Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong head wind makes jeep go backwards!

Old 06-13-2017, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great advise. Once i break open a few piggy banks I'll make the first step. I definitely see some new gears in the future.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
You guys are over thinking this....you just need to use the features already built into the Jeep. Take the hard top off, fold down the front windshield, and put on a pair of goggles to keep the bugs out of your eyes, and Walla!!! An instantly more aerodynamic Wrangler that will go through a head wind much easier.
This is the best advise yet!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I towed a 1300lb trailer with my 3.8 on 33.5's with factory 4.10's for a little while, and while it was not a race car , I definitely was never defeated by a head wind... Going to 4.88's and 35's felt like I gained some power especially off the line... Sounds like you have an Auto and need to regear...

I picked up a used RIPP for $2700 and now with 37's and 4.88's its got more power than I even need...
Old 06-14-2017, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

yup ive got a 2015 willys with 34s and cant imagine a head wind so strong that I couldn't break 60! Now my 4cyl tj is a different story!
Originally Posted by Ajkaz
I towed a 1300lb trailer with my 3.8 on 33.5's with factory 4.10's for a little while, and while it was not a race car , I definitely was never defeated by a head wind... Going to 4.88's and 35's felt like I gained some power especially off the line... Sounds like you have an Auto and need to regear...

I picked up a used RIPP for $2700 and now with 37's and 4.88's its got more power than I even need...
Old 06-14-2017, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem in town driving my jeep was fine but get on the hwy in some rolling hills and it sucked even with 5.13 gears. Instead of spending money on lockers and a v8 swap I decided to go with a new jeep. The 3.6 and the new transmission make a huge difference. I have not added bigger tires yet but I am happy as of now.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Jeep but my biggest complaint has always been lack of power. I live at about 4,000' altitude. We have mountains and winds. Combine the three and it's not a fun drive.

I considered a supercharger but at 100,000 miles I didn't think my engine was a good candidate for one. Thought about trading my Wrangler for a new one but my Jeep is pretty much set up how I like it and it the end I would still have a small V6 engine.

Wanted an engine conversion but never thought I could afford it. I followed Robbie at MoTech and he has been doing some great things with his LS conversions. He has streamlined things enough that it is virtually a bolt-in conversion and he has actually lowered prices. I figured out a way that I could afford a "budget conversion" so last week I drove my Jeep to Las Vegas and dropped it off at Robbie's shop. It will be going from the 3.8L V6 to a 5.3L LMG 325 HP engine with 6L80 6-speed auto. Hopefully in another week or so I'll get a call to come pick it up.

That should take care of those pesky winds..
Old 06-15-2017, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cb4017
I love my Jeep but my biggest complaint has always been lack of power. I live at about 4,000' altitude. We have mountains and winds. Combine the three and it's not a fun drive.

I considered a supercharger but at 100,000 miles I didn't think my engine was a good candidate for one. Thought about trading my Wrangler for a new one but my Jeep is pretty much set up how I like it and it the end I would still have a small V6 engine.

Wanted an engine conversion but never thought I could afford it. I followed Robbie at MoTech and he has been doing some great things with his LS conversions. He has streamlined things enough that it is virtually a bolt-in conversion and he has actually lowered prices. I figured out a way that I could afford a "budget conversion" so last week I drove my Jeep to Las Vegas and dropped it off at Robbie's shop. It will be going from the 3.8L V6 to a 5.3L LMG 325 HP engine with 6L80 6-speed auto. Hopefully in another week or so I'll get a call to come pick it up.

You will not be disappointed! I did this last year to my 09. It is extremely fun to drive now.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cb4017

Curios to know how much they have come down, I'd though about selling my 2 door and buying a hi-mileage 4 door to get the swap into.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajkaz
Curios to know how much they have come down, I'd though about selling my 2 door and buying a hi-mileage 4 door to get the swap into.
Base price for the turn-key conversion is $14,999. That's for a Gen IV 5.3L LMG engine and 6L80 6-speed auto. This is what I'm doing. Robbie told me the engines he gets typically have 30-40 thousand miles on them. Depending on how much you want to spend they are even doing Gen V engines with the 8-speed auto.

Quick Reply: Strong head wind makes jeep go backwards!