Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Still have the start-up knock

Old 07-08-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have the start-up knock

so, i had been getting the "dry start" engine knock using the royal purple oil filter.

i just switched it for a Fram Tough Guard... and the damn knock is back... worked fine for a few days, 5 to be exact.

i have been through the forum a few times today for this and am not looking for someone to tell me what to use, im looking to give a heads up to everyone else.

ill be switching this one out later today for something else
Old 07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paramaniac
so, i had been getting the "dry start" engine knock using the royal purple oil filter.

i just switched it for a Fram Tough Guard... and the damn knock is back... worked fine for a few days, 5 to be exact.

i have been through the forum a few times today for this and am not looking for someone to tell me what to use, im looking to give a heads up to everyone else.

ill be switching this one out later today for something else
Take it to your dealer and get a new engine. That's what I did. I'm finding out bits and pieces. Seems there's a problem with ALOT of these engines and Chrysler ain't talkin......even to their dealers. All they do is let them diagnose a "knock" and then tell the dealer to put a short block in it. A short block is all that's available, unfortunately.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Freak

A new engine? I mean, the new filter seems to work... At least for a few days....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get fuel from some where else

i am not kidding just do it
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Different fuel? So you mean the place that has the sign "Gas" isn't the place?

I'm trying the Mobil 1 filter now, just picked it up, gonna put it on when I get back to the station.... I just filled up so ill have to wait on the gas, but I usualy use Shell 89. but its only for the first 2 secomds after startup.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paramaniac
Different fuel? So you mean the place that has the sign "Gas" isn't the place?

I'm trying the Mobil 1 filter now, just picked it up, gonna put it on when I get back to the station.... I just filled up so ill have to wait on the gas, but I usualy use Shell 89. but its only for the first 2 secomds after startup.
Mine pinged at startup with Mobil1 Filter. Switched to Motorcraft FL-400S at my last change, and so far, so good.....but its only been 4 days.....
Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has made a knock a few times on dry starts and my fan dont come on so smooth at times
Old 07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone experience this knock using the MOPAR OEM filters? We have what sounded like a small exhaust leak that disappears after a little bit. I couldnt find a leak anywhere.... maybe this is our issue....
Old 07-08-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Junkie

There is a thread on this a ways back. Some oil filters will allow a flow of oil back into the pan while others such as the OEM will hold oil in the system.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
There is a thread on this a ways back. Some oil filters will allow a flow of oil back into the pan while others such as the OEM will hold oil in the system.
i know, i had read just about all of them before deciding to start this one up. just venting i guess....

i put the Mobil 1 on, we will see what happens

Quick Reply: Still have the start-up knock