Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillights

Old 01-06-2007, 12:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillights

Well, I've already posted on one thread based on looks (stickers), so what the heck:

I don't like the taillights. Can somebody please break one against a tree, and then tell us what kind of hole is behind it?

But seriously, how big of a hole is back there? And, does it look like I could switch to LED's?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail light opening and reverse bulb filaments

I took mine apart yesterday just to see. It's a fairly big hole, almost as big as the light. The tail light assembly is actually only held to the Jeep by the inner 2 screws. The outer ones just hold on a plastic spacer that fits the corner. Also, I found out that the reverse bulbs are a 2 filament bulb, but only a single pole socket. I bent the extra contact wire over so that both filaments would burn, but cant really tell if it makes things brighter.

Last edited by Renegade; 01-06-2007 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Bummer.
Oh, well. They'll be coming off anyway, since it looks like I'm gonna have to make my own corner armor. I'll just put the LED's on that.
Thanks for the info.

I was considering just leaving them on and only covering the exposed sheet metal with 1/4", but I think LEDs will be cheaper to replace. Hopefully Donavee sees this and will quote a price on the taillight housings.

I was on tanks for 8 years. I like driving through stuff. Frontwards and backwards and sidewards and greenwards and mentalwards...
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Junkie

Default Hard Corners

I'm pretty sure I saw some "hard corners" on one of the AEV SEMA Jeeps. You might want to check with them to see if you could get some without the taillight hole cut out. Then you could cut your own hole to whatever size you want.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do, anyway. I get steel for $5 a sheet, with college discount. Guess I'll be using the shop plasma cutter again (Joy of joys!) and a torch to bend the corner. I'll check out the SEMA showcases for tips.
It's a shame, cause I just REALLY like seeing aftermarket stuff like this. I know they're working on it. I guess the delay's caused by having to set up a large scale production line. No doubt they'll have something that I'd like sooner or later. Shame they're not already out, since the aftermarket work is often much more nicely made than my rickety creations. I'm not keen on having them custom create items for me, as it might be outrageously expensive.

I think steel corner guards work would look killer painted to the factory code, and set with flat top countersunk machine screws. A pair of LiteDots, or just the large-hole generic brands would be just right. Might have to screw around with the flasher, and hopefully that won't turn out to have repercussions.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Corner Armor

AEV

http://aev-conversions.com/

Old 01-06-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, great!
Weird, I was actually on that site at about 0800 this morning, looking at the brute (again). Guess I didn't scroll down far enough.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by directedby
Corner Armor

AEV

http://aev-conversions.com/

Sorry for the dumb question here: Is the corner armor metal ? My best guess it's plastic...right?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by biglynny
Sorry for the dumb question here: Is the corner armor metal ? My best guess it's plastic...right?
Why on earth would anybody make plastic armour?

Yes, it's 1/8 inch stamped steel.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Website says .125" steel, even though they resemble the rubber knock-offs. I'm glad they're not aluminum, either, or diamond plate. They say they're powdering coating them, which is pretty cool. The price is not too shabby. I was hoping for something with a little more coverage over the tire, but these guys seem first to the punch.

I like seeing the plasticy license plate bracketry removed, but they don't seem to have provided an alternative. Not a big problem.

Quick Reply: Taillights