Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

super chips/bully dog/diablo sport?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you running 91 fuel? or just 87?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 PM
JK Newbie

are you running 93 fuel? or just 87?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default 24 mpg??

Originally Posted by Rudyh223
i just got the superchips flashpaq for my 2010 jk. used 93 octane tune and went on a roadtrip. i averaged 24 mpg on my 33x12.50 tires. really impressed
what fuel are you running?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by tylergurnee
You opened a thread from 2012, and that person hasn't logged in since 2014, so you probably shouldn't expect a reply.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-11-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by tylergurnee
Yes, very old thread.

I updated my Flashcal to the Flashpaq last year. I'm unsure if these tunings are worth the cost of admission. I've ran the 93 tune with 93 octane and did not notice an increase in gas mileage. I also did not notice an increase in acceleration. I'm starting to believe something else is either contributing to the observations stated, or some are falling victim to the placebo effect.

Here's some quantifiable tests I've run, which shows the 87 tune, with 87 octane actually accelerated faster than when I was running the 93 tune with 93 octane. I did multiple test runs and got consistent results.
93 Tune with 93 octane

87 tune with 87 octane

I've been waiting for the roads conditions to dry up and get better, and I'll be running some more tests with the other tunes but so far I'm unimpressed and am kind of leaning towards I've purchased some snake oil.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I've ran the 93 tune with 93 octane and did not notice an increase in gas mileage. I also did not notice an increase in acceleration. I'm starting to believe something else is either contributing to the observations stated, or some are falling victim to the placebo effect.
I could agree with that. I 'feel' the performance gain from inputting the correct tire/gear ratio (on my 3.8 auto, anyway). But generally can't tell the difference from the 8-10 HP that a tune gives.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I could agree with that. I 'feel' the performance gain from inputting the correct tire/gear ratio (on my 3.8 auto, anyway). But generally can't tell the difference from the 8-10 HP that a tune gives.
Earlier in this thread some have mentioned gas mileage improvements. I also think that is likely not accurate. No one tends to follow up later after making these observations. What I noticed is upon initial update to one of the SC tunes, is that I tend to see a 1-2 MPG gas mileage increase according to my EVIC. Then gradually over time I see it decrease. Currently I've been running SC's 87 octane tune for the past 4 months. Prior when running the stock tuning, I was seeing 15-15.5MPG from my EVIC. When I changed to the SC 87 octane tune, I was seeing 16.5MPG for about a month, where I thought, "Great, a gas mileage increase." Now that I've been running that tune for the past 4 months, I'm currently seeing 14-14.5MPG displayed on my EVIC. My thought is that after the custom program, all MPG EVIC info gets reset where you will likely see higher gas mileage readings from the EVIC until it's had more time to collect more information and average things out. I also observed higher gas mileages according to my EVIC when I ran the SC 93, 87, and Economy tunes after going through 2-3 tanks of gas with each. Then as the system learned more, things seemed to have dropped where the EVIC is likely displaying a more accurate reading since it has more data points.

So yeah, my gas mileage according to my EVIC dropped 2 MPG over the course of 4 months and is now worse than what I was getting prior to using a SC tune. So either something is now sucking my gas mileage down by 2 MPG over the course of those 4 months, or the initial readings I was seeing from my EVIC immediately after changing to a SC tune were not accurate.

I'm starting to believe the SC tunes on the most part are snake oil. They do something, but for the better or worse I really need to see some legitimate data that has been collected over a few months before I trust it.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-13-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: super chips/bully dog/diablo sport?