Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Steering Stabilizer replacement?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yup, cheapest thing out there is fine. Honestly, unless your old factory is leaking, I'd just leave it. The Teraflex 9550 VSS is a good option as well and is ~$55 +/-. You really just want something with equal resistance extending and compressing.
I use this one also. I replace it every 2 years. I can tell the difference even if it isn't leaking between and old and a new stabilizer but probably because I'm doing 60mph on fire trails and it's just really beat up.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
After reading that I got excited and checked mine - no valve. Bummer
There's a discussion over here which goes into adding your own valve, but with the hassle and cost to do so, it doesn't seem worth it.
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/modif...-question.html
Old 03-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

The TF damper came in this morning and it was a quick swap:

Suddenly no more pull to the left. My only gripe is that one of the sleeves that came in the kit was too tight on the ID for the bolt. It was a split sleeve though so I just widened it up a bit and it works fine.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

The TF damper came in this morning and it was a quick swap:

Suddenly no more pull to the left. My only gripe is that one of the sleeves that came in the kit was too tight on the ID for the bolt. It was a split sleeve though so I just widened it up a bit and it works fine.
I noticed this when I went to put mine on too. I have a flip kit like you. Maybe that's the issue? I just left the sleeve off this time but I don't think that's really good for it?
Old 03-24-2019, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by EHarris
I noticed this when I went to put mine on too. I have a flip kit like you. Maybe that's the issue? I just left the sleeve off this time but I don't think that's really good for it?
I think the sleeve makes for a solid spot to tighten to, otherwise you can just keep cranking down on that rubber bushing. I don't know what kind of play you have without the sleeve, but any extra movement and the bolt threads on the rubber might make for longevity issues as well?
Old 03-24-2019, 05:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I think the sleeve makes for a solid spot to tighten to, otherwise you can just keep cranking down on that rubber bushing. I don't know what kind of play you have without the sleeve, but any extra movement and the bolt threads on the rubber might make for longevity issues as well?
Longest SS thread ever, but some good conversation points keep coming up! I happen to still have my old TF sitting in the garage. I'm guesstimating it was on for at least 2-3 years. I installed it with the sleeve pushed out since the bolt wouldn't fit. I 100% agree that the sleeve makes for a solid spot to tighten to, and without it, you could just keep going and going. At some point you just have to call it good. So, I just ran out to look at the bushing to confirm or not the amount of wear the bolt straight through the rubber had. In my case, zero. I can see where the washers I used on either side of the bushing compressed and left indention still, but I see no signs of bolt threads or anything that leads me to believe it wore at all due to the bolt. I think that in the case of the SS, it's doing so little, that it's ok. It's just not really seeing much force at all, and is just there to compliment the entire system that is really doing the work. If you can expand the sleeve at all like it sounds icrashbikes did, I think that is a better idea, but if you can't, I don't think it's detrimental to just push it out. I did the same with the old factory SS long ago when I moved to that Synergy clamp.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Definitly a long thread but we all run the teraflex so good info for sure.

Today when I change my diff fluid I'm gonna grind down the bushing and install it. I did the install at a friends house a few weeks ago and didn't have a grinder. I always wanted to put it in and I didn't really wrench it down. Just called it quits when it was snug.

Note that they give two bushings. One has a slot down the middle of the entire length and the other is solid.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by EHarris
Definitly a long thread but we all run the teraflex so good info for sure.

Today when I change my diff fluid I'm gonna grind down the bushing and install it. I did the install at a friends house a few weeks ago and didn't have a grinder. I always wanted to put it in and I didn't really wrench it down. Just called it quits when it was snug.

Note that they give two bushings. One has a slot down the middle of the entire length and the other is solid.
Yeah the solid one is a thinner material and fits. Too bad they didn't put two in the kit

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Steering Stabilizer replacement?