Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Need Direction!
Stay on 37s
85.71%
Go to 35s
14.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Axle Question for Rubicon Owners...37s vs 35s

Old 11-20-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs guys. I have my cart loaded up online to buy new axles (superior), ball joints, gussets for the C (teraflex uppers), and a truss for the right side. I can't swing 2 grand plus on the dynatrac housing right now, and its hard fur me to justify the extra $400 for CV axles when the cro mo u jointed ones are guaranteed for ten years.

So, since you guys are basically saying the diff will hold up fine, I think I will buy 37s and run them til the tread is gone. At that point I can always drop back to 35s if I feel the need to. I guess my rationale is that its easier to stay on em now, then drop than it would be to drop, then regret it and go back!

Last edited by Robar; 11-21-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Blacklisted manufacturer
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense to Teraflex, but you really should be getting the EVO Gussets.... there's nothing else like them. Don't abandon 37s, build up your axel a bit and stick with them. Remember you can always reuse your new shafts etc when/if you upgrade to a Prorock and you can just get the housing by itself, save some bucks and have a killer axel.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jet noise
its hard fur me to justify the extra $400 for CV axles when the cro mo u jointed ones are guaranteed for ten years.
The reason you spend the extra money for the RCV's is to get a shaft and joint that will never, ever crow-hop. It doesn't dsound like a big deal...but I love the way that the RCV's perform at full lock. Yes, that last 5% of performance is expensive...but it sure does put a smile on your face
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The JK 44 front axle can withstand 37's if you're reasonable about your expectations. It's not a 60 (obviously) but they can handle a lot of abuse. RCVs are your BEST option but they're not needed by everyone. Your 10 year warranty leads me to think you're getting Discovery series not Evolution. Unless things have changed recently, Discovery is a imported shaft with a 10 year warranty and the Evolution is a domestic shaft with a lifetime warranty. The Evolution shaft is the better u-joint style axle option.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
RCVs are your BEST option but they're not needed by everyone.
Well said.

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
...if you're reasonable...
Reasonable? REASONABLE? Maybe you missed something here...we're talking about putting 37's on a Jeep! The train for reasonable town left a long, looooong time ago!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
The reason you spend the extra money for the RCV's is to get a shaft and joint that will never, ever crow-hop. It doesn't dsound like a big deal...but I love the way that the RCV's perform at full lock. Yes, that last 5% of performance is expensive...but it sure does put a smile on your face
Could not agree more. My first trip down Black Bear Pass in Telluride CO.....Jeep crow hopping toward the edge of a cliff with a very long drop....that sold me on the RCV's. Expensive, but worth it.

Quick Reply: Stock Axle Question for Rubicon Owners...37s vs 35s