Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping a Steering box

Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping a Steering box

Does anyone have the specs for drilling and tapping the JK steering box for hydraulic ram assist? I'm not sure I want to add ram assist yet, but if I do, I prefer not to tie it up for 2 weeks for my box to be shipped in for tapping. Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

West Texas Offroad won't give out that info due to liability. My JK only has 3500 miles on it and don't want to exchange it for a rebuilt one. They don't have one anyway.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to bump this back up to see if anyone knows where to drill & tap? Couldn't find anything helpful pirate.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Originally Posted by AlexC
I'm going to bump this back up to see if anyone knows where to drill & tap? Couldn't find anything helpful pirate.
I believe PSC has a bolt on item that replaces the input shaft nose cone. Very clean way to go.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

No such item is listed on their site for the JK.

I work in the world of hydraulics so cylinders and fittings are cheap. Plus I can make my own custom hoses. I was just looking for some input if someone already knew where the best place to punch through was to avoid clearance issues etc.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlexC
No one has the locations for drilling and tapping the holes?
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did it. Really easy. It would be pretty hard to screw up, honestly. For one of the holes, you could be drunk and not mess it up. The other is a pretty tight tolerance, but its location makes it very hard to make a mistake. Btw, this information is for the second gen steering box, which I believe started with 2008 or 2009 JKs.

The picture shows the two locations. The one on the side closest to the steering shaft output is easy. That is essentially a large reservoir. I picked a spot approx. in the middle. For the second hole, if you look at your box (hard to see in the pic) there is a step in the box (see second picture). That is where it gets drilled. In there is a vein that is pretty small, but I doubt it could be missed given the size of the hole drilled.

As far as the actual process, drill pilot holes, but not all the way through. You only want to berak through all the way with the final bit (reduces any chance of getting metal in the box). Also, drill upside down so the chips fall down away from the box. When tapping, put grease on the end of the tap and go a little at a time and then clean it off and repeat. Again, limits metal getting into the box. Once tapped, run some sort of small magnet inside to catch an shavings that may have entered. All in, the process took me 30 min. It really isn't bad.

Lastly, I built my hydro using PSC parts, but higher quality hoses and fittings. Rather than spending $2200 on a PSC kit, I have $1000 all in, including steering fluid. Below the pictures is a full parts list (it is all Parker fittings and hoses).

This may seem overwhelming, but once you get it mapped out in your head, it will all make sense. Reference the PSC kit for a visual and then they also have a diagram of a system layout. I'll put a summary of parts at the bottom as the writing is long winded.

Some of this is personal preference. As for the basics, call PSC and order:

- 6.75" stroke ram (talk to them about bore size)

- JK reservoir and mounting bracket

- JK power steering pump and mounting bracket (note that the brackets are different for 2012+)

- 4 quarts of the swepco power steering fluid (that's what they recommend, it is fairly priced, so may as well use it).

What you need beyond that is hose, fittings, and a cooler if you choose. The cooler is cheap, easy to install, and a no brainer.

- Cooler (comes with barbed fittings): Aluminum Heatsink Transmission Cooler, 12 Inch

- Adapter fitting for the JK steering box (existing hole that you will run the cooler to). I have to double check which one I used as I got two. The two existing ports are different sizes, one is 16mm and the other is 18mm. I ended up reusing the line from the pump to the box and didn't need the adapter. They're cheap, so you could just buy both.

Steel Power Steering Box Adapter Fitting 16mm-1.5 IFM/-6 AN, 80-Up GM

Steel Power Steering Box Adapter Fitting 18mm-1.5 IFM/-6 AN, 80-Up GM

There are two hose sizes used in the system and everything is AN (Army Navy). Most everything is -6AN, except the large hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump and that is -12AN.

One of the members here who has a bad a## Jeep is a hydraulic steering engineer at Parker (one of the best in hydraulics). They have Parker stores in many cities or you can certainly order online. Fragola also makes nice stuff, but I went Parker since the member here literally gave me the part numbers.

Here we go - all Parker parts:

- Fittings for the holes tapped in the box (assuming you tap your own): 6 FTX-S

- All lines except the two high pressure lines to the ram will be 801-x hose. So, from the res to the pump, it is 801-12 (for -12AN fittings) and the rest will be 801-6 hose (from res to cooler to box).

- High pressure lines will be: 451TC-6 or 451ST-6, or equivalent. When I bought it there was a new hose out so that is what they gave me.

- I used push-lock fittings in the low pressure lines since you can do those at home. The fittings depend on where you mount stuff as they come in straight, 45* and 90*. For a 2012+ JK, this is what worked for me.

- The res needs two fittings, a -6AN and -12AN. I used a 45* for the -12 and 90* for the -6. Parts are: -6AN 90* (33982-6-6), and -12AN 45* (33782-12-12). The pump used a 90* -12AN, which is (33982-12-12)

Before you get all confused, it is really simple. There are three part numbers for angle and then it is just -xx-xx for the line size.

90* fittings are 33982. And then it is -6-6 or -12-12 for the size.
45* are 33782 and then -xx-xx for the size
Straight is 30682. So, put the parts in and figure out what will work best for you. Again, for a 2012+, the above works well.

Now all that is left is the ram lines. You already have the hose from above. I chose to get crimped fittings, but you can get field serviceable if you choose. The crimped ones have to be done by a shop, but the nice thing is that you can line them up at the angles you want and then crimp them. The hose is not flexible, so this is a real benefit.

The fittings again are based on angle and size. I used 2 90s out of the box and one 45 on the ram and one straight (I think that is also how PSC sends it in the kit).

- Crimp fittings: 10643-6-6 (straight), 13743-6-6 (45 degree) or 13943-6-6 (90 degree)

SUMMARY
- 6.75" stroke ram

- JK power steering pump and mounting bracket

- 4 quarts of the swepco power steering fluid

- Cooler: Aluminum Heatsink Transmission Cooler, 12 Inch

- Metric adapter fittings: Steel Power Steering Box Adapter Fitting 16mm-1.5 IFM/-6 AN, 80-Up GM

- Tapped hole box fittings (need 2): 6 FTX-S

- Low pressure hose: 801-6 and 801-12

- High pressure hose: 451TC-6 or 451ST-6, or equivalent.

- High pressure crimp fittings (you use 4 total): 10643-6-6 (straight), 13743-6-6 (45 degree) or 13943-6-6 (90 degree)

- Low pressure fittings: (2) -12AN and (2) -6AN

90* 33982 (And then it is -6-6 or -12-12 for the size).
45* 33782
Straight 30682

Last edited by Invest2m4; 08-20-2015 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I just did it. Really easy. It would be pretty hard to screw up, honestly. For one of the holes, you could be drunk and not mess it up. The other is a pretty tight tolerance, but its location makes it very hard to make a mistake. Btw, this information is for the second gen steering box, which I believe started with 2008 or 2009 JKs.

The picture shows the two locations. The one on the side closest to the steering shaft output is easy. That is essentially a large reservoir. I picked a spot approx. in the middle. For the second hole, if you look at your box (hard to see in the pic) there is a step in the box (see second picture). That is where it gets drilled. In there is a vein that is pretty small, but I doubt it could be missed given the size of the hole drilled.

As far as the actual process, drill pilot holes, but not all the way through. You only want to berak through all the way with the final bit (reduces any chance of getting metal in the box). Also, drill upside down so the chips fall down away from the box. When tapping, put grease on the end of the tap and go a little at a time and then clean it off and repeat. Again, limits metal getting into the box. Once tapped, run some sort of small magnet inside to catch an shavings that may have entered. All in, the process took me 30 min. It really isn't bad.

Lastly, I built my hydro using PSC parts, but higher quality hoses and fittings. Rather than spending $2200 on a PSC kit, I have $1000 all in, including steering fluid. Below the pictures is a full parts list (it is all Parker fittings and hoses).

This may seem overwhelming, but once you get it mapped out in your head, it will all make sense. Reference the PSC kit for a visual and then they also have a diagram of a system layout. I'll put a summary of parts at the bottom as the writing is long winded.

- JK power steering pump and mounting bracket (note that the brackets are different for 2012+)

- 4 quarts of the swepco power steering fluid (that's what they recommend, it is fairly priced, so may as well use it).

What you need beyond that is hose, fittings, and a cooler if you choose. The cooler is cheap, easy to install, and a no brainer.

- Cooler (comes with barbed fittings): Aluminum Heatsink Transmission Cooler, 12 Inch

- Adapter fitting for the JK steering box (existing hole that you will run the cooler to). I have to double check which one I used as I got two. The two existing ports are different sizes, one is 16mm and the other is 18mm. I ended up reusing the line from the pump to the box and didn't need the adapter. They're cheap, so you could just buy both.

There are two hose sizes used in the system and everything is AN (Army Navy). Most everything is -6AN, except the large hose that runs from the reservoir to the pump and that is -12AN.

One of the members here who has a bad a## Jeep is a hydraulic steering engineer at Parker (one of the best in hydraulics). They have Parker stores in many cities or you can certainly order online. Fragola also makes nice stuff, but I went Parker since the member here literally gave me the part numbers.

- All lines except the two high pressure lines to the ram will be 801-x hose. So, from the res to the pump, it is 801-12 (for -12AN fittings) and the rest will be 801-6 hose (from res to cooler to box).

- High pressure lines will be: 451TC-6 or 451ST-6, or equivalent. When I bought it there was a new hose out so that is what they gave me.

- I used push-lock fittings in the low pressure lines since you can do those at home. The fittings depend on where you mount stuff as they come in straight, 45* and 90*. For a 2012+ JK, this is what worked for me.

- The res needs two fittings, a -6AN and -12AN. I used a 45* for the -12 and 90* for the -6. Parts are: -6AN 90* (33982-6-6), and -12AN 45* (33782-12-12). The pump used a 90* -12AN, which is (33982-12-12)

Before you get all confused, it is really simple. There are three part numbers for angle and then it is just -xx-xx for the line size.

Straight is 30682. So, put the parts in and figure out what will work best for you. Again, for a 2012+, the above works well.

Now all that is left is the ram lines. You already have the hose from above. I chose to get crimped fittings, but you can get field serviceable if you choose. The crimped ones have to be done by a shop, but the nice thing is that you can line them up at the angles you want and then crimp them. The hose is not flexible, so this is a real benefit.

The fittings again are based on angle and size. I used 2 90s out of the box and one 45 on the ram and one straight (I think that is also how PSC sends it in the kit).

- Crimp fittings: 10643-6-6 (straight), 13743-6-6 (45 degree) or 13943-6-6 (90 degree)

SUMMARY
- 6.75" stroke ram

- Metric adapter fittings: Steel Power Steering Box Adapter Fitting 16mm-1.5 IFM/-6 AN, 80-Up GM

- High pressure crimp fittings (you use 4 total): 10643-6-6 (straight), 13743-6-6 (45 degree) or 13943-6-6 (90 degree)

45* 33782
Straight 30682
Thanks for the quick response and all the info!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

SUMMARY
- 6.75" stroke ram

45* 33782
Straight 30682
Unfortunately, all your pics are gone. Any chance you can upload them again? I need to do this mod...my steering box is toast but I got one from a friend that replaced his with a big bore. Mine is holding on still, so I'll just take it easy until I have this new box tapped and ready to go.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

This does a good job of showing where to drill.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...st-psc-291295/

Quick Reply: Tapping a Steering box