Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong head wind makes jeep go backwards!

Old 06-12-2017, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strong head wind makes jeep go backwards!

Driving to the airport today with a strong head wind was depressing! Jeep was floored and i could not hold 60 mph. After a few i realized this was a losing battle and backed off of the gas but felt defeated. The rest of the trip consisted of what to do to help this pig out. The Hemi/LS conversions are a bit out of my league so i come to the vast knowledge of the fourm for help. I don't need to be a10 second monster, but some get up and go would be nice.

What i have is a 2011 JKU 3.8 with 373's and 33" tires.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

It must've been quite the wind. Regearing can help you in that particular scenario but would likely suck (experience and fuel wise) in most other scenarios.

Do you have excess weight that you're carrying around? I ask because I didn't feel that kind of depression with my 33's and 3.8 until I was pulling a trailer and hit that wind you're talking about.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A Programmer might change the shift points a bit. Maybe you'd feel it. But since your tires are only an inch taller than the stock 32's, maybe not.

Tuners claim to add somewhere around 20 HP. Way up over 5k rpm. Down in the range most of us run, expect 6-8 HP or so. (Some people say they can feel that extra power, I can't.)

CAI's and Thottle Body spacers and other bolt-ons don't have the best rep as far as performance goes. Most here seem to say they are not worth the cost.

Gears will raise the RPM for a given speed. Higher rpm = more HP and Torque. There are easy to read charts in the FAQ's stuck to the top of this modified area, and there are a bunch of Dyno charts to be found with a quick search to get some ideas. (I ran 5.13's with 33's for a few months, and didn't mind it a bit. Just depends on use and preference.)

Forced Induction may be a viable option, and certainly cheaper than a v8 swap. You'll need to read through a bunch of threads to see if any of the turbo's or superchargers make sense.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gears will help the most. I am running 37s with my 3.8 and going to 40s with 5.38s. I just put up with the horrible highway power as the price to pay for awesome off-road capabilities.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gears then power adders if you don't\can't go V8

with a head wind you just gotta go slow and take in the scenery...not much you can do in a Jeep
Old 06-12-2017, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same experience in my Jeep over the winter holidays. I have about a 6.5hr drive to my parent's farm and had the luxury of having a headwind in both directions.

4.10 stock gearing with 35s and the pentastar, I lost speed in 6th gear, had to drive in 5th. I got 11 MPG on the trip home...
Old 06-13-2017, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

You guys are over thinking this....you just need to use the features already built into the Jeep. Take the hard top off, fold down the front windshield, and put on a pair of goggles to keep the bugs out of your eyes, and Walla!!! An instantly more aerodynamic Wrangler that will go through a head wind much easier.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Hard to think the 3.8L with 3.73 couldn't hold 60mph with 33's on. That must have been a heck of a headwind. If the jeep beats you down daily driving it, then regearing is probably worthwhile. If it was more of a one-off event due to the wind that specific day and you're still generally happy, I'd chalk it up to driving the least aerodynamic box and not worry bout it. I personally think all the non-regearing or engine swap options offer minimal gain in power and that it's typically a placebo effect. They might technically add some HP, but it's not noticeable in the seat of your pants.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Superchargers can be had for under $6k especially for the 3.8. They are supposed to add up to 50% gains. A lot cheaper than a hemi swap.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Stage 2 turbo system for the 3.8 Wrangler will give about a 100% gain in power and torque for $5999.

Also, contrary to popular opinion/belief, the turbo produces some amazing gains in the mid-RPM range for the type of high-load situations you are talking about: driving uphill or into winds at freeway speeds, passing, etc..

Let me know if you would like more info or have any questions.

~Jeff

Quick Reply: Strong head wind makes jeep go backwards!