Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering, lifts, track bars, and control arms- Need some help.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I personally like to keep everything the same but for no other reason than aesthetics.
Yeah- me too Rubimon. That's why I was wondering how much the upper control arms would show. Maybe I'll go back to the original plan (3" Full Traction). I noticed that you guys installed it on your JK. How does it ride? With the economy lift, is your steering okay? Are you planning on adding to the lift later? Sorry- one more question- Would there be a big difference in ride on the 4 door?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

I was just called today that my Teraflex 4" with Arms is in. The tires ands wheels are done already. Mickey Classic II 17x9 with 35" BFG M/T . We will see how the combo looks, I can always move to 37" next set, after the minor grinding and replacment of the rock rails. Looking for somthing to block the road crude. I will hopefully have it done next week, i will post pics for sure.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lindsaythomp
Yeah- me too Rubimon. That's why I was wondering how much the upper control arms would show. Maybe I'll go back to the original plan (3" Full Traction). I noticed that you guys installed it on your JK. How does it ride? With the economy lift, is your steering okay? Are you planning on adding to the lift later? Sorry- one more question- Would there be a big difference in ride on the 4 door?
I did the 3" Economy lift. As with any economy lift there are trade offs. I am not using the track bar reloaction bracket which makes steering better. I do have on order the front upper control arms ( to adjust the angle of the front axle, caster, back to the stock setting) and an adjustable front track bar( to recenter the axle, because of not using the relocation bracket). Both of these things supposedly will help return things back to more of the original handling before the lift. I will let you know as soon as they come in, how well I like it then. In hindsight, I would have done these things at the same time. My jeep handles okay, especially around town. At highway speeds I feel like I have to pay closer attention, which probably makes me a better driver. (Not holding the wheel with 3 fingers while also holding a sandwhich with one hand, while talking on the cell phone and changing radio stations with the other. LOL)I will probably keep adding control arms, etc until I essentially have the ultimate kit. That is the nice thing about the Full Traction set-up is you can keep adding until you're satisfied.

As far as the 4 door goes, I think your ride will be better because of the longer wheel base. That is also the case without a lift as well.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Kermit
i will post pics for sure.
Yes- please do! I'd love to see them.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

A girl is turning more wrenches than me. Great. Time for a new avatar.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

I hadn't thought about it before this thread, but now I plan on painting my control arms when I lift the Jeep, unless they are already something other than black. Maybe even something close to the red rock. Is there a paint that is flexible when it cures, similar to polyurethane? Then I could do the springs, too!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:12 AM
JK Freak

you can rattle-can anything any color you want. with my old gunmetal blue TJ, i was a big fan of spraypainting things yellow.
it's easy to piece-meal a kit together, and i'm a advocate of getting adj. control arms and track bars, just in case you want to go higher later, you don't have to buy something twice.
as a general rule, from what i've noticed on other jeeps, a lift will net you a little more than advertised. nobody on the site has stated actual height gains from their work yet though. that being said, a 4" kit is a lot of room for 35's. you may want to move to 37's, or a smaller kit, to keep your CoG down.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by degenerate
as a general rule, from what i've noticed on other jeeps, a lift will net you a little more than advertised. nobody on the site has stated actual height gains from their work yet though. that being said, a 4" kit is a lot of room for 35's. you may want to move to 37's, or a smaller kit, to keep your CoG down.
Actually, not true at all. Virtually all coil lifts will initially yield you quite a bit more height then advertised but most will settle down to about the advertised height ±.5". And, a lot of lifts will sag even lower than the advertised height in just a matter of months. Or, at least that has been my experience with lift kits.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Actually, not true at all. Virtually all coil lifts will initially yield you quite a bit more height then advertised but most will settle down to about the advertised height ±.5". And, a lot of lifts will sag even lower than the advertised height in just a matter of months. Or, at least that has been my experience with lift kits.
yeah, i know what you are saying, all springs eventually sag, and i suppose it would make a difference on the quality of spring how long that took. my buddy's RE kit (the 3.5", for the TJ) was closer to 4.5" of net lift, and stayed like that for a while, after settling is was around 4", and stayed that way until his xfer. i had OME springs (4") on mine, and it was just over 5" , 4 3/4 or so after settling. i rolled it before it had time to sag

Quick Reply: Steering, lifts, track bars, and control arms- Need some help.