Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will taking the caliper off turn on ESP BAS?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will taking the caliper off turn on ESP BAS?

alright, i got my lift on over the weekend, but my ESP BAS light came on. I think i got my stearing wheel centered now..but the lights still on. Im afraid i might have turned the adjustment too much since im not sure how much my buddy turned it when he tried to adjust it. can anybody advise on this? you think the light being on has anything to do with me taking the caliper off during the install?
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nope...I don't think it has anything to do with your caliper.
Are you sure your steering is centered? Thats the most common problem that causes this post lift
also...it can take a few turns around the block to dissapear, so if everything is centered, just take it on a test drive and see if it doesn't dissapear after a few turns
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had it take 2 to 3 miles before the light went off.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

As they stated most of the time your steering wheel is not strait. You can take the caliper off all you want, just be careful not to pull on any of the wires or hose. Most of the wires are very sensative, so if you pulled one this might be your problem (but I doubt it).
Once your wheel is centered as they stated it will take a little bit to turn the light off.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

just to reitterate what everyone else has stated, no, taking off the calipers will not effect your esp/bas. the wiring isn't even attached to it for that matter. again, as they have mentioned, take your jeep around town once or twice and i think you will find that it will turn off on its own. if not, your steering wheel is most likely still off.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
just to reitterate what everyone else has stated, no, taking off the calipers will not effect your esp/bas. the wiring isn't even attached to it for that matter. again, as they have mentioned, take your jeep around town once or twice and i think you will find that it will turn off on its own. if not, your steering wheel is most likely still off.
its looks like its centered now....im not real comfortable with it since i turned it so much...alot more than the 3/4 turn they said too. i drove it 30 miles to work this morning, its still on. if you dont mind me askin, what would be a good way to try to actually center it? i dont think i did it right.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by greengiant
its looks like its centered now....im not real comfortable with it since i turned it so much...alot more than the 3/4 turn they said too. i drove it 30 miles to work this morning, its still on. if you dont mind me askin, what would be a good way to try to actually center it? i dont think i did it right.
if you were able to recenter it at all, i'm sure you did it right. it just take a few tries to get it on right. worse comes to worse, disconnect your neg bat lead for about 15 min and that will turn off your esp/bas light. basically, it will reset your computer. more than likely, it will stay off after that but if it comes back on, well, then your steering wheel is most likely still off a bit.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
if you were able to recenter it at all, i'm sure you did it right. it just take a few tries to get it on right. worse comes to worse, disconnect your neg bat lead for about 15 min and that will turn off your esp/bas light. basically, it will reset your computer. more than likely, it will stay off after that but if it comes back on, well, then your steering wheel is most likely still off a bit.
ill give that a shot. i know i turned that drag link way to much...i hope it doesnt screw anything up.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

one more thing...when i adjusted the steering wheel, i had the front wheels off the ground..should it have been running? or does it not matter? this seems like a really stupid question.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

Center it with wheels on ground. I had same light when I put my lift on... centered steering and it went away. Not sure how much "stuff" you removed during the lift install... Make sure you didn't damage the wire going to the abs sensor on the spindle. I think it is clipped on the upper part of the brake line (front sendors). I know if this or the sensor is bad... you will get the lights. Just something else to check... If that is bad, dont panic, the wire and sensor come as one assy and costs 9.00. Have to remove the rotor to replace it though.

Last edited by cgtweet; 10-13-2009 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Will taking the caliper off turn on ESP BAS?