Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRT steering wheel in JK

Old 02-03-2019, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default SRT steering wheel in JK

Wanted to post weekend project that just finished in shop.
We did custom 2012 WK SRT power seat swap and posted here and this was the next swap before the 6.4 goes in. I’ve scene a few threads however our approach was slightly different. Not recommending unless you have proper wiring and tools necessary. ( lol)

the SRT wheel was a custom (Obviously modded to flat top with a beautiful leather and outstanding stitch work done.) Do not know who did the mod was a salvage purchase that was mint. Had a WK center spline ( which is larger than the Jk’s 36 spline ) non heated with paddle shift.

Friend moddified a hub spacer from old allignment machine to clear the boss on the magnesium wheel so we could try something different and press center spline out. Supported the wheel and leveled in press and used a torch to slightly warm the casting. The spline is pressed in from the front toward the bottom and tapered and has a bottoming shelf inside wheel casting. ( can only come on one way or you will shatter wheel ) the center steel spline in indexes at 6 and 9 position. The spline also has a row of cross cut steel that when pressed into the interference fit bite into the magneasium
Preventing rotation . ( the center nut on steering shaft provides a sheer force when torqued and increases the force preventing any rotation. The Jk spline is center cut for bite while the SRT wheel uses a spline that is cut to bite toward the top front edge of the casting. ( pics included for reference) larger is SRT smaller 2013 Jk.

i purchased a beater Jk wheel from salvage yard for 50.00 only to attempt removing the center spline intact. I was hoping a spline swap was possible . This spline was in fact pressed out without destroying the wheel or cracking the casting. ( thanks to a friend who I could not of done this project without!!! Always willing to lend a hand in shop for my crazy projects!!

the actual difference in height is minimal and does not effect the swap. We took the Jk center spline and machined the exterior step ledge so it was around 2 thousandths under the size of the machined crosscut interference fit .

This now allowed the the spline to have a intereferance fit similar to original spline. We did opt to add industrial steel epoxy to aid with the interference fit ( along with another safety of a drilled and tapped bolt thru the lower casting into
the hardened steel insert ) this Coupled with the other added safety modifications will not allow the spline to potentially slip inside the casting . While I am not an engineer, I do know mechanical engineers. I wanted at least two additional safety’s built into this approach to the swap.

the pin out wiring is well documented on the 6 pin connector, the additional wiring for paddle shift is not used for now. ( I am working on this being a functional piece when the 6.4 is finally installed ) it is possible with the correct interface box being built out.

The airbag and horn horn was plug and play and the reason I went with this year wheel.

Sorry for
the the long post , hope you like the pictures and information. Steering wheel
looks and feel great in the JK and goes great with the modded SRT custom seats.

SRT new wheel

Donor jk center spline

Srt larger spline

Center splines pressed out

Jk wheel Removed

Test fit and checked my measurements

A mess

Air bag swapped Over no issues

All radio functions and cruises work perfectly

Srt wheel and new dash installed with the 10.25 head unit

Finished

Last edited by Qind; 02-03-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Had request for better interior shot , sorry for poor pics, do no justice .

Better pic of the custom Flat top SRT wheel in the JK ( truly looks factory)
Old 02-03-2019, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow thats nice. Good work.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:44 PM
JK Newbie

Thats nice! What brand stereo unit is that? It would look good in my Rubicon
Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, the head unit is a new android ( similar restyle to large alpine unit) has worked flawless for last 6 monthss steering functions worked outta box. Came with direct plug and play harness and Canbus adapter so computer didn’t get angry . Was like $550 I believe

Last edited by Qind; 02-04-2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes! This is EXACTLY what I've been dying to do. I want the flat bottom wheel, the bottom of mine is beat. I've only seen one other swap done online with painfully little information, this is a great write up. You mentioned the SRT wheel had been modded for a flat top and re-wrapped, I wonder if it would be possible to do something similar with the stock wheel to flatten the bottom. The bottom spoke would have to be trimmed but since the wheel is getting wrapped anyway it might be possible to make it secure and give it a finished look. Of course I'd be missing out on the nice grips on the SRT wheel.. More to think about. Nice work!
Old 02-04-2019, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Yes there is a company who will take your factory Jk wheel and do the flat bottom then re wrap. Their outta UK (but I’ve seen their work). It’s perfect I think just under 400 pounds with wheel swap( whatever that works out in U.S money, lol) either way it’s not a cheap mod but since doing seats and other SRT mods ....plus the 6.4 going in, seemed fitting

Last edited by Qind; 02-14-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Wow what a cool upgrade. I may look into doing this.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Very nice!
The following users liked this post:
Qind (02-14-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 09:25 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the positive post and PM's guys. It was a fun project doing the whole SRT interior swap . Just got 4:56 gears swap completed and all the goodies .. Last is waiting on custom radiator being built and cooler. Also a few other swap parts. Then the wK 6.4 drops in. Been a long process .

Quick Reply: SRT steering wheel in JK