Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprintex 3.6 vs RIPP 3.6

Old 07-06-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2sikk
We have 2 Jeeps. I have a Sprintex on the 2008 and love it. We bought a Sprintex Stage 2 for the 2013. The main reason we bought it over a Ripp was all my friends with Ripps have problems with their shifting. They have to manually shift their automatics. We are having a custom tune done for ours due to how modified the jeep is. The twin stick Atlas gives a couple headaches.
The belt I got from autozone. Just took my belt and matched up one that was 1/2 inch shorter. The Lilly I had machines from a local performance shop.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have 2 Jeeps. I have a Sprintex on the 2008 and love it. We bought a Sprintex Stage 2 for the 2013. The main reason we bought it over a Ripp was all my friends with Ripps have problems with their shifting. They have to manually shift their automatics. We are having a custom tune done for ours due to how modified the jeep is. The twin stick Atlas gives a couple headaches.
Please let them know to contact us regarding the shift. We can help them out. Thank you in advance.

RIPP
Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Please let them know to contact us regarding the shift. We can help them out. Thank you in advance.

RIPP
Ripp makes a great product. I just like sprintex better there customer service is excellent and the horsepower that the stage 2 makes is crazy. Sprintex has a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty too. If installed at one of there dealer locations.

Last edited by jeepjk76; 07-07-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jeepjk76
This is is a stage 2 sprintex supercharger with a custom tune smaller pulley and smaller belt full exhaust and cold air upgrade. And it's a six speed.
What about stock dyno graph on the same dyno? What percent increase in torque/power did you get? Different dynos, different dyno run procedures, etc., can all produce some wildly different absolute numbers, so it's the comparison to stock results on the same dyno with the same procedure that really matters.

I'm actually working on creating relative % gain comparison charts/data using data from each manufacturer's own before/after dyno charts. Here's a sneak peek at some of the results. I'll eventually write up a new post with a full explanation of where/how I obtained the data, how I processed it, additional analysis, etc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	36_compare_gain_vs_rpm.png
Views:	1679
Size:	320.1 KB
ID:	651822

Data source for Sprintex (note that stock baseline jumps around wildly at low RPMs a bit, which reduces confidence in the calculated gains at lower RPM): http://sprintexusa.com/wp-content/up...r3_6_12-14.pdf

Data source for Edelbrock (same compressor as Magnuson, so Magnuson can be expected to be fairly similar, but Magnuson has not released official before/after dyno results yet): http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/.../dyno/1527.jpg

Data source for RIPP (still frame @ 3:16; stock data extrapolated up through the full RPM range based on making peak power at 6400 rpm have the same % loss from SAE crank numbers as the % loss in peak torque captured by RIPP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BU0eNis9w8
~Jeff

Last edited by Prodigy Performance; 07-07-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
Data source for RIPP (still frame @ 3:16; stock data extrapolated up through the full RPM range based on making peak power at 6400 rpm have the same % loss from SAE crank numbers as the % loss in peak torque captured by RIPP)
I suspect this will be a point of contention, so I will preemptively provide more details.

Here's the still frame from RIPP's video:

Name:	36_ripp_dyno.jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	651823

RIPP recorded a stock peak torque of about 240 ft-lbs. Compared to the SAE crank 260 ft-lbs, that's a -7.7% difference.

We know the stock Pentastar makes peak power at redline (6400 RPM). If RIPP would have disabled the stock speed limiter to record a full RPM range dyno chart of the stock engine, it is quite reasonable to assume that they would have also seen peak power at 6400 RPM, and that they would also see about a -7.7% difference in peak power from the SAE crank 285 hp. That would put RIPP's stock peak power at about 263 whp. There's a simple relationship between HP, TQ and RPM that allows us calculate that the corresponding torque for 263 hp @ 6400 rpm = 320 ft-lbs. I did a simple linear interpolation of the torque curve data from the last recorded point in RIPP's stock dyno results and the point at (6400 rpm, 320 ft-lbs). This linear interpolation actually err's in RIPP's favor as far as the calculated % gains, because the actual stock torque curve is likely more of a convex curve than a straight line, which would produce slightly higher stock torque/power in the middle of the interpolated range, producing smaller % gains in that range.

Here is a chart showing my copy of the RIPP before/after dyno chart data with the extrapolated stock torque/power curves. You can compare this to the original still frame above to confirm that I accurately reproduced the original data. You can also see that the extrapolated stock dyno data appears to be reasonable and in agreement with the general shape of the SAE torque/power curves at the crank.

