Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped Pinnion Nut

Old 07-21-2017, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Stripped Pinnion Nut

Replacing driveshafts with 1310 Adams. Front done, started the rear, removed Shaft and replaced the t-case yoke, started on the rear diff and when I had my gears installed last September they rounded the nut bad, looks like they used an oversized socket. Contacted the installer (not naming) and sent them pics, they called back and said the nut wasn't in their store and they were trying to locate one for me. They also said they couldn't get to me until the end of the month. After mulling it over I called back and told them I wanted them to remove the nut and get in it tomorrow if nut is available. I be pissed if I have to reinstall the original again.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Got call back and was told to bring Jeep in tomorrow with my new drive shaft and they would install it. At least it doesn't seam to be too bad except that I need to drive about 15 miles in 4HI. Guess I'll leave early in AM before traffic is too bad.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Got your PM and was in the process of texting you back. That sucks about the nut. You're fine to drive in 4hi (no rear shaft) all day long without issues. She'll steer a little funny and take off in an odd manner but it'll be just fine. I drove like that for a week.....cruise control and all.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah what he said ^ you'll be totally fine.

I'd be pissed if I were you, but at least they're not giving you a hassle. Make sure they don't strip the f'ing nut this time lol
Old 07-22-2017, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

We'll I have to say 4wheel parts here in VA BCH are very customer service oriented. Didn't charge me anything and installed the rear shaft as well. I realize people make mistakes but glad they owned up and took care of the issue.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great that they took care of you. I was doing some driveshaft work today and got to fight some u joint bolts that had been all but destroyed. It's crazy that folks can't just use the right tool for the job.

Quick Reply: Stripped Pinnion Nut