Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway bar End link length - somethings wrong

Old 02-09-2018, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Seizer
Sorry to hijack. Karl I intend on lifting my Jeep 2.5" with the MC kit. I bought JKS quick discos 0-2" figuring that I wasn't going to go beyond 2". I'd like to save some scratch and not get the MC end links, and reuse my JKS ones. Do you have any idea if my JKS will be able to adjust long enough for 2.5" lift?
I have the MC 2.5" coils that will be going on soon, so I will have a pretty good idea then. I intend to reuse mine though.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Another way to look at it is to figure how much longer the front shocks are than stock (~21.7") when fully extended. Add the extra shock length to the ~5.2 inch length of the stock front sway link. That should guarantee the links won't go over-center (flip) at full shock extension, and be close enough geometry wise.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Darn it. I guess I'll have to resell them on Craigslist. I don't have stock bumpers, they are definitely heavier steel bumpers, but like nthniuf stated winch and bumpers still high. Oh well new links!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Wow, a good bit of info here. Let me answer a few of questions:
1) The nut on the end link bolt was loose on purpose
2) @resharp001, great diagram, thanks! I measured mine and find the shock at 20 1/4 vs the called out 18 1/2 and my spring at 11 1/2 vs the called out 9 3/8".
3) I bought the Jeep with this sway bar and with these 5" links. I'm hunting for a pair of quick disconnects.

I think I know what it is! Its the dang front bumper and 10k lb winch! The 2 pics show another view of my 3" puck lift, notice the puck and notice the bump stops. Heck, my new bump stops will barely have room to fit in there before they start to hit. Can that much front weight squish the suspension that much? If I pull up on the bumper I can gain an inch pretty easy. Hmm

P.S. my pics are too big. must need to resize them?

Last edited by 2coldnpagosa; 02-09-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

To me, that sway bar is angled way to low.....ie, your links are way too short indeed. I'm not all that surprised that heavy bumper and winch are really weighing on the factory coils. Even though you have 3" pucks in there for a boost, those springs weren't really intended to take on such weight like an aftermarket spring is. Maybe it's time to upgrade to some actual springs and sell the pucks.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
To me, that sway bar is angled way to low.....ie, your links are way too short indeed. I'm not all that surprised that heavy bumper and winch are really weighing on the factory coils. Even though you have 3" pucks in there for a boost, those springs weren't really intended to take on such weight like an aftermarket spring is. Maybe it's time to upgrade to some actual springs and sell the pucks.
I hear you! My next search is going to be on upgraded springs to compensate for the front end weight. What I really need is a new 2.5-3" lift with springs, arms and the goodies that didn't come with this inexpensive lift.

Quick Reply: Sway bar End link length - somethings wrong