/bolts to change the track bar itself if necessary, but the bracket itself where it attaches to the axle is not longer a janky rattling POS and is welded onto the axle. Any guidance would be most appreciated. If I let the steering wheel sit neutral, the JKU dives to the left at an extreme angle. This is driving me crazy. (see what I did there) Thank for all your insight, friends. SEE ATTACHED IMAGE.

Rear Trackbar weld.
*update, I believe this is an aftermarket Skyjacker Bracket

Last edited by justinstoffregen; 03-26-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

What steering stabilizer do you have up front? This sounds like the common issue of having a gas-charged unit installed and it constantly pushing the TR to the driver's side (left as you mention).

You can easily test this out by removing the SS (you'll be ok without one), and going for a quick drive. If it is a gas-charged unit, the problem is they are always trying to expand with considerable force......hence always veering a bit driver's side (assuming the normal mounting position of the left side to the axle and right side to the tie rod).

Last edited by resharp001; 03-26-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Ome ss

Originally Posted by resharp001
What steering stabilizer do you have up front? This sounds like the common issue of having a gas-charged unit installed and it constantly pushing the TR to the driver's side (left as you mention).

You can easily test this out by removing the SS (you'll be ok without one), and going for a quick drive. If it is a gas-charged unit, the problem is they are always trying to expand with considerable force......hence always veering a bit driver's side (assuming the normal mounting position of the left side to the axle and right side to the tie rod).
I drove without my OME SS for a few days and no difference really.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Another free idea.....have you tried rotating the tires to see if the pull improves any?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Thank you. Unfortunately, I have exhausted free options, but just in case, keep them coming.
#JustEmptyEveryPocket
#Justin'sExpensiveEverydayProject
Old 03-27-2019, 01:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Do you have any alignment specs by chance? TB's shouldn't affect a pull one way or the other. They're just holding your axle horizontally under the jeep. Jeep should drive straight regardless of if the axle is dead center under there or not. Kind of a curious case here. Did this pull just start recently? No recent changes to the setup?
Old 03-27-2019, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you made any modifications affecting control arms? Adjustable arms, drop brackets? Is your tie rod straight?

Trending Topics

Old 03-27-2019, 05:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Do you have any alignment specs by chance? TB's shouldn't affect a pull one way or the other. They're just holding your axle horizontally under the jeep. Jeep should drive straight regardless of if the axle is dead center under there or not. Kind of a curious case here. Did this pull just start recently? No recent changes to the setup?
I'll snap a pic of the alignment specs from the cutting edge alignment machine that was used. I also had a bracket installed to enable camber adjustment which is normally not adjustable on JK's. Pull started a while back, not new and no changes. I got this Jeep lifted straight from the dealership. I drove it 60 miles stock to the shop on day 1. That was in Sep. 2007 and I now have about 70K on the odo (adjusted for tire size). Thx again.

Last edited by justinstoffregen; 03-29-2019 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sltimmins
Have you made any modifications affecting control arms? Adjustable arms, drop brackets? Is your tie rod straight?
No to the mods and I will check for straight but my mechanic has not reported anything on tie rod. He did mention the trackbar ends showing some wear...that is loose around the bushings.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm. Any symptoms of a sticking caliper? I had a driver side rear caliper get stuck and it would cause a left pull.
The following users liked this post:
jdinny (03-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Specific Trackbar Question