Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchip? Flashpak?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip? Flashpak?

Hey guys... When i lift my 07 jku im putting 35/12.50/18 on stock wheels and 2.5 tf lift... Will the shop adjust my shift points and recalculate my speedodometer? Ive read about superchips... Flashpaks... But makes no sense to me how to do it... Is it something the garage will do? Or is it something that plugs in and cant be taken off? ... Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated....
Old 08-27-2011, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The dealership can adjust for stock 32" tires and smaller. Any taller, and you need an aftermarket programmer or tuner. (AEV ProCal, Superchips Flashpaq, etc) Once you use it, it is VIN locked to your specific JK and nobody else can use it. If you ever want to sell, you program your JK back to stock settings first to unlock it.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok.... Thank you... Is it easy to use? Program?
Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Freak

I have SuperChips and it has several settings already to go - just pick what you want and easy.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The procal is just dipswitches. Set it for the function you want and plug it into the port near your left knee. Super simple.

The flashpaq takes a bit more. You have to hook it to your computer and update, then plug it into the port, then follow some prompts, then decide which function you want to do and follow more prompts, and wait while it stores your stock settings, and wait while it installs the new tune, and follow more prompts, and... it's easy, just annoying at times.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The dealership can adjust for stock 32" tires and smaller. Any taller, and you need an aftermarket programmer or tuner. (AEV ProCal, Superchips Flashpaq, etc) Once you use it, it is VIN locked to your specific JK and nobody else can use it. If you ever want to sell, you program your JK back to stock settings first to unlock it.

I could be wrong, I just bought my Flashpac a few weeks ago but there is a $100 option to unlock the programer again, so you could pay a friend $100 and they could use theirs to program yours.

To answer the OP's question. You plug it in and follow the directions in the booklet and on screen and when it's done your ECM has been reprogrammed for the new shift points and you can unplug it from the port. It doesn't have to stay hooked up.

RT
Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rtwill78
I could be wrong, I just bought my Flashpac a few weeks ago but there is a $100 option to unlock the programer again, so you could pay a friend $100 and they could use theirs to program yours.
If you pay to have it unlocked and give it to your friend, guess what? It is no longer locked to yours, so you can't use it. It is LOCKED to one vehicle VIN at a time. While this may sound ok to you, as the first person will have the tuning/programming also, they have no way of changing any settings, or of going back to stock when they visit the dealership, or updating with new tunes or functions that superchips releases.

That's the whole purpose of vin locking. So one person doesn't buy it and then have 20 or 50 people just pass it around to tune everyones...

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-27-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rtwill78

To answer the OP's question. You plug it in and follow the directions in the booklet and on screen and when it's done your ECM has been reprogrammed for the new shift points and you can unplug it from the port. It doesn't have to stay hooked up.

RT
Butttttttttt if you do leave I hooked up you can run real time diagnostics of I think up to 4 engine parameters... For the flashpaq that is
Old 08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys... Gotta order one
Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are other options out there, Flashpaq used to be the default but I think they have lost the title as being the best. I have a Flashpaq, if I were in the market to buy now I would be looking hard at Bullydog etc.

Actually if anyone is looking for a used Flashpaq I would be willing to part with mine. It works fine but I am looking for more features, and hopefully better support.

Last edited by Jollydodger; 08-28-2011 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Superchip? Flashpak?