JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Speedometer drops to zero occasionally while driving (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/speedometer-drops-zero-occasionally-while-driving-311713/)

ezlifestyle 10-10-2014 06:29 AM

Speedometer drops to zero occasionally while driving

Hey everyone,

2012 JKU Sport 6spd giving me electrical issues...

Has anyone else had an issue where you are driving down the road and all of a sudden your speedometer loses power and drops to zero. tachometer keeps reading fine.

I think I have an electrical ground or short issue somewhere in the vehicle.

Occasionally while I am driving a short will run through the vehicle causing the ABS light to come on, the parking light to come on, the speedometer will drop out, lights will dim, and radio will get cross shatter. It is very random and sometimes will happen multiple times in a row while other times I can go with no issue.

All of these issues sound like a short somewhere in the vehicle but I have no clue where to begin. Sensor issue possibly? It seems to happen more frequently while highway driving compared to back roads, but it happens low speeds too.

The only add on's electrically would be the winch and a CB radio. It does have a 3" lift with 35's.

Any thoughts before I bring it to the dealership would be appreciated.

scooby snacks 10-10-2014 06:46 AM

Tons of things can cause this...

Possible corrections:
1) make sure your battery cables are connected securely to the battery posts
2) push all your fuses in securely in your fuse block
3) check connections on any aftermarket wiring (lights, winch, etc.)
4) if you have a Rubicon, be sure the sway bar disconnect is securely fastened to the sway bar motor (check for moisture)

I had this issue and after trying the above, I had the brake light sensor on the brake pedal replaced - fixed the problem. don't ask me why? I have no clue...

Good luck!

ezlifestyle 10-10-2014 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by scooby snacks (Post 3994063)

Possible corrections:
1) make sure your battery cables are connected securely to the battery posts
2) push all your fuses in securely in your fuse block
3) check connections on any aftermarket wiring (lights, winch, etc.)
4) if you have a Rubicon, be sure the sway bar disconnect is securely fastened to the sway bar motor (check for moisture)

I had this issue and after trying the above, I had the brake light sensor on the brake pedal replaced - fixed the problem. don't ask me why? I have no clue...

Good luck!

Ya I have already verified connections on battery are tight, and that the fuses are all secure. I should recheck winch wiring I guess. So, it sounds like I need to bring it to dealership... son of a bitch...

Cjsmith4 10-10-2014 07:32 AM

I am not saying this is your problem but it might be something to look into.

Something with your abs control module or the connections to the control module.

A few months back, I had all theses same symptoms but they stayed permanently. Abs light, esp/bas light, e-brake light, check engine light, and no speedometer.

The only way I could find to get it checked out was to go to the dealer and have them run a diagnostics test. They looked through my whole system and told me everything was fine except for the abs control module.

Being that yours comes and goes, I wouldn't think it is the module because I think that would be more of a permanent thing. Maybe connections leading into the control module though that are having problems while you are driving.

Have you checked to see if there are any trouble codes stored??

BigLow 10-10-2014 08:55 AM

This would happen to me when I would get my tone ring sensors wet and when my rear tone (not a stock part) ring fell off.

Just_Q 10-10-2014 10:19 AM

My 13 was doing the same thing for about 4 months. Dealer checked the sway bar motor and connections and found nothing wrong. I read through several discussions in others having the same problem. The fix is a new battery. Evidently, the factory batteries suck. Since changing mine out i have had 10,000 trouble free miles.

kmrtnsn 10-10-2014 10:23 AM

Same issue. Turned out to be a loose negative battery terminal.

scooby snacks 10-10-2014 10:31 AM

My battery died at 2 years 7 months. Guy at parts store said these batteries are great in cars but suck in Jeeps with winches, lights, etc. and especially was not well suited for the jostling of off roading. I got an Optima Yellow Top and it works great!! #JeepBatteriesSuck!!

sea bass 10-10-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by kmrtnsn (Post 3994152)
Same issue. Turned out to be a loose negative battery terminal.

Same here! The clamps on the new jeeps are tricky! I installed my Spod and had problems as described above periodically while cruising down the freeway. Freaked me out! Ended up having to squeeze the clamp with channel locks and then tighten the clamp bolt.

ezlifestyle 10-11-2014 07:28 AM

Thanks guys ya I was thinking it's a battery issue too. I've been wanting to upgrade it anyways. Maybe I should try that.