JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/steering-upgrade-options-37-40-tires-345697/)

preeb 03-18-2018 08:55 AM

Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires

Got my first JK last year and about to complete the upgrades (Yeah, I know it never actually ends).
Started with the obvious ( see signature list ) with a basic plan to have a capable off roader (doing moderate to difficult trails) that will still retain a good freeway behavior as we go far distances occasionally.
Medium 3.5" lift with minimal maintenance sufficient to accept 37's and the expensive list of "must do's" to support the tire size...
Left the steering components for last since, truth is, I had no idea what level of assist nor type of steering reinforcement I will need, so I decided to hit the trails and see what breaks (-;
Things went fine for a while but did a tough Table Mesa trail yesterday and when stopping to air up I noticed the steering is super hard while in stand still. Moving slowly brought the power back.
It was so hard to turn the wheels that it was very obvious that something went bad. Checked the bottom and all is OK, checked the power steering fluid level OK, Jeep steering perfect when moving but doesn't steer at stand still.
I assume the problem is not mechanical and may be the pump or possibly the box but since I managed to break the system (expected...) I'd rather not fix to stock level and risk another failure.

I'm considering a hydro assist kit to support the current setup and possibly a 40" setup in the future so it should be a "buy once" thing given the high $ involved in this type of upgrade.
Other options may be full hydro (risky if fails.. I get completely stuck) or beefing up the box/pump.
I know I also need to replace the ball joints (Dynatrac probably) and entire Steering Linkage as well to have the job done once and correctly.

I would like to ask those of you who do hard wheeling and have upgraded their steering for their input as far as recommended setup and which exact kit and steering parts are satisfactory based on actual experience.

... and thanks for having me on your awesome forum!

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...e271818c4b.jpg

Earth Siege 03-18-2018 04:42 PM

I went with PSC rams. It was not cheap but well worth it. Had some extra work to make it work with my LS conversion. Later i learned of Redneck Rams and comes highly recommended after the fact. Also hear its a less expensive option. Look into it and a frame brace

BoraBora 03-18-2018 07:17 PM

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 37" Trail Graps. My plan is to go with the West Texas kit, and send them my stock steering box for them to tap. I'll either run their ram, or the PSC.

Don't go full hydro if you drive it on the road any long distances. If it was a trailer queen, then for sure.

Last note: I really wouldn't put 40's on Rubi axles (even if they're built) unless you wrench on all your own stuff, are self-sufficient on the trails (read: not reliant on the help of others in the event of a failure or breakage), have great towing coverage, or...once again, don't daily or long distance drive it. Even then I still wouldn't. 37's will get you where you need to go, and are already pushing the limits of the 44's. I know Eddie/WOL ran 40's on his 44's...but there's a reason he's on ProRock 60's now.

preeb 03-18-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Earth Siege (Post 4317055)
I went with PSC rams. It was not cheap but well worth it. Had some extra work to make it work with my LS conversion. Later i learned of Redneck Rams and comes highly recommended after the fact. Also hear its a less expensive option. Look into it and a frame brace

Thanks.
The new PSC system (PSC BIG BORE XD CYLINDER ASSIST KIT) is very complete and comes with a beefy box, pump, reservoir, large hoses, cooler.. etc.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jk-...528e9ad8c9.jpg

I'm also not so sure the dealership will replace my bad pump seeing my 37 tires... LOL, so going the RNR way will require a lot more on top of it.

Except for the ram what are you using for steering Linkage and bracing on your monster rig?

preeb 03-18-2018 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by BoraBora (Post 4317065)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of 37" Trail Graps. My plan is to go with the West Texas kit, and send them my stock steering box for them to tap. I'll either run their ram, or the PSC.

Don't go full hydro if you drive it on the road any long distances. If it was a trailer queen, then for sure.

Last note: I really wouldn't put 40's on Rubi axles (even if they're built) unless you wrench on all your own stuff, are self-sufficient on the trails (read: not reliant on the help of others in the event of a failure or breakage), have great towing coverage, or...once again, don't daily or long distance drive it. Even then I still wouldn't. 37's will get you where you need to go, and are already pushing the limits of the 44's. I know Eddie/WOL ran 40's on his 44's...but there's a reason he's on ProRock 60's now.

I hear you on the full hydro.
Will not go over 37's on this Jeep for sure but if need to be I may transfer it to a new build in the future so wouldn't want to limit the capability even though it may be overkill for now.
What made you go with the West Texas RNR kit?

BoraBora 03-18-2018 08:21 PM

The PSC is great, but the West Texas RNR does the same job for significantly cheaper...so it really can't be beat for the money. Durability wise, people have been beating on the RNR for well over 7 years now without issues or reported failures. The stock pump is actually pretty dang good, so there's no real reason to replace it.

Ultimately my decision is based on the premise that if there were any real issues or flaws with the West Texas RNR, I would have read or seen them by now; I spent a solid amount of time reading about/researching hydro assist on the other forum (JKO) before formulating my opinion/decision.

Earth Siege 03-19-2018 07:10 AM

Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.

Earth Siege 03-19-2018 07:14 AM

My bracing was included with teraflex draglink flip kit, it came with a frame brace kit and brackets. When the steering gear box gets into a bind, it tries to rotate the one frame horn its mounted to which can cause damage to box and mounting point on frame. The kit forces the other frame horn to share the load and lessen the effects of the load to both horns.

preeb 03-19-2018 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoraBora (Post 4317074)
The PSC is great, but the West Texas RNR does the same job for significantly cheaper...so it really can't be beat for the money. Durability wise, people have been beating on the RNR for well over 7 years now without issues or reported failures. The stock pump is actually pretty dang good, so there's no real reason to replace it.

Ultimately my decision is based on the premise that if there were any real issues or flaws with the West Texas RNR, I would have read or seen them by now; I spent a solid amount of time reading about/researching hydro assist on the other forum (JKO) before formulating my opinion/decision.

I'll give them a call today. Their website is not very informative.

preeb 03-19-2018 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Earth Siege (Post 4317094)
Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.

No full hydro. Too dangerous even if it was legal