Name:	36_ripp_dyno_extracted.png
Views:	1178
Size:	421.4 KB
ID:	651824

And the resulting % gain chart for RIPP by itself (dashed line represents the section calculated based on extrapolated stock data):

Name:	36_ripp_gain_vs_rpm.png
Views:	728
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	651826

SAE crank dyno chart for reference:

Name:	38_vs_36_wrangler_SAE_dyno.jpg
Views:	1371
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	651825

~Jeff

Last edited by Prodigy Performance; 07-07-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ProdigyPerformance
What about stock dyno graph on the same dyno? What percent increase in torque/power did you get? Different dynos, different dyno run procedures, etc., can all produce some wildly different absolute numbers, so it's the comparison to stock results on the same dyno with the same procedure that really matters.

I'm actually working on creating relative % gain comparison charts/data using data from each manufacturer's own before/after dyno charts. Here's a sneak peek at some of the results. I'll eventually write up a new post with a full explanation of where/how I obtained the data, how I processed it, additional analysis, etc.

Attachment 651822

Data source for Sprintex (note that stock baseline jumps around wildly at low RPMs a bit, which reduces confidence in the calculated gains at lower RPM): http://sprintexusa.com/wp-content/up...r3_6_12-14.pdf

Data source for Edelbrock (same compressor as Magnuson, so Magnuson can be expected to be fairly similar, but Magnuson has not released official before/after dyno results yet): http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/.../dyno/1527.jpg

Data source for RIPP (still frame @ 3:16; stock data extrapolated up through the full RPM range based on making peak power at 6400 rpm have the same % loss from SAE crank numbers as the % loss in peak torque captured by RIPP): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BU0eNis9w8
~Jeff

I did not do a stock dyno run. Wish I had. I life's the jeep and changed the gears two days after I bought it
Old 07-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jeepjk76
I did not do a stock dyno run. Wish I had. I life's the jeep and changed the gears two days after I bought it
Well, not necessarily bone stock, but before installing the supercharger to get a valid before/after comparison with the only difference being the supercharger. Did you dyno before the supercharger, or only after?

~Jeff
Old 07-07-2016, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Only after. I had the supercharger installed at jeep beach 2016. Only had the dyno run after install. I know that I can get a little more Hp out of the motor. Dyno run was done on a hot Florida day. I think I can get about 35 more rwhp.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprintex SPS incoming!

I ordered a sprintex sps supercharger for my 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock. I'm running 3.5" AEV suspension with 35" BFG KO2s. Replacing clutch and rear drive shaft prophylactically haha. Also adding mishimoto radiator, fan and 180 degree thermostat as I am planning on moving to SoCal and wanna keep my baby cool. The SPS is supposed to be "Stage 2" although the regular Sprintex has an intercooler but the SPS has coated rotors as well as a 60mm Pulley so I'll be running 14-15psi. Also doing a boost gauge and wide band gauge. Really looking forward to see what this baby will do. Scheduled pre and post dynos so will post data when I have it. Anyone have good dynos for Edelbrock or Prodigy. Would like to see how this compares!
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK1124
I ordered a sprintex sps supercharger for my 2016 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock. I'm running 3.5" AEV suspension with 35" BFG KO2s. Replacing clutch and rear drive shaft prophylactically haha. Also adding mishimoto radiator, fan and 180 degree thermostat as I am planning on moving to SoCal and wanna keep my baby cool. The SPS is supposed to be "Stage 2" although the regular Sprintex has an intercooler but the SPS has coated rotors as well as a 60mm Pulley so I'll be running 14-15psi. Also doing a boost gauge and wide band gauge. Really looking forward to see what this baby will do. Scheduled pre and post dynos so will post data when I have it. Anyone have good dynos for Edelbrock or Prodigy. Would like to see how this compares!

I'm running the stage 2 sprintex with the 60 mm pulley and a 1/2 smaller belt with full maganoflow rock crawler exhaust and the Diablo trinity 1000 also you must have a air\fuel gauge. I was pushing 10 psi but we upped the boost 15 psi on the stock motor and the jeep is a monster. And it is such a big difference from 10 psi I just installed Adams driveshafts and the rear is getting done as we speak your going to need Crome molly shafts. The last dyno it put down 411 rwhp at 10 psi can't wait to see what it does at 15 psi. I have an appointment next week but my buddy has an ls3 500 hp at the crank 2015 jeep jku and I pull on him like he is standing still. And I'm running a center force clutch

Last edited by jeepjk76; 10-15-2016 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Sprintex 3.6 vs RIPP 3.6