JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Switching to synthetic oil (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/switching-synthetic-oil-97526/)

Waiting 08-12-2009 02:06 PM

Switching to synthetic oil

I only have just over 500 miles, and will be changing my own oil in the future. I want to swith to synthetic and have a few questions.
1. When should I do my first oil change?
2. Can I switch to synthetic right away, or should first use a synthetic blend before going 100% synthetic?
3. At what intervals should I change my syn oil and filter? Can I wait for the oil change light, or do it every 6K miles, or at other intervals?

MoridinTX 08-12-2009 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Waiting (Post 1283502)
I only have just over 500 miles, and will be changing my own oil in the future. I want to swith to synthetic and have a few questions.
1. When should I do my first oil change?
2. Can I switch to synthetic right away, or should first use a synthetic blend before going 100% synthetic?
3. At what intervals should I change my syn oil and filter? Can I wait for the oil change light, or do it every 6K miles, or at other intervals?

1. 500 miles is good, to get the initial breakin material out. Many will agree, and just as many will not.

2. Yes you can go synthetic right away. I use Mobil 1, as do many others.

3. Manual says longest interval not to exceed 6k miles, follow that in the extreme so as to not void your warranty. I and many others still change every 3K miles. It really depends on how you drive. If you stay onroad/highways 6K is fine. If you go offroad or pull / tow stuff then follow 3K change interval.

crazyhorse02 08-12-2009 02:24 PM

I use mobil1 as well. I stick to every 5k miles. In reality, if your not towing or putting extreme loads on the engine u can put about 8k on this type of oil. 3k miles for normal oils is a scam also, the 3k marker was set before these newer engines were put in place. They are much less harsh on oil etc.

deekum1627 08-12-2009 03:02 PM

i just hit 1,000 miles ill go with amsoil

JeepDawg 08-12-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by crazyhorse02 (Post 1283524)
I use mobil1 as well. I stick to every 5k miles.

This is what I do as well......no issues

Waiting 08-13-2009 05:28 PM

On another note, will saving the oil & filter receipts allow me to save my warranty? I don't have to go to the stealership or Jiffyscam do I?

GoodysGotaCuda 08-13-2009 05:30 PM

I ran 1000miles on my stock stuff before swapping to BMW Synthetic (free to me). I just keep oil filter receipts

sktdarkstar8 08-13-2009 07:15 PM

i changed right to syn oil from regular once i bought mine.. i change mine every 3500 to 4000 which might sound like to soon but i would rather keep my engine running fresh all the time but im sure you can change at higher mileage.. i use quakerstake full syn.. its good stuff

Jiblet 08-22-2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Waiting (Post 1285726)
On another note, will saving the oil & filter receipts allow me to save my warranty? I don't have to go to the stealership or Jiffyscam do I?

yes, you are allowed to do your own maintenance, just keep a good paper trail.

any name-brand syn oil is good for a 5-6k change interval. Lot's of hard or dusty wheeling would shorten the interval. So would lots of really short trips where the engine doesn't get up to "operating" temp long enough to dry out any water condensation (because acids can form).

people/companies talk about extended drain intervals but I would never go over one year, regardless of mileage, especially in a northern clime with a cold winters.

as said above, 500 miles is a good time for a first change; straight to syn is fine. You may want to do your diffs, too. So very easy on the JK.

RN M OVR 08-22-2009 05:40 PM

Because your JK is new, look into changing your diff oil after the break in also. I changed mine at 1k and you won't believe how much metal particles will come out in the oil -- hence the name "break in period."