Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spicer Ultimate D44

Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
Lol @ the comment if it's strong for military use it's strong for offroad use.....you've obviously never been in the military.
Nope, ,but any vehicle that comes complete with lift points to be dropped out of a cargo plane by parachute gotta be tough.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol @ the comment if it's strong for military use it's strong for offroad use.....you've obviously never been in the military.
+1! The Military logic of using the lowest bidder to base your jeep build off, well let's just say it's not the best route, lol
Old 12-28-2016, 06:00 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering guys were outfitting their humvees with extra panel armor out of pocket back in the day, it has been known for the military to have corners cut to save some extra bucks lol...

* But in JT's defense, the military did at one time tend to have items that were over-engineered and built to last. At least they did for the older gear lol...

Last edited by DJ1; 12-28-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree to a point, Military, like everyone else has had cut backs, but my initial point was, if it's strong enough to throw it out of a plane on a parachute, I guess those axles are tough enough for most of us.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Nope, ,but any vehicle that comes complete with lift points to be dropped out of a cargo plane by parachute gotta be tough.
Yeah.. not so much. Those 'lift' points aren't used much. In the case of being dropped out of an aircraft, they put the vehicle on a pallet (with a bunch of padding) and the pallet is connected to the parachutes. The pallet takes the majority of the force of the opening shock of the parachutes. The padding takes the landing, and even then, many of these vehicles (and other equipment) aren't usable after they hit the ground.

hahaha... military grade... that's code for lowest bidder who then delivers below spec and over budget.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:31 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Food for thought. Are the Jeep Commander's axles stronger than a JK's??? We've all been duped. We shoulda bought a damn COMMANDER. lol

Jeep did 7 air drops of a Jeep Commander for this PR stunt. Granted it was a 4 canopy drop where a Humvee would have 2 or 3. Also not sure if the same size canopy (60ft) is used for the Humvees.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igaprrrfOUM
Clear Blue Events/Communication came to Para-Concepts (A skydiving rigging store)(formerly located at Skydive Chicago). Kirk Smith, owner of Para-Concepts), teamed up with Curtis Kmiecek(A 30 year Air Force Veteran with19 years assigned to Joint Special Operations in the Air Force Reserves and many years of overseas military consulting). Chrysler Corporation wanted the Jeep Drop for a live media event with 130 observers from the auto industry media such as; Car and Driver, ESPN and other media. The event was tied to a Chrysler/Jeep troop support initiative called "Operation Gratitude).

The objective was to drop the Jeep from the Hook of A Helicopter Transport Services Sikorsky Heavy lift helicopter and have eight skydivers jump from a second helicopter. Two of the skydivers towed 10'x20' banners, one with the JEEP logo and one with the Operation Gratitude logo. One skydiver shot the airborne video. Seven of the skydivers then landed with the jeep, detached it from its military airdrop platform, got in, and drove it to the reviewing stand.

The nearly 7,000 pound combined payload of the Jeep and airdrop platform required the use of a cluster of four 60 foot diameter military airdrop parachute canopies with a 40 pound M-1 canopy release device to allow the canopies to be released when the weight is off the load so the canopies didn't pull the jeep over in the case of strong winds.

A total of seven drops were conducted, five practice at Skydive Chicago, one "Dress Rehersal" and one "Show day" at the Chrysler Chelsea proving grounds near Detroit.
The show day performance went flawlessly.

The Jeep Drop was the first, and so far, only "Civilian" four canopy airdrop.

Last edited by DJ1; 12-28-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so apparently this tread is going of track.
This is not a J8 thread this thread for the:

[h=1]Spicer Ultimate D44[/h]
So lets get back on track please.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sirjeepalot
Ok, so apparently this tread is going of track. This is not a J8 thread this thread for the: [h=1]Spicer Ultimate D44[/h] So lets get back on track please.
Lol We are on track. the Spicer Ultimate D44 is the Mopar D44HD/J8 which is also pretty much the same build as the J8 axle.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL? Really?

Just because your reject military axle has similar traits only makes it part relevant, just like the rest of the clone D44's.
Lift points and Helo drops are NOTHING we are remotely concerned about.
If you think the J8 is so great start another J8 thread and push your military grade crap there.
Military, really? Sounds like you are one of those armchair XBox 360 wannabe solders to me.

Who me? 12yrs NAVSPECWAR.
When you push out and follow an 11m RHIB out the back of a c130 into a pitch black ocean then you can talk military grade.

See..? Now I have been sucked into this off track crap.

Does anyone know anyone that has owned the Ultimate Dana 44? Anyone?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Its got absolutely nothing to do with the army, you guys are the ones putting down the military build. The discussion has Everything to do with the strength of this axle housing opposed to other options.. And I have experience with this axle, I've built 2 of them.. Members have asked, I am passing on my info.

Quick Reply: Spicer Ultimate D44