JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Supercharger or Tubo on 09 Auto? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/supercharger-tubo-09-auto-271601/)

Jsias 04-14-2013 05:11 AM

Supercharger or Tubo on 09 Auto?

Thinking bout adding a supercharger or turbo on my 09 unlimited down the road. Which would be better considering I have the 3.8 with 4 speed auto tranny? Would like both performance and longevity. Thanks!

vitodivita 04-14-2013 05:38 AM

I have neither of these mods, but based on research, the supercharger is going to be more beneficial offroad with the low end torque as compared to the turbo, which needs to spool up to give u boost. On the street the turbo would probably be a bit faster. Longevity I'd give to the supercharger.

Jsias 04-14-2013 06:07 AM

Thanks for the feedback Vito!

Kojack 04-14-2013 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jsias (Post 3517020)
Thanks for the feedback Vito!

I would go with the sprintex or aem superchargers. Best design for the jk useage.

jkhutchison09 04-14-2013 06:54 AM

The superchargers have been out on the market for quite some time compared to the turbos. I went with the Ripp and am very pleased with the results. The turbos also seem to be on the high end price wise compared to some of the other supercharger options.

kh202 04-14-2013 10:58 AM

Personally if you're geared properly to match tire size, don't really see where HP is really needed offroad to crawl. Sure it helps in dunes maybe or buggies on 44's lol. I would get what helps you on the road. Just my 2 cents. Never wheeled in a supercharged jk, maybe they're awesome? dunno

blue project 04-14-2013 12:42 PM

Im going with the sprintex becuase of cost. 55 hp at the wheels is more than enough. Just be sure to install a trans cooler. That is the number one issue with adding more power. Heck you can kill your trans just by not having one and driving.

Unforgivable 04-14-2013 01:28 PM

On a jeep? Really?

blue project 04-14-2013 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Unforgivable (Post 3517504)
On a jeep? Really?

Its a pos minivan motoer in a jeep so yup need all the power you can get!

Iblowstuffup 04-14-2013 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by vitodivita (Post 3516994)
I have neither of these mods, but based on research, the supercharger is going to be more beneficial offroad with the low end torque as compared to the turbo, which needs to spool up to give u boost. On the street the turbo would probably be a bit faster. Longevity I'd give to the supercharger.

This is always an odd statement I hear on this forum. Turbos can deliver tons of low-end torque. Diesel trucks make mad low-end torque. Infact, turbos are capable of producing maximum boost almost at low rpms where supercharges produce a fixed boost at a fixed rpm. Maybe it's the lag people are trying to say isn't good for offload?

I have the sprintex and its pretty nice.