Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension solution for a very heavy expedition 2007 JKU

Old 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suspension solution for a very heavy expedition 2007 JKU

I have a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon that I use for expedition style off-roading and camping. With the modifications I've made and all my gear, it's very heavy. I'm looking for advice on an suspension upgrade that will handle the load (and still be reasonable when unloaded).

Current modifications include 35" tires on 17" aftermarket allow wheels, flat fenders, 1.25" body lift and a steel rear bumper with swing away tire carrier (which also holds two 5 gallon gas cans, a Hi-Lift jack and a shovel). Suspension is stock other than AirLift air bags in the back (which are terrible and fail all the time).

The numbers...

Stock weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 4,860 pounds (2,530 pounds front, 2,330 pound rear)
Modified weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 5,200 pounds (weight distribution unknown)
Expedition weight with driver and a full tank of gas: 5,940 pounds (2,540 pounds front, 3,400 pounds rear)

So, with all my stuff I'm 1,080 pounds heavier than stock (1,070 pounds of that on the rear axle) and day to day driving around I'm 340 pounds heavier than stock. Some of that is the unsprung weight of the larger wheels and tires of course.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a suspension system that would meet my needs? I'm not looking for a lot of lift... carrying capacity is the most important thing.

Thanks!

Mike

Last edited by OpenTrackRacer; 05-05-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't know my weights, Mike, but I run very heavy. I have 2.5" TF coil lift with OME HD springs on the rear, 35" tires. It works for me. Feel free to check out my videos at DigitalByDoiron on YouTube to see what I do and how I do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
So, with all my stuff I'm 1,080 pounds heavier than stock (1,170 pounds of that on the rear axle) and day to day driving around I'm 340 pounds heavier than stock. Some of that is the unsprung weight of the larger wheels and tires of course.
im confused by this?

coilovers would be adjustable...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

Not sure what part is confusing. The increased weight of the aftermarket wheels and tires is unsprung weight (like the brakes, axles, etc.) and is not carried by the suspension.

Coilovers are an option. Hell, everything is an option!

Originally Posted by Maertz
im confused by this?

coilovers would be adjustable...
Old 05-02-2014, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

Do you know which OME springs you have in the rear? Also, why OME out back and Terraflex up front?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I don't know my weights, Mike, but I run very heavy. I have 2.5" TF coil lift with OME HD springs on the rear, 35" tires. It works for me. Feel free to check out my videos at DigitalByDoiron on YouTube to see what I do and how I do it.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be way off here, but an extra 1000 pounds isn't exactly "very heavy". I don't think of mine being terribly heavy:

5 37" MTRK's : 365 lbs.
RK arms: ballpark 50 lbs
Front and rear bumpers: 150 lbs.
Skids and rock rails: 250 lbs?

These are all pretty conservative I think (I've never actually weighed them) but that's already 815 lbs before my 270lb ass steps in or throws in tools, recovery gear, and a generously stocked cooler. Throw in 2-3 more people and you're easily to 1500 lbs.

I think the short answer to what would we recommend is almost any reputable lift. Most of them are built with a heavier modified vehicle in mind.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what part is confusing. The increased weight of the aftermarket wheels and tires is unsprung weight (like the brakes, axles, etc.) and is not carried by the suspension.

Coilovers are an option. Hell, everything is an option!
i know what unsprung is...

you say 1080 heavier than stock and 1170 of that is on the rear? 1170 can not be a split like that the first number should be larger no?

But yes coilovers would be an easy option. But I agree with others. 1000 is not bad especially when some of that is unsprung.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:20 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The OME HD or HD+40 coils would be a good way to go. You could also do the JKS ACOS so you could adjust for different heights for trips and daily driving.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Do you know which OME springs you have in the rear? Also, why OME out back and Terraflex up front?

Thanks!
I have the 2.5" TF lift, which works great with my Jeep. However, when loaded down heavy, my Jeep sagged in the rear. A friend of mine with a very similar Jeep (except I have an '07 and he a '12, and we have different overhead racks) had the same problem. The sag is all of the way down to the bumpstops on the rear when loaded down for a trip. This does not happen with the softtop/safari top/no top and when not loaded down for a trip. So that would be "not heavy". LOL. In that case the rear end is jacked way higher than the front (with the OME HD springs). So, I keep the TF springs on the rear when the hardtop is not installed, and put the OME HD (and that is exactly what they are called: "OME HD") on the rear when I install the hardtop. Bear in mind that my hardtop has the MBRP overhead rack, which adds quite a bit of weight in its own right. And my rear end is pretty loaded down with other gear to support expedition travel ...

My friend's Jeep. He is all of the way down on the bumpstops in the rear in this image. After this trip, I would go with him to his home in WA and we would replace his rear springs with the OME HD springs. He ordered them from David at Northridge. If you tell David that you have a 2.5" TF lift with too much sag in the rear and you would like OME HD springs to address that, he will get you a set of the correct ones. Sorry, but I'm not a very good person for remembering exact part numbers and such.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you thought about air leveling springs?

Disregard I see you already tried that.

Last edited by JDaPP; 05-03-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Suspension solution for a very heavy expedition 2007 JKU