Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spicer Ultimate D44

Old 11-03-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spicer Ultimate D44

The Ultimate Dana 44? Front Axle

Looks like I got good word the Spicer rep I talked to at Super Summit 15 and BJHF back in June. They must have been waiting for SEMA. Depending on how much it's going to cost, looks like Dynatrack has got some competition.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disagree. It's basically the J8 axle. Take a Rubicon axle, add 1/16" to the tube wall, and done. Yeah, slightly better axle shifts. Same weak C's. Doubt the 1/16" will really make much difference. Diameter is the real issue with tubes.

You can buy a new crate Rubicon axle for under $2k. This axle would need to be close to that. It isn't even in the ball park of the other aftermarket D44s in terms of strength. It's a "spicer-ed" up turd.

Btw, the housing has been available for a couple years and runs under $900.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Disagree. It's basically the J8 axle. Take a Rubicon axle, add 1/16" to the tube wall, and done. Yeah, slightly better axle shifts. Same weak C's. Doubt the 1/16" will really make much difference. Diameter is the real issue with tubes.

You can buy a new crate Rubicon axle for under $2k. This axle would need to be close to that. It isn't even in the ball park of the other aftermarket D44s in terms of strength. It's a "spicer-ed" up turd.

Btw, the housing has been available for a couple years and runs under $900.
I don't know where you're finding new Rubi axles for 2k. The only ones I've found close to that new is the empty housing for $1500. I could get a used axle for that, but they're hard to find and I don't get a lot of free time to drive 500 miles to pick up an axle. I get the thing about the C's, but the PR44 has the same 5/16 wall tubes. The Prorock costs almost 4 grand set up like what this new axle looks to be. (I don't trust any shops in Beaufort and gears are the only thing I won't try to do myself) I can't remember too much of the conversation I had with that guy, but I do remember him saying it will be cheaper than the Dynatrac.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the advertisement for the ultimate D44. Disappointed to see not much increase in tube thickness and the same C. Looks like they beefed up the rest of the brackets and added control arm skids. If they are making it, sure there is a market for it. Not everyone needs a PR44, but want to up from a D30. Depends on price.

Rubicon 44 can be had from a dealer for around $2k. I got one from my local dealer.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
I don't know where you're finding new Rubi axles for 2k. The only ones I've found close to that new is the empty housing for $1500. I could get a used axle for that, but they're hard to find and I don't get a lot of free time to drive 500 miles to pick up an axle. I get the thing about the C's, but the PR44 has the same 5/16 wall tubes. The Prorock costs almost 4 grand set up like what this new axle looks to be. (I don't trust any shops in Beaufort and gears are the only thing I won't try to do myself) I can't remember too much of the conversation I had with that guy, but I do remember him saying it will be cheaper than the Dynatrac.
As noted above, you can buy crate rubi axles for under $2k most anywhere. There is a place in OH that sells them for $1800, or for $2k you can choose your gear ratio. In addition, those axles are complete hub-to-hub.

All the other aftermarket D44s have at least 3" OD tubes and Teraflex has 3.25". Adding a little wall thickness does virtually nothing for strength. Same applies for control arms. After 1/4" wall, very little to gain. OD is where you add strength.

In addition, Teraflex and Dynatrac offer an upgrade to 1/2" wall for a nominal fee. Not to mention that the center section is much more ridged. Does that matter? I would say yes since I had no problem blowing up a R&P on a front D44. Too much deflection. The Spicer also uses the same comparatively weak e-locker as the stock axle.

So, you can buy a Rubi take-off complete hub-to-hub for $2k with any gear ratio, or you can drop what I'd guess will be around $3999 for an extra 1/16" wall thickness on the tubes. Sort of a no brainer. It just doesn't offer anything for the price.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
As noted above, you can buy crate rubi axles for under $2k most anywhere. There is a place in OH that sells them for $1800, or for $2k you can choose your gear ratio. In addition, those axles are complete hub-to-hub.

All the other aftermarket D44s have at least 3" OD tubes and Teraflex has 3.25". Adding a little wall thickness does virtually nothing for strength. Same applies for control arms. After 1/4" wall, very little to gain. OD is where you add strength.

In addition, Teraflex and Dynatrac offer an upgrade to 1/2" wall for a nominal fee. Not to mention that the center section is much more ridged. Does that matter? I would say yes since I had no problem blowing up a R&P on a front D44. Too much deflection. The Spicer also uses the same comparatively weak e-locker as the stock axle.

So, you can buy a Rubi take-off complete hub-to-hub for $2k with any gear ratio, or you can drop what I'd guess will be around $3999 for an extra 1/16" wall thickness on the tubes. Sort of a no brainer. It just doesn't offer anything for the price.
So what is it for $2k, a crate axle or a take-off? Some of us don't flipping live in Ohio.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Blue
So what is it for $2k, a crate axle or a take-off? Some of us don't flipping live in Ohio.
I don't live there either. It is a new axle, but the place selling them will swap out the gears for a nominal fee. They ship within the lower 48. Three people in my local club in MI have bought them and I installed one of them. Came in a crate, I welded on the Artec armor kit and then dropped it in. Easier to sell a used front axle when it is complete hub-to-hub as well.

That all said, if you shop around at dealers, you can probably get a price around $2k with stock gear ratios.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Rumor has it this is the stock axle housing on late 2015 & 2016 Rubis. FCA is apparenty sick of replacing the lightweight piles under warranty, an enough of them have broken at the passenger control arm mount to trigger a recall. Great, that only took eight years.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SoK66
Rumor has it this is the stock axle housing on late 2015 & 2016 Rubis. FCA is apparenty sick of replacing the lightweight piles under warranty, an enough of them have broken at the passenger control arm mount to trigger a recall. Great, that only took eight years.
Unfortunately, that is not the case. As noted, that axle has been around for years. The number of axles that Chrysler has had to warranty is nominal. Lastly, making that switch would imply Chrysler acknowledging that the other 1mm+ axles have an issue and that would be bad for them.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChairRepairHeatnAir
The Ultimate Dana 44? Front Axle

Looks like I got good word the Spicer rep I talked to at Super Summit 15 and BJHF back in June. They must have been waiting for SEMA. Depending on how much it's going to cost, looks like Dynatrack has got some competition.
I replaced my Ruby front with a PR44 and side by side there's a lot of difference. The center section was a lot bigger and I had to trim an inch off my skid to clear it. I think your getting what you pay for with an axle built from scratch. The "C" forgings are way larger than the stock Ruby axle. There is a lot of choices now for axles out there and that's good for us Jeepers. A junkyard axle build will probably always be more affordable as long as you can do all the work yourself. Now the Ultimate Dana 60 is a totally different animal.

Quick Reply: Spicer Ultimate D44