Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?

Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?

What are the pros and cons of synthetic vs steel winches? I'm only in the assumption that synthetic is supposed to be better since they're more expensive than steel, but I'm just looking at what makes them different and one better than the other.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Price doesn't always reflect on the "best".
Depends on your usage and location...
For me steel is the only way to go. I'm on the east coast with alot of nasty terrain. I hook my shit to whatever I want and pull without worries. I would fray a synthetic my first time out. Another good thing about steel vs synthetic is the ability to straighten a tie rod or drag link with steel, if you had synthetic it would fray when rubbed against the bumper.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^

https://www.warn.com/blog/2011/11/18..._is_best.shtml
Old 07-20-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Wow, I was expecting to see ten posts expounding on the vast superiority of synthetic...

I am running steel also. Same cable that has been on the winch since I bought it 16 years ago. I've tossed around the idea of swapping over to synth a few times, but always seems to be too much money and hassle when the steel is still in decent shape.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Wow, I was expecting to see ten posts expounding on the vast superiority of synthetic...
Haha...give it time.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-21-2016 at 04:58 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

This has been hashed over a million times.

My opinion:

Steel all the way. Winch responsibly, and you won't have any worries. If you play in the rocks you are better off with steel. It is heavy, but so is every other accessory that goes on a jeep.

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-20-2016, 05:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear, I was leaning towards steel for the price and durability, but I always enjoy hearing peoples views, good or bad, on things to get the best idea of what I'll get out of something.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Synthetic comes in different colors and looks cool though.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I wont put down steel but I tell you synthetic is so nice to spool out and spool back in. No worry of kinks or cutting your hands if you are a he-man who doesn't wear gloves when spooling back in. I am amazed that it does not break tho. I have been using mine now for 3 years and have done a lot of hard pulls in the snow buried deep and pulling up hill. I swear it is going to break but it stretches a bit and then slowly up comes the jeep like a kid learning to water ski lol.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Steel is going to be better for the environment here- the sand and salt. That nasty, dusty clay down at URE is also bad for the fibers in synthetic line. Synthetic requires a little more maintenance and care.

That being said- I went synthetic. It's my daily driver so weight is a priority. My winch is for 'emergency' use so if I'm pulling it out then something has gone seriously wrong. With proper maintenance, it shouldn't present me with any surprises.

Quick Reply: Synthetic vs Steel Winch Inputs?