Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STT Pro's winter performance

Old 11-05-2017, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default STT Pro's winter performance

For those of you who have had experience with these, I'm curious to know how the STT Pro's are doing in hard packed snow and icey conditions. Does the addition of silica in the tire compound do anything at all to help with this, or is it strictly a rolling resistance thing? The most recent post I could find on this specifically was back in 2015, so hoping some new opinions on these have formed since then. It's a toss up between these and possibly the Duractracs and someone said these were almost as good as the Duractracs in the winter. Looking for some more experienced opinions. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I went through one Colorado winter with 37" stt pro's. Not a lot of miles since snow/ice doesn't really stay on the ground more than a day or two along the front range there.

No experience with duratracs, but as a comparison, the stt''s performed better than Maxxis Bighorns MT's, and about equal to Falken Wildpeak AT's. (the bighorns and wildpeaks were siped by discount tire, the stt's were not).
Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! That seems pretty promising for the STT's. I just kinda want something that might be a little better than the Toyo MT's I've had on for the past several years. Great tires, but just a little sketchy at times on the slippery stuff.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my STT Pros in some deep snow and ice up here in the PNW, and they did ok aired down to around 5 psi. They didn't do any worse than the KM2's I had before. I love them as a DD tire. I do hear alot of great things from others I wheel with that have duratracs and they seem to love them in the snow. Siping definitely makes a difference as well. Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres my take on them and keep in mind I don't have a set I'm comparing my buddys jeep. There decent, not great. MUCH better then km2s but not as good as the ko2s ive ran. I right now have a set of ridge grapplers and think there about the perfect compromise. Not as good in snow and ice as a ko2 but nearly as aggressive as a sst pro (not quite) and better then they are on snow and ice and we get ALOT of it here. Bottom line big tires are not going to be a driveable as a set of dedicated small snow tires like blizzaks for example but most of us here want big and have to compromise somewhere. I think any of the three I listed will do fine for the guy that wants big tires and understands you might have to slow down a bit. I was torn between the pros and the ridge grapplers when I bought mine. I'm happy with my choice. There a good compromise tire that does fairly good in mud, snow, ice and sand (if aired down) and are no louder then the km2s on my Silverado and were a heck of a lot easier to balance.

Quick Reply: STT Pro's winter performance