Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superwinch Epi9.0 mounted on Factory Bumper

Old 07-27-2007, 07:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superwinch Epi9.0 mounted on Factory Bumper

Well I was getting impatient waiting on my Smittybilt SRC Grill Guard front bumper to ship, so I decided to try my hand at mounting my winch and keeping the stock bumper for now. I didn't want to pay an outrageous amount of money for the Warn winch mount plate, so I took a chance and bought the Harbor Freight "Winch Mount for Jeep" item number 3444-1VGA seen here

It says it fits "...all Jeep Wrangler models from 1987 through 2003" according to their web site, but it was only $29.99 + shipping and looked generic enough I thought I could make it work. Well I did, but getting everything done wasn't the easiest task, but in the end it only cost me $35 or so for the winch plate and another $5.00 for six 1/2" grade 8 bolts, nuts, and flat/lock washers. Those were used to mount the winch plate to the top of the frame rails. Sorry I didn't take pics while I was doing it.

Basically what I did 1st was remove the front bumper (plastic outer skin and metal inner.) The winch plate I laid directly on top of the frame rails. Luckily, the outer holes in the plate lined up great with both frame rails. I put the metal skin back in place, then laid the plate down to see where I needed to trim. I marked the metal, then bolted the inner skin back to the Jeep, then trimmed the metal skin with a reciprocating saw so it would clear the plate. I took it back off, then scooted the winch plate as far forward as I could (the front of the plate was against the top side of the front bumper mount plates). Then I drilled six 1/2" holes (3 per side). I used my grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers and bolted the plate down. After that I bolted the fairlead to the plate, then bolted the winch on. Then I eyeballed the plastic bumper skin and started cutting it for clearance around the winch and fairlead. After much trimming and re-trimming to get it to fit, I got it bolted back on. I started to do the stubby bumper mod at the same time. but I was tired of working on it at that point so I quit. Here are some pictures of the results. I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. Excuse the dirty Jeep, I haven't cleaned it since last weekend's outing, and I'm going wheeling again tomorrow.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

very nice job.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks darn right professional.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dang, that looks good. Somewhere, I read that the electronic disconnects pose a problem for mounting winches to the stock bumper. Did you notice anything like that?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi Master

Looks good, I like the way it is recessed in the plastic. I think it looks better that way.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dude, you rock. I've been waiting for someone else to try this before I started cutting up my bumper. How long were the 1/2" bolts you used on the frame rails?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by schwarzjp
Dude, you rock. I've been waiting for someone else to try this before I started cutting up my bumper. How long were the 1/2" bolts you used on the frame rails?
Thanks guys! I need to go ahead and do the stubby mod and plastic weld some end caps on.

The 1/2" bolts I used were 1.5" long. I used a flat washer under the bolt head, and a lock washer on the nut side.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
Thanks guys! I need to go ahead and do the stubby mod and plastic weld some end caps on.

The 1/2" bolts I used were 1.5" long. I used a flat washer under the bolt head, and a lock washer on the nut side.
If you do the stubby mod, you should look into re-using the ends of the bumper you cut off, as endcaps. They look to be the same size all the way to the end. Just cut about 8-10 inches off the the scrap ends. Depending on how much you cut off and re-use, it might be a stubby or mid length.
Hope this made sense the way I described it

I would love to see a pic of this.

Last edited by VBS4; 07-28-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is really nice and seeing it prompted me to do the same thing. hopefully you will be willing to post help if I run into trouble.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rramsdell
That is really nice and seeing it prompted me to do the same thing. hopefully you will be willing to post help if I run into trouble.
I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. It's not quite as simple as what I posted, but if you are able and willing to tackle it you should be able to handle it. Just be sure to have a reciprocating saw and a nice sharp razor blade style knife handy.

Quick Reply: Superwinch Epi9.0 mounted on Factory Bumper