JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Starting issue with 2008 jk rubicon (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/starting-issue-2008-jk-rubicon-349834/)

Gill Fussell 03-31-2019 07:07 AM

Starting issue with 2008 jk rubicon

Please help. Just bought a 2008 jk rubicon. This is my first Jeep and I bought it from a private seller. I’ve had it for less then a week and I’m already having issues. Now I’ve heard some things about the 3.8L. But I’m having some starting issues. The other day I came out from the store and went to start my Jeep. It’s a 6 speed so it was in neutral and I had my foot on the clutch and break. It started just fine but then died out. I did it again and tried to keep it alive with some gas but it still died out. After a couple minutes I tried again and it was just fine. Weird. It then happened again on the trial. But that’s not it. This morning I went to crank it up and get the heat going and it wouldn’t start. It turned over just fine so it wasn’t the battery or starter. So I left it for about 20 minutes and tried again and it was just fine. Started no problem. I have no clue what it is. I hate to say it but I’m regretting buying it.
Thanks in advance.

karls10jk 03-31-2019 07:35 AM

I'd check grounds under the hood first and see what you find. Make sure your battery connections are tight and clean. These vehicles are really rather reliable. I'm at 195k on my 2010 and wouldn't think twice about driving it clear across the country. We've got another member with 250,000 on his 08 and he does drive it absolutely everywhere from coast to coast.

Gill Fussell 03-31-2019 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 4339174)
I'd check grounds under the hood first and see what you find. Make sure your battery connections are tight and clean. These vehicles are really rather reliable. I'm at 195k on my 2010 and wouldn't think twice about driving it clear across the country. We've got another member with 250,000 on his 08 and he does drive it absolutely everywhere from coast to coast.

ill give that a shot. The guy did say that the batteries had to be charged before I bought it. Since it had been sitting for a month. But it left me stranded again today. So kinda frustrated. But I’ll check it out.

EHarris 03-31-2019 06:14 PM

Batteries wouldn't leave you stuck. Alternator would. I have an 08 and just redid battery, terminals, alternator and starter. Got it done with before it left me stranded. Mopar alternator from quadratic and AC Delco starter from rock auto.

redsfan 04-08-2019 04:55 AM

spark plugs?

BoraBora 04-08-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by EHarris (Post 4339198)
Batteries wouldn't leave you stuck. Alternator would. I have an 08 and just redid battery, terminals, alternator and starter. Got it done with before it left me stranded. Mopar alternator from quadratic and AC Delco starter from rock auto.

This ^

Test/get your alternator checked. Sounds like your culprit.

DEJK2012 04-08-2019 07:39 AM

Buy a new battery and get that alternator tested. hopefully that fixes it. In my opinion the next culprit could be fuel pump if the battery and alt dont fix it.

LDHunter 04-11-2019 07:44 AM

My 08 JKX was doing exactly the same thing when I bought it and my mechanic was doing an oil change and I asked him to look at the battery. It was 2yrs and 5 months old and he said it was "kind of weak". Before he could say anything else I said throw a new one in while I'm here and he did.

A few days later I realized the erratic starting problem had disappeared and it hasn't appeared since. I rarely let a battery get old. Getting stuck in the middle of Bum Flock Egypt is no fun and batteries are cheap.