Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires

Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon6
Will the TF kit work w/ aftermarket boxes? I have the syngery track bar and sector shaft brace (https://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-J...t-p-30220.html) that would work well w/ the redneck ram but would not work if I went with a PSC XD box/hydro-assist setup.

I have their drag link and that thing is crazy big- I believe its close to 20lbs! Definitely an improvement over the factory kit and Evo flip kit that was on my JKU when I purchased it. Yeti is working on an aluminium setup as we speak and is in prototype currently, I'm debating on it vs Fusion4x4 2.5 ton tie rod (https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...ring-c22913216).

You don't need to run a sector shaft brace with hydro or hydro assist, as it takes most of the load/stress off. If your sector shaft is still in good shape, remove the brace and sell it; It's not necessary anymore.

The Fusion is nice, but idk where they're pulling the "2.5 ton" crap out of. Good marketing, and a good product...but just not true. They are not equipped with Rockwell tie rod ends.

It'd probably be cheaper to buy an aluminum rod (1.75" OD 7075 if you're set on that) and just drill/tap the ends. I'd prefer to run a more commonly found joint (e.g. GM, Rare Parts, Ruff Stuff). Don't get me wrong, the Fusion TRE's look good, and seems to have little flop...but they certainly are not "2.5 ton" TRE's. I personally don't see the $500+ of value...

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-20-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this^^^^^^^^^^^ +1
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
The Fusion is nice, but idk where they're pulling the "2.5 ton" crap out of. Good marketing, and a good product...but just not true. They are not equipped with Rockwell tie rod ends.

It'd probably be cheaper to buy an aluminum rod (1.75" OD 7075 if you're set on that) and just drill/tap the ends. I'd prefer to run a more commonly found joint (e.g. GM, Rare Parts, Ruff Stuff). Don't get me wrong, the Fusion TRE's look good, and seems to have little flop...but they certainly are not "2.5 ton" TRE's. I personally don't see the $500+ of value...
Thats why I cont to await the yeti tie rod, plus I'm not a fan of jam nuts for steering components (personal experience).
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Any rough ETA on the Yeti’s?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:31 PM
JK Newbie

I am looking for a tie-rod and drag-link upgrade for my Dana 44 however my plan is to go to 60's and PSC Hydro in the near future. I want to be able to carryover the steering components to from the 44 to 60 if possible. Running 37's at the moment, unsure if I will go to 40's but I want to future proof for 40's if I decide to make the jump. Trails run are the Hammers with Fordyce on the bucket list but need the Jeep to keep good highway manners. What would you guys recommend?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Looks like I will be going this way:
Reid high steer knuckles
Dynatrac ball joints
Yeti XD top mount kit (tierod + draglink)
Yeti trackbar relocation bracket (welded)
PSC assist with 1.75" ram

Plan is to use the TB bracket for the PSC and relocate my Teraflex trackbar (came with my CT3 Alpine lift kit)
Below is a photo to demonstrate the nice geometry and clearance (not all the exact parts I'll be using but close).

Questions:
1) Should I add the Yeti Griffin dampener to the Yeti draglink?
2) Is the Teraflex trackbar strong enough for this setup or should I add the Yeti XD trackbar?

Old 03-21-2018, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by preeb
Looks like I will be going this way:
Reid high steer knuckles
Dynatrac ball joints
Yeti XD top mount kit (tierod + draglink)
Yeti trackbar relocation bracket (welded)
PSC assist with 1.75" ram

Plan is to use the TB bracket for the PSC and relocate my Teraflex trackbar (came with my CT3 Alpine lift kit)
Below is a photo to demonstrate the nice geometry and clearance (not all the exact parts I'll be using but close).

Questions:
1) Should I add the Yeti Griffin dampener to the Yeti draglink?
2) Is the Teraflex trackbar strong enough for this setup or should I add the Yeti XD trackbar?

My $0.02:

Go with the Rare Parts ball joints. I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and holy beeeeffff. They came in insanely nice cases too, like pistol cases (more can't hurt heheh). The Dynatrac rebuild kits cost an arm and a leg for what they are, and considering the original price tag on the ball joints. I've read of people needing to rebuild them after a few thousand miles (similar mileage to the Synergy's, Alloys, ...etc.).

IMO the Yeti Griffin dampener isn't necessary. Yes, the Teraflex track bars are beef, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Any reason you decided to go the PSC route over the West Texas RNR?
Old 03-21-2018, 05:36 PM
JK Newbie

My $0.02:

Go with the Rare Parts ball joints. I just got mine in the mail yesterday, and holy beeeeffff. They came in insanely nice cases too, like pistol cases (more can't hurt heheh). The Dynatrac rebuild kits cost an arm and a leg for what they are, and considering the original price tag on the ball joints. I've read of people needing to rebuild them after a few thousand miles (similar mileage to the Synergy's, Alloys, ...etc.).

IMO the Yeti Griffin dampener isn't necessary. Yes, the Teraflex track bars are beef, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Any reason you decided to go the PSC route over the West Texas RNR?
I will definitely look into the Rare Parts ball joints. Not seen many installed while the Dynatracs are very common but that doesn't mean I will not happily support a newer US product if it is indeed better!

The RNR's are currently at least 3 weeks back ordered and this will continue until August... since I will need to send my own gear box in for fitting (they are out of gear boxes too..) it means a very long down time for my Jeep which is really bad.

Yeti Griffin dampener removes a lot of stress from the gear box which is TMHO better than a reinforcement bracket with lower bearing that requires frequent attention, plus it dampens vibrations from the steering wheel. This, along with the PSC Steering Big Bore XD Cylinder should make a good strong and smooth steering experience. At least that is my thought so correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I really don't think you'll need the dampener. Once you have hydro assist, the ram is taking any vibration or impact to the steering. The drag link and pinion arm don't do much. I have WTO hydro assist and can drive with one finger, no vibrations. At least that's my experience with hydro assist.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:28 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I will definitely look into the Rare Parts ball joints. Not seen many installed while the Dynatracs are very common but that doesn't mean I will not happily support a newer US product if it is indeed better!
I've had pretty good luck with my DT BJs. It's been 33k miles and close to 3 years now on 37s. That said, I'd go with RP as well mainly due to design, but also customer serivce/support and details all the way down to the packaging (as noted).

The RNR's are currently at least 3 weeks back ordered and this will continue until August... since I will need to send my own gear box in for fitting (they are out of gear boxes too..) it means a very long down time for my Jeep which is really bad.
Dang, 3 weeks backorder is huge downtime! I've had RNR in the back of my mind for a while now.....as well as PSC big bore XD as an the other option.

Quick Reply: Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires