Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Steering Stabilizer replacement?

Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At 11 years I think replacing the stabilizer is a good idea. I'm afraid I can't help you with which Fox stabilizer will work well, but after I smashed my stocker to shit on a large rock the OME kit with the relocation bracket has worked well for me.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainWhisky
At 11 years I think replacing the stabilizer is a good idea. I'm afraid I can't help you with which Fox stabilizer will work well, but after I smashed my stocker to shit on a large rock the OME kit with the relocation bracket has worked well for me.
I did remove it, and while it was off, I checked it out. It DID have some resistance in both directions, but nothing even close to the FOX. I just remount the old one, and am contemplating for now.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I've been happy with my Old Man Emu stabilizer. Pay attention to the location of the mounting bracket on the tie rod. The Old Man Emu distance was 16.5" and that was more than the prior stabilizer mount location.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Fox ATS, Teraflex one as mentioned in previous reply, or stock
The FOX ATS is this expensive one right? So that's not gas charged?
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16335_200X_PG.htm
Old 03-22-2019, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I've been irritated with the steering pull from the fox. I just ordered the TF so we'll see how that goes. The fox body does look real nice under there, just not worth having to hang on the steering wheel constantly to track straight
Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
I've been irritated with the steering pull from the fox. I just ordered the TF so we'll see how that goes. The fox body does look real nice under there, just not worth having to hang on the steering wheel constantly to track straight
what year is your Jeep? Please get back to us on your install and your satisfaction of the TF.

in the photos below we're looking at the passenger side bracket. When I was trying to install the fox there is no way I could install it in the same orientation as the original because the cylinder was too large in diameter to line up the holes. I thought I could spin it 180 degrees but that bracket still got in the way when I tried to turn the tires to the right. There are several brackets made to relocate the stabilizer that moves it on top out of the way and avoid that bracket. I'll be very curious to see if you have to use a relocation bracket on the passenger side because of a potential larger cylinder diameter on the TF.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I've used the TF model for a few years and it worked perfectly fine. Noticed it finally leaking oil and removed it. I've been without SS for over a year now and really just planning on going hydro so haven't replaced it. The only downside to the factory or the TF is if you use an aftermarket TR clamp, as often times the bolt that connects the SS to the clamp is too big to fit through the sleeve in the SS bushing. I've always just pressed the sleeve out and run the bolt right through the bushing itself (with no sleeve). Never had any ill effects......and again, this SS is really doing so little. It's just like the cherry on top of a sundae. If you got served a cherry-less sundae, you might be disappointed, but not missing THAT much and you'd still gobble it up.

I always do find some enjoyment that there is at least ONE thing on our JKs where the cheapest damn unit is perfectly fine!

Rednroll - y, I think you're gonna have to empty your wallet on the actual Fox ATS if you want that sticker.

If I recall properly, doesn't AEV use the Old Man Emu stabilizer on their jeeps? I think my buddy's AEV does even though they use Bilstein shocks. I've never looked at the OME SS, but I presume that is an oil filled unit as well which would explain bbolander's experience with it and why AEV would select that one.

***edit - given OP's last post above, I'd clarify my use of the TF model was after installing an Artec truss and raised TB bracket, so it had been relocated up above the TR. I had previously used a synergy relocate bracket to move the factory unit up above the TR.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-22-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I
Rednroll - y, I think you're gonna have to empty your wallet on the actual Fox ATS if you want that sticker.
Yep, currently my vanity is definitely subsiding to my cheap azzedry and common sense.

I did find a Youtube vid posted by someone who has the same vanity issues.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided to go with the TeraFlex 9550 VSS. $52. 👍
Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oops... Double post .Thanks again .

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Steering Stabilizer replacement?