Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires

Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with West Texas Offroad and it's going to be at least 3 weeks turnaround time if I ship my own box and they are out of their own boxes... so 3 weeks down time for the Jeep which is
unacceptable for me but good for them I guess (-;

I noticed the air pressure on my fronts was on the low side so I brought it up to 30psi and the steering is better now but far from great while in stand still.
Is this normal for 37's at that pressure in stand still?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shipped my Box to West Texas last week, should have arrived today .Those guys had the best prices and said they would have my parts to me this week hopefully.Using the stock pump /reservoir for now so we will see if it can handle the task .
Old 03-19-2018, 12:25 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.
Thanks again for going with Dynatrac and the manchievement of installing ProRock 80s front and rear!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Yea i upgraded my axles to Dynatrac D80 front and rear for the 40" tires. Dynatrac was running a special on the pricing to upgrade when the 80s first came out. These axles doubled the weight of my jeep.

As far as full hydro-i beleive that isnt legal to drive on any street in Texas. Check your local laws before moving forward with that thought.
Our law stipulates that there must be a solid mechanical connection from steering wheel to front steering axle. Rear steering isnt affected by the law, just front steering.
Infiniti introduced the Q50 back in 2014 with "steer-by-wire" with no mechanical connection between steering wheel and tires. You can drive a Q50 in any state.

Tennessee states that you cannot modify a vehicle's original steering system.

liftlaws.com is a good starting point for what you can or cannot do.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looked up the kit i installed many years ago (there are others on the market, this is the one i used. Do your own homework to find what works for u). U can get this kit with or without raised knuckles to ease steering angles as well. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo182.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	676972   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo444.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	559.4 KB
ID:	676973  
Old 03-19-2018, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Looked up the kit i installed many years ago (there are others on the market, this is the one i used. Do your own homework to find what works for u). U can get this kit with or without raised knuckles to ease steering angles as well. Hope this helps
The TF kit is nice. Also looking at the SS kit here:
https://steersmarts.com/collections/...mount-draglink
and the Giffin here:
https://steersmarts.com/collections/.../XD+Attenuator

Anybody uses the Yeti? How do you like it?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ade
Infiniti introduced the Q50 back in 2014 with "steer-by-wire" with no mechanical connection between steering wheel and tires. You can drive a Q50 in any state.

Tennessee states that you cannot modify a vehicle's original steering system.

liftlaws.com is a good starting point for what you can or cannot do.
I'm old school... got to have a solid connection with extra big bolts on everything (-;
Old 03-19-2018, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well. I had a 1.25" tierod with the PSC ram attached and was climbing double step ledge with lockers engaged (both front axle and rear axle had to climb seperate ledges at same time) and the front tires grabbed and rears didnt and the front tie rod couldnt handle the force of both front tires driving forward and the psc ram clamped in middle and therefore it folded into a boomerang. I have had to order a larger tierod 1.5" (i was recommended to barnes4x4 one ton tierod kit with offset ends to clear the dana 80 diff for 111.00) and also had to order a larger aluminum tierod clamp for the ram to attach to for another 85.00. Its a weld together kit and im still working on it(i only work on jeep on the weekends when im feeling like it.).

Sadly the tierod that i started with never impacted anything, it merely wasnt thick enough steel in the pipe section to withstand all the force of 40" tires on lockers with a ram in middle.

If this new one fails im making my own from 1.75" threaded chromoly pipe with 7/8 ends. We shall see!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo85.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	676974   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo52.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	676975  
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Well. I had a 1.25" tierod with the PSC ram attached and was climbing double step ledge with lockers engaged (both front axle and rear axle had to climb seperate ledges at same time) and the front tires grabbed and rears didnt and the front tie rod couldnt handle the force of both front tires driving forward and the psc ram clamped in middle and therefore it folded into a boomerang. I have had to order a larger tierod 1.5" (i was recommended to barnes4x4 one ton tierod kit with offset ends to clear the dana 80 diff for 111.00) and also had to order a larger aluminum tierod clamp for the ram to attach to for another 85.00. Its a weld together kit and im still working on it(i only work on jeep on the weekends when im feeling like it.).

Sadly the tierod that i started with never impacted anything, it merely wasnt thick enough steel in the pipe section to withstand all the force of 40" tires on lockers with a ram in middle.

If this new one fails im making my own from 1.75" threaded chromoly pipe with 7/8 ends. We shall see!
That thin tie rod is like a noodle crushed in your gigantic rig's mouth... LOL
I believe the Yeti is the strongest on the market and strength is the essense but it also comes with really nice ball joints..
Pricy, especially if you add the Griffin dumper but it looks like it is a "buy once" thing.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Will the TF kit work w/ aftermarket boxes? I have the syngery track bar and sector shaft brace (https://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-J...t-p-30220.html) that would work well w/ the redneck ram but would not work if I went with a PSC XD box/hydro-assist setup.

Originally Posted by preeb
The TF kit is nice. Also looking at the SS kit here:
https://steersmarts.com/collections/...mount-draglink
and the Giffin here:
https://steersmarts.com/collections/.../XD+Attenuator

Anybody uses the Yeti? How do you like it?
I have their drag link and that thing is crazy big- I believe its close to 20lbs! Definitely an improvement over the factory kit and Evo flip kit that was on my JKU when I purchased it. Yeti is working on an aluminium setup as we speak and is in prototype currently, I'm debating on it vs Fusion4x4 2.5 ton tie rod (https://www.fusion4x4.com/online-sto...ring-c22913216).

Quick Reply: Steering Upgrade Options for 37-40 tires