Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRT seat swap

Old 03-03-2018, 04:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SRT seat swap

posted in wrong forum since rest of my build is not listed yet .. sorry mods
tried to delete in other forum.

Have wanted To replace front seats with WK2 SRT Jeep seats since the redesign. Got a set of full power passenger and drivers seats from 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee. Was totaled from hard rear hit with 12K miles.
Seats were great except head restraint were deployed.

have not seen the new model seats used since the seat size was changed from wk1.
From what I saw everyone said seat would not ffit.

Couple beers with friend who is always up for a new Jeep project and we started.
factory seat bracket was scrapped needed to be almost flush to floor to get correct measurements.
Wanted everything to work and no codes plus factory harness. We were able to modify everything to make this work and also appear factory.
There is no room for any error on this mod .... if not able to fabricate, weld and understand wiring this is not a weekend project by ay means. I had company I use do a double stitched custom leather replacement seat cover made to match rest of interior knoeone else does a wk2 seat kit.

Factory plastic trim used and and gives a very clean factory look. Will post complete build pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Qind; 03-04-2018 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TrailBadger (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the wiring was just plug and play?
Old 03-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Qind

Excellent, it's great to see these types of upgrades as we are constantly on the look out for better solutions to our seating arrangement.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My head hurts from reading your story telling and no pics?
Old 03-13-2018, 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

Had the swap all explained out ( sorry your head hurt BTW) and had computer restart for damn update and lost everything before hitting enter. I will be reposting . The seat is very much not plug and play as it came . it is however now running on the stock harness and stock seat belt passenger switch . No codes no display errors and air bags work correctly. I did add a power that is fused into my SPOD (to run power adjustments because I did not want any computer issues)

the new seat frame needs to sit 1/ 2 inch off floor on both sides to allow the base to be fully utilized for a stock look. I used a Planted low mount seat frame and sectioned 1.5 inches out of the height. I also used the factory front mounting tabs off the Planted seats and re welded into correct location to bolt new seat slider up (in all 4 factory mouting locations.)

will go over complete build and retrofit for those intrested.

Last edited by Qind; 03-15-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Qind
posted in wrong forum since rest of my build is not listed yet .. sorry mods
tried to delete in other forum.

Have wanted To replace front seats with WK2 SRT Jeep seats since the redesign. Got a set of full power passenger and drivers seats from 2012 SRT Grand Cherokee. Was totaled from hard rear hit with 12K miles.
Seats were great except head restraint were deployed.

have not seen the new model seats used since the seat size was changed from wk1.
From what I saw everyone said seat would not ffit.

Couple beers with friend who is always up for a new Jeep project and we started.
factory seat bracket was scrapped needed to be almost flush to floor to get correct measurements.
Wanted everything to work and no codes plus factory harness. We were able to modify everything to make this work and also appear factory.
There is no room for any error on this mod .... if not able to fabricate, weld and understand wiring this is not a weekend project by ay means. I had company I use do a double stitched custom leather replacement seat cover made to match rest of interior knoeone else does a wk2 seat kit.

Factory plastic trim used and and gives a very clean factory look. Will post complete build pics tomorrow.
Man, you beat me to it! I have a set of seats out of a hellcat that I'm waiting to have installed. I own an WK2 SRT8 and can attest to how comfortable these seats are. However, I plan on redoing the rear seats to match the front seats since I'm having the heated/cooler features enabled. I'm having West Coast Customs handle the install, using rugged ridge lower dash panel to mount 2 red and 2 blue switches w/ a usb changer in between the two sets. Did the JK belts install into the SRT8 seats with modifications? Could you possibly share more pics of your wiring (schematics would be great if you have any) as well as the mounts you created?

Last edited by Carbon6; 03-20-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

I'm still waiting on pics too, its not that hard to upload them.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Seat update mount for pass side

Old 03-24-2018, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry for delay,

the factory SRT seat heaters work, I had aftermarket switches in my console from the old seat heaters . I had a friend find out the ohm range needed to utilize the factory SRT heaters (with my aftermarket heater switches and wiring )

Ended up needing 2 more ohms to get seats to work correctly on high using my switches, versus the factory SRT lower dash controls on WK2.

The two cooling motors will equally work but have not run separate switches for them and currently they are running what appears backwards. ( in progress )

the passenger side was most difficult and pictures of mount are now up. This started as a planted low mount jk seat frame. 1 1/2 inches of height need to come out for SRT seats to sit correctly . This poses issues with tunnel clearance on the passenger console side front seat mounting. I did not want ther modify the tunnel.

The frame was tapered as pictured. One grounding stud needs shortend as well. The front seat mounting tabs needed welded up and braced into the mounting frame. You have to do this for wk2 seats to fit or your seat will not clear B pillar. ( you need every inch of space measured correctly )

the factory jk seat belt and firing system for the passenger seat (console side) was used . The yellow firing connector was plug in to the SRT seat. ( this prevented potential code to be thrown) however, the rotational tab is slightly larger on the jk versus SRT and must be slightly ground off to fit.

i also removed the 1/2 inch seat belt standoff ( where the bolt goes thru to hold to seat frame) the jk has a 1/2 extension on passenger side seat and needs to be cut off to work on SRT and allow room for the firing safety restraint system .

Weight on sensor works correctly , no codes and airbags are intact.
The following users liked this post:
Lee Camp (01-27-2020)

Quick Reply: SRT seat swap