Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steinjager disconnects -- any remedy for the noise?

Old 09-14-2017, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Steinjager disconnects -- any remedy for the noise?

As the title suggests, I have Steinjager sway bar disconnects up front and they rattle constantly. Is there any way to reduce the noise or is it just a "live with it" kind of thing?

Thx-
Old 09-14-2017, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Upgrade your radio/system.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Seriously though, buy a few rolls of electrical tape and give them a few wraps when you're done running, then take it off the next time you need to use them, or turn up the radio.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Are you hiems worn out?
If so they can be replaced.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Are you hiems worn out?

Why does this sound like it requires an unpleasant visit to the doctor?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you hiems worn out?
I was thinking more on the other end with the disconnect sliders. Either the sliders themselves, or the ball connection. <----sounds like another unpleasant trip to the doctor.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Are you hiems worn out?
Nope. Nearly brand new. Always made this noise. Like 2k miles on them.

Seems to be the disconnect end making noise.

I think there is some slack necessary to make it possible to move the collar to disconnect them. The return spring is no way stiff enough to prevent movement. If it was it would be impossible to disconnect them by hand.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

I've considered cutting a piece of a road bike (bicycle) inner tube and making sort of a "boot" to fit over the spring collar that would at least dampen the noise somewhat. Also I think it's not a horrible idea to grease that ball joint, and that might actually reduce the rattle a little bit. Might try those things this weekend and see if I can reduce the rattling some.

Since I drive most of the time with the top down/off and during the fall (coming up) a lot of the time with the doors off, I really hear this noise.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr72
I've considered cutting a piece of a road bike (bicycle) inner tube and making sort of a "boot" to fit over the spring collar that would at least dampen the noise somewhat. Also I think it's not a horrible idea to grease that ball joint, and that might actually reduce the rattle a little bit. Might try those things this weekend and see if I can reduce the rattling some.
I'd go with the inner tube idea first, as no matter what you do for grease you're going to end up with it everywhere and transfer it when you go to unlatch the disconnects. If you go that route, I'd go with a heavy gooey kind of grease, like the red Lucas, and just a dab.

Looking at that spring, is there any way that you could tweak it a little with a pair of needle nose pliers to "adjust" the rate and stiffen it up a bit?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jordy
I'd go with the inner tube idea first, as no matter what you do for grease you're going to end up with it everywhere and transfer it when you go to unlatch the disconnects.
Yeah, for sure. But that's a really rare occurrence for me. I didn't put the disconnects on because I needed disconnects routinely, but because I needed longer end links and it made the most sense to get disconnects at the same time. It's maybe 1-2x a year I'd disconnect them.

Might make the "boot" so it'll fit over the ball as well (hole in the side) that way maybe it'll help keep the grease on there.

If you go that route, I'd go with a heavy gooey kind of grease, like the red Lucas, and just a dab.
Probably marine grade synthetic axle grease. I use it on everything.

Lookingat that spring, is there any way that you could tweak it a little with a pair of needle nose pliers to "adjust" the rate and stiffen it up a bit?
No. As you know you can't affect spring rate without changing the turns of wire or diameter of the wire. Even if I did, to get it stiff enough to not rattle would mean it's too stiff to remove by hand. And I think it's likely Steinjager designed it with some "give" on purpose. I think the inner-tube-boot route might help by dampening the noise, not eliminating the movement. Movement is not a problem, just the clack-a-clack is annoying. I think rubber boots might mute it. I might also try some neoprene velcro boots like a cut up mountain bike chainstay protector to see if that works better to squash the noise.

(I have a ton of bike parts laying around...)

Quick Reply: Steinjager disconnects -- any remedy for the noise?