JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Steering (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/steering-350004/)

noctanbulo 04-17-2019 04:01 PM

Steering

Hi guys i need help i have a 07 jk. 5" lift 38" tires. Is driving me crazy just to keep it on my lane when i am driving. New draglink ...u joint...ball joints. Tie rod. And still going to the sides while i drive amd if street is a bit declined to the side pull my jk to that side badly. Amd on interstate is crazy. Please any suggestions

Schlieko 04-17-2019 05:24 PM

Try having your hubs and bearings checked. If they are bad, can give a bobble-head feeling when driving.

nthinuf 04-17-2019 05:32 PM

What is the caster? Post the most recent alignment specs.

And you may as well list the specific lift that is installed, along with all of the aftermarket components since there can be multiple versions of each type of component. Is the draglink flipped, or is a Drop Pitman installed? Which components for caster correction? What brand/model tires?

resharp001 04-17-2019 05:37 PM

2dr, 5" of lift, and 38s. Give me a "C", give me an "A", give me a "S", give me a "T", give me an "E", give me an "R"......what's that spell? CASTER.

Short wheelbase, with extreme lift, and big/heavy tires, it's never going to handle like a corvette, but you should be able to feel comfortable driving it. What kind of caster correction do you currently have, and as nthinuf asked, what is the current caster?

noctanbulo 04-17-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4340314)
2dr, 5" of lift, and 38s. Give me a "C", give me an "A", give me a "S", give me a "T", give me an "E", give me an "R"......what's that spell? CASTER.

Short wheelbase, with extreme lift, and big/heavy tires, it's never going to handle like a corvette, but you should be able to feel comfortable driving it. What kind of caster correction do you currently have, and as nthinuf asked, what is the current caster?

it is a 4 door

resharp001 04-17-2019 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by noctanbulo (Post 4340315)
it is a 4 door

Just going off OP which said "JK" rather than "JKU", and no further details in file. So wheelbase is a little longer, that is still very extreme tbh. 3.5" and 37s leans extreme, and the higher you go, the more important all steering and driveline geometry is. Do you have current alignment specs?

noctanbulo 04-17-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4340316)
Just going off OP which said "JK" rather than "JKU", and no further details in file. So wheelbase is a little longer, that is still very extreme tbh. 3.5" and 37s leans extreme, and the higher you go, the more important all steering and driveline geometry is. Do you have current alignment specs?

no but was alligned a week ago

resharp001 04-17-2019 05:56 PM

If they did not give you a spec sheet, call and ask them if they can pull on up. Just cuz it was aligned, doesn't mean it's all good. If you have no means by which to correct caster, then they can't correct caster. They can't do anything about camber on our JK, but they can very well adjust toe and straighten your steering wheel and say "you're good to go, it's aligned". I would think the place should still be able to supply the specs for you. Once you see the specs and can tell us what the caster is, we can determine within 98% accuracy (:wink:) that is or is not likely your issue.

Did you recently acquire this jeep? Do you know if there are adjustable control arms, aftermarket fixed control arms, control arm drop brackets, or cam bolts installed? If you're not certain, snap a few pics of the front suspension and we can help identify for you.

DEJK2012 04-18-2019 04:53 AM

Maybe we should start a new folder under Modified JK Tech and have it named Suspension Issues. So people can read the other posts before posting and learn more about what is needed to fix their issue or learn what their issue is before posting. And as per your issue basically what everyone else said :ya:

resharp001 04-18-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by DEJK2012 (Post 4340341)
Maybe we should start a new folder under Modified JK Tech and have it named Suspension Issues. So people can read the other posts before posting and learn more about what is needed to fix their issue or learn what their issue is before posting. And as per your issue basically what everyone else said :ya:

We definitely need a few new stickies around here to accompany Dirtman's thoughts on lifts. Specifically

- What the heck is caster, and why do I care?
- My Rough Country lift has poor handling, what's all this I read about drop pitman arms?
- I want 37s, what do I need to run them?

I've joined a couple unrelated forums recently, so it's fresh in my mind how aggravating they can be to sort through when you're not necessarily certain what you're searching for. Even when you are searching for an exact item it's a bit daunting, so I get it. You could spend hours reading steering related threads, and it's almost too daunting. People need quick and tailored help to their issue.....but it does indeed lead to the same thing over and over. I don't fault anyone for asking, but yes, we definitely need a couple new stickies so we're not having to type the same thing over and over. Maybe I'll start working on one of em.