Teraflex 2.5 post install questions - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Teraflex 2.5 post install questions

Reply

 
 
 
Old 07-31-2017, 04:08 PM
  #1  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Co Springs, CO
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Teraflex 2.5 post install questions

Wrapped up the install of my lift last week, spring lift with Bilstein 5100s and an RK front track bar. Couple of questions that linger:

The instructions on the kit say that the rear track bar should bolt into the top hole on the relocation bracket, however when it is in that position the bolt and nut make contact with the spring. I have it bolted into the bottom hole now and there seem to be no issues. Am I missing something, or should I leave it as is?
darien99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:39 PM
  #2  
JK Junkie
 
karls10jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 2,946
Thanked 21 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Have you tried flipping the bolt to face the other direction? Rock Krawler isn't necessarily thorough in their directions but I recall some manufacturers ask you to flip that bolt.
karls10jk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 PM
  #3  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Co Springs, CO
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karls10jk View Post
Have you tried flipping the bolt to face the other direction? Rock Krawler isn't necessarily thorough in their directions but I recall some manufacturers ask you to flip that bolt.
The kit didn't come with instructions, which seems like an obvious oversight, but I was able to pull them up online. They don't say anything about flipping the bolt, only that it's a flag nut which means it needs to hook on something to tighten.
darien99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 PM
  #4  
JK Newbie
 
Woody208's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Just a thought but have you emailed Teraflex...their customer support was great when i was installing mine. i know when i downloaded instructions from the internet, they were close but not exact for what actually was to be done...their customer support answered all my questions.
Woody208 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:12 AM
  #5  
JK Junkie
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 2,844
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Default

This isn't a Teraflex specific issue....really seems to be an issue with all the kits that use a standard raised bracket there on the rear. Best you can really do is flip the bolt and insert it rearwards so the head is by the spring and the nut is in towards the back of the jeep.
resharp001 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:20 AM
  #6  
JK Junkie
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula,mt
Posts: 3,757
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
This isn't a Teraflex specific issue....really seems to be an issue with all the kits that use a standard raised bracket there on the rear. Best you can really do is flip the bolt and insert it rearwards so the head is by the spring and the nut is in towards the back of the jeep.
this...flip the bolt.
jadmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:11 AM
  #7  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Co Springs, CO
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I got under there today and re-checked things - the bolt makes contact with the spring when placed in the top hole, regardless of whether its head facing in or head facing out. It may be a moot point however -

The point of the bracket is to help recenter the axle after the lift, right? With the bolt in the top hole it shifts the Jeep 1/4" or more too far to the drivers side. It's better in the bottom hole, however it's still about a 1/4" canted drivers side. How far can the axle be off before its an issue?
darien99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:16 AM
  #8  
JK Junkie
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 2,844
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Default

A lot of the raised brackets that come with lifts don't offer multiple mounting options....they just give you one hole to mount to. Jeeps will all sit differently post-lift due to various modifications, and Teraflex is nice enough to offer a couple options. Some people with that same lift might need to mount in the top hole due to their circumstances. If you're finding better luck with it mounted in the lower hole, there is no issue with that. Measuring these things is sometimes difficult, but there will be a small difference between the two mounting locations with the upper hole pushing the axle a bit more driver's side than the lower. I'd have to think if you're measuring 1/4" too far driver in both the upper and lower mount, then there is just a small bit of measurement error in there. If you unbolt that rear TB and try to line it up with the other hole, you're physically gonna have to nudge the body one way or the other to get it to line up......there is no way around that.

Outside of buying an adjustable rear TB, you can't dial it in exactly. You shouldn't notice anything major being off by 1/4". I'd mount in the lower hole in your case and not worry about it.
resharp001 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM
  #9  
JK Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Co Springs, CO
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
A lot of the raised brackets that come with lifts don't offer multiple mounting options....they just give you one hole to mount to. Jeeps will all sit differently post-lift due to various modifications, and Teraflex is nice enough to offer a couple options. Some people with that same lift might need to mount in the top hole due to their circumstances. If you're finding better luck with it mounted in the lower hole, there is no issue with that. Measuring these things is sometimes difficult, but there will be a small difference between the two mounting locations with the upper hole pushing the axle a bit more driver's side than the lower. I'd have to think if you're measuring 1/4" too far driver in both the upper and lower mount, then there is just a small bit of measurement error in there. If you unbolt that rear TB and try to line it up with the other hole, you're physically gonna have to nudge the body one way or the other to get it to line up......there is no way around that.

Outside of buying an adjustable rear TB, you can't dial it in exactly. You shouldn't notice anything major being off by 1/4". I'd mount in the lower hole in your case and not worry about it.
I don't want anyone to misunderstand - I'm not trying to complain about Teraflex's product at all, just to clarify what the correct positioning is. I probably wasn't clear - the axle was a full 1/2" canted toward the drivers side in the top hole, about a 1/4" in the lower hole. I did have to rock the Jeep to get it into the respective holes in the bracket, that's correct.

I did call Teraflex this afternoon and the tech said that the correct position for the 2.5" kit is the lower bolt hole, that the upper should be used for 3" and higher.
darien99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:52 PM
  #10  
JK Junkie
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 2,844
Thanked 80 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by darien99 View Post
I don't want anyone to misunderstand - I'm not trying to complain about Teraflex's product at all, just to clarify what the correct positioning is. I probably wasn't clear - the axle was a full 1/2" canted toward the drivers side in the top hole, about a 1/4" in the lower hole. I did have to rock the Jeep to get it into the respective holes in the bracket, that's correct.

I did call Teraflex this afternoon and the tech said that the correct position for the 2.5" kit is the lower bolt hole, that the upper should be used for 3" and higher.
THAT makes perfect sense. I think you must have just had a typo in your previous post as you stated both measurments left you 1/4" to the driver's side.
resharp001 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